Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Twin Disc Clutches

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2010, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin Disc Clutches

So, I've done some searching on this forum and have read up on the "best" clutch to buy for my evo x. I have an evo VIII with an Excedy twin disc and love it. I've also driven the SAME clutch on my brother's WRX.. and hate it.

Anyway, my evo is getting some power and will most likely get a 30R size turbo (for reference) upgrade in the comming months and I would like to have a clutch that fits the bill.

As of now, i've narrowed it down to the Exedy twin or the cusco twin... I've read that it's exactly the same thing.. but want to make sure before i spend 1800$.

I also want to konw from people who HAVE the clutch how daily driving is. I daily drive the X and plan to after I get the clutch. So in other words.. i'm looking for MAX driveability... but obviously have to sacrifice some of it to hold more power..

I would like to know the answer to the following questions.
1) how much does the clutch chatter when driving.. I realize that it may not happen ever time so please be descriptive
2) any issues with the clutch?
3) their opinion on if they'd buy it again or their recomendation.

Updated.. Decided on the Exedy Twin HD. Ordered it from MAPerformance.... was the best deal i could find!! save yourself time by reading this.

Last edited by SLW EVO; Feb 9, 2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Same clutch different color/price.

I love DDing on that clutch.

Chatter at first was noticable with my setup, but it has gone away at idle with the clutch in.

No issues, all though you might have issues with the CMS.

100% I'd buy this clutch again unless I outgrow it.

FYI, make sure you get the HD one .
Old Feb 7, 2010, 03:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had an Exedy Twin in my 8.
After that had an Exedy Twin in my 9.
Waiting for Exedy Twin for my X to arrive now.

Would I buy it again? How do I feel about the clutch? I think the previous 3 lines should answer everything for you (yes I daily drive my car)
Old Feb 7, 2010, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SLW EVO
1) how much does the clutch chatter when driving.. I realize that it may not happen ever time so please be descriptive
2) any issues with the clutch?
3) their opinion on if they'd buy it again or their recomendation.
I use the cusco twin

1. never when driving, but stopped, clutch depressed there is a distant 'rattle' not bad though

2. It needs to be abused, if you drive like a girl it will 'sing' ,a launch and some hard driving and it's fine again

3. Fells barely any heavier than stock, very quiet for a twin, it's a no brainer imo, excellent

Last edited by MarkM; Feb 7, 2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 06:30 AM
4DR
Evolved Member

Im looking into the Cusco as well, but where are the cusco rebuild kits and how much do they cost in comparison to the exedy?
Old Feb 7, 2010, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

As far as the cusco clutch, when you are speaking about the clutch "singing", you mean it humms a little as the clutch engages right? Also is your version of the cusco the HD equivalent to the exedy?

Cool! well who knows the best/cheapest place to buy these things! i'mma purchase this week!

Thanks again
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4DR
Im looking into the Cusco as well, but where are the cusco rebuild kits and how much do they cost in comparison to the exedy?
It's a blue colored exedy twin......... You rebuild it with an exedy rebuild kit.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SLW EVO
As far as the cusco clutch, when you are speaking about the clutch "singing", you mean it humms a little as the clutch engages right? Also is your version of the cusco the HD equivalent to the exedy?

Cool! well who knows the best/cheapest place to buy these things! i'mma purchase this week!

Thanks again
^ This...

My Exedy twin disk makes a sort of howling sound when it engages, is this normal?
Old Feb 8, 2010, 05:11 AM
Evolving Member

I have the exedy HD and love it. I had chatter for first week. After my first launch it never chattered again. I have put 5000 miles and a couple launches On it so far. Tranny shifts smooth with no issues.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DirtyCookieX
^ This...

My Exedy twin disk makes a sort of howling sound when it engages, is this normal?
yes it hums/sings, it means you're not driving it hard enough!!!! Couple of launches and some decent driving and it goes
Old Feb 8, 2010, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exedy Twin HD here. It's my daily driver, and not too much different feel than stock. It's a little harsh at first, but after a little bit of driving and some launches, it will break in nicely. If you have an exhaust, you probably won't be able to hear the chatter. I can't unless I really listen for it.

I also have the AMS Stainless Clutch line and AMS Master Cylinder reinforcement ring. Both I would recommend when replacing the clutch.

It is my first twin, and I love it. I came from ACT street's and won't go back. I can launch time and time again, and it just holds.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

sweet I am ordering it from MAPerformance.. hopefully by tomorrow!!!! also will take your advice and get the SS clutch line and master cyl reinforcement ring. !

http://www.maperformance.com/exedy-s...ion-evo-x.html

Ok last minute before i purchase, this is the clutch everyone is talking about right? HD version.

Last edited by SLW EVO; Feb 8, 2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

^ Is the ring the best way to go or spend $300ish on the SST Upgraded MC
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would do the SSP upgrade personally. It all depends on driving habbits and clutch choice though.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

ordered teh clutch! best deal out there!!

Quick Reply: Twin Disc Clutches