Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Installed CBE, now car won't start

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP: Installed CBE, now car won't start [Resolved]

Just as the title says. The only thing I can think of would be the O2 sensor in the cat, but I didn't even touch that. Any things to check?

All fuses under the hood look fine. I didn't check the fuses under the dash. After looking at the diagram for the fuses there, there doesn't appear to be anything that would cause a no-start scenario. Time to unhook the exhuast at the cat and try again.

UPDATE: I unhooked the catback portion from the CAT and ran it open cat and the car started. As soon as the gasket fell out from between the cat and the CBE, I noticed the smell of fuel. This leads me to believe there is blockage somewhere in my catback exhuast, but now that I got it started, I'm going to try to hook up the CBE to the cat to see if it starts or not. If not, then I'm going to have to drop the CBE and look for restrictions.

UPDATE 2: Re-attached the CBE to the Cat and the car fired right up. Next I checked for exhaust leaks. I found one on one of the exhuast clamps so I readjusted it and tightend it down and one of the pieces in it shattered. See pic. I thought these things were supposed to be strong? Either that or my workout routine has been paying off ...annnnnd I broke another installing the Ti tips. These clamps !@#%$^ suck!

The good news is I am up and running with no exhaust leaks. I will post a before/after video clip soon. Thanks for everyone's help!
Attached Thumbnails Installed CBE, now car won't start-dscf0937.jpg  

Last edited by cool_g_83; Jan 19, 2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Silly question, but did you disconnect the battery when you installed the exhaust? Sometimes the simplest things can be overlooked

There shouldn't be an issue with just installing a CB....
Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:18 PM

Nope, I didn't disconnect the battery. Any other ideas?

Wow this is frustrating...

Last edited by cool_g_83; Jan 17, 2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

did you install it or a shop ? does it get any power (does it crank )check the battery front (under the hood ) and rear (trunk )for connection
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cool_g_83
Nope, I didn't disconnect the battery. Any other ideas?

Wow this is frustrating...
No, previous poster said to DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!!! This resets the ECU for you once you put a new part on the car. Disconnect the negative terminal for 10 minutes, reconnect and start the car without touching the gas, let it idle for 10 minutes, and the ecu is re-set. Unless you shorted something out, this is odd. You didn't drain the battery listening to the radio while you installed it did you? It turns over but no start?? Or not even a click when you turn the key?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by imboostinnow
did you install it or a shop ? does it get any power (does it crank )check the battery front (under the hood ) and rear (trunk )for connection
I installed it, yes it cranks. I've uploaded a video here.

The only things that I think are even a slight possiblity are:

A. Something in the exhaust blocking flow
B. O2 sensor got jacked up somehow

Can anyone provide the symptoms of either of those scenarios?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
No, previous poster said to DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!!! This resets the ECU for you once you put a new part on the car. Disconnect the negative terminal for 10 minutes, reconnect and start the car without touching the gas, let it idle for 10 minutes, and the ecu is re-set. Unless you shorted something out, this is odd. You didn't drain the battery listening to the radio while you installed it did you? It turns over but no start?? Or not even a click when you turn the key?
See video in my previous post.

Opps sorry, I misread that. Ok, I disconnected the - terminal and gave it 10 min. Then re attached it and tried again. Still chugging away like in the video. ARGH

Last edited by cool_g_83; Jan 17, 2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:40 PM
abu
Evolving Member

Was the door open or light on while you were changing it which drained the battery? Try charging the battery.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I guess it's possible that if the exhaust is completely blocked off somewhere that no air will flow through the engine and it won't stay running for more than a moment. Resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery only takes 30 sec, i think if you wait longer like 10 min you will mainly reset your stereo presets and other memory settings. It's possible that if you didn't have the battery disconnected while installing the catback that you shorted something out and blew a fuse, double check those just in case. Hopefully you'll figure it out soon!
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

From the video, it seems like a fuel delivery issue. Check your fuses, especially your fuel relay.

Was the exhaust custom fabricated?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by cornercarver
From the video, it seems like a fuel delivery issue. Check your fuses, especially your fuel relay.
+1 Youve got to start eliminating variables. Sounds like its not the battery or starter. Is it getting spark...fuel...
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cool_g_83
Just as the title says. The only thing I can think of would be the O2 sensor in the cat, but I didn't even touch that. Any things to check?

EDIT: It is not the battery. See this video.
o2 sensor would not cause a no start condition. Check fuses and relays. Have a friend lay down near the back of the car, turn the ignition on, and see if you can hear the fuel pump prime.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Check for the usual suspects, fuel, spark, fuses, relay etc. It's not the battery, its cranking pretty good. If all else fails, push start the ****er lol
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:33 PM

Agreed. Pull a plug, check for spark, see if you're getting fuel.

Air - Fuel - Spark. It's one of those three. That said, I've got no idea what's causing it...

Originally Posted by heel2toe
+1 Youve got to start eliminating variables. Sounds like its not the battery or starter. Is it getting spark...fuel...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hiboost
I guess it's possible that if the exhaust is completely blocked off somewhere that no air will flow through the engine and it won't stay running for more than a moment. Hopefully you'll figure it out soon!
Luckily I'm off tomorrow, so I will disconnect the exhaust at the cat and try starting again.

Originally Posted by cornercarver

Was the exhaust custom fabricated?
Exhaust is Invidia Q300. I will check the fuses in the morning. Any of special importance other than the fuel relay that I should check?

Originally Posted by Grip Master
o2 sensor would not cause a no start condition. Check fuses and relays. Have a friend lay down near the back of the car, turn the ignition on, and see if you can hear the fuel pump prime.
Thanks for the info, I didn't think a jacked up O2 on the cat would cause a no start condition. I will listen for the fuel pump priming.

Originally Posted by Rik84
Agreed. Pull a plug, check for spark, see if you're getting fuel.
Sorry for the dumb question, but how do I check for spark after pulling the plug? How do I check to see if I am getting fuel?

Thanks for the help guys! I will update some of these tomorrow after I've had more time to look it over. Keep suggestions coming please!

Quick Reply: Installed CBE, now car won't start