Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rattleling when letting off gas

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rattleling when letting off gas

Ive been noticing a rattleling sound when you depress the gas on the higher gears, typically in 4th and 5th, i can hear it in the other gears but 4th and 5th seems to be the most present. Like if you were going 50mph and you let go of the gas and decel. It almost sounds like my s2000 when i put an ACT clutch in it and the clutch disk springs would rattle on decel. Im on stock clutch btw. If anyone of you guys are still on stock clutch and go drive your car with the windows up and music completely off, and see if this happens to you and let me know i would really be thankful. Any of you guys experiencing this?????
Old Nov 30, 2009, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

Remove Your exhaust manifold heat shield, then have a friend rev and let off the gas at idle... while you look at where your wategate actuator arm is attached to the turbo. If its remotely loose it will vibrate and rattle on decel.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Are you sure it is not the fluttering sound from an aftermarket intake, when you release the gas pedal below 0 psi boost? It sure sounds like it.

A list of mods would surely help. Have you done down pipe mod? if so, it could definitely be the heat shield.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Is it a 'harmless' rattling, or a sound like maybe some damage is occuring? My TC made a LOUD decel rattle for a while before it finally let go... It doesn't sound like that's the issue though especially is you've never messed with the TC fluid or the clutch.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 09:40 AM

Remove Your exhaust manifold heat shield, then have a friend rev and let off the gas at idle... while you look at where your wategate actuator arm is attached to the turbo. If its remotely loose it will vibrate and rattle on decel.
This one can be a possibility, since i did the waste gate actuator mod a few months back. Im going to try this with a buddy. What do you recomend if this is the case???

Are you sure it is not the fluttering sound from an aftermarket intake, when you release the gas pedal below 0 psi boost? It sure sounds like it.
Yeah im sure is a rattling sound, i do have flutter from the K&N cone filter i got in there, but its verry different from flutter sound, its more like a matal to metal sound. The only mods i have on the car : Cone filter on factory components, wastegate mod turned 3 times and i took the restrictor pill out of the master clutch cylinder. Everything else is stock.

Is it a 'harmless' rattling, or a sound like maybe some damage is occuring? My TC made a LOUD decel rattle for a while before it finally let go... It doesn't sound like that's the issue though especially is you've never messed with the TC fluid or the clutch.
If you have the windows down and the music on (not loud music, but just to a level that you can confortably hear it) you wont hear it that much, or sometimes at all. Im sorry, im not a car noob, but what is a TC??