Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Let's Try This Again...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyD
MHI builds a better turbocharger than Garrett, they just don't cater to the aftermarket. Goes all the way back to the DSM days where the old 14b and 16G turbochargers were not only better performing than the crappy Garrett T25 and T28 turbochargers, they also lasted twice as long.
Apples and oranges my friend. Standard bearing vs dual ball bearing is no competition. Garrett all the way..
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by criptballer
says the guy who thinks that AiResearch Industrial Division or garrett automotive, which is an branch of AlliedSignal, got bought out by honeywell..... when in fact, they bought out honeywell and just adopted their name....

wow. you realize you're talking about garrett right? do you even know how big garrett is? honestly, they could give a **** less about "our community" or even the whole aftermarket scene for that matter! we provide probably less than 10% of their revenue, so for them to admit to this and take the time to fix a little problem on the waste gate actuator arm and plate says a lot to me. Especially after talking to the engineers at SEMA. and i'm sure that the guy with the warranty issue would get it taken care of if he would contact garrett directly, but that's pretty hard to accomplish....
If Garrett didn't care about the aftermarket scene or our community, why make the turbo and sell it in the first place. Why show the world you made it at SEMA? And why would they later fix it and re-release it?

I think they do care a lot more about our scene and the aftermarket community then you think they do.

I think its great they have finally admitted fault and done something about it. Now we might finally see more then one persons results documents and shared. I know of at least one shop/vendor on here they got there hand's on this turbo to test, but wouldn't share there results. Hmmmm....
Old Mar 3, 2010, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Because it did not make power well enough.

Originally Posted by weap0n
If Garrett didn't care about the aftermarket scene or our community, why make the turbo and sell it in the first place. Why show the world you made it at SEMA? And why would they later fix it and re-release it?

I think they do care a lot more about our scene and the aftermarket community then you think they do.

I think its great they have finally admitted fault and done something about it. Now we might finally see more then one persons results documents and shared. I know of at least one shop/vendor on here they got there hand's on this turbo to test, but wouldn't share there results. Hmmmm....
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by weap0n
If Garrett didn't care about the aftermarket scene or our community, why make the turbo and sell it in the first place.
Make money.

Why show the world you made it at SEMA?
To attract people with money.

And why would they later fix it and re-release it?
To continue to make money.

But in all seriousness I'd really like to know more about this turbo and why it didn't work the first time around. Was the WG flapper the only issue? I've only seen results from one person (Hiboost) on both these boards and EXFs.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by criptballer
and i'm sure that the guy with the warranty issue would get it taken care of if he would contact garrett directly, but that's pretty hard to accomplish....
Couldnt reach them directly or don't know how so I went through my vendor. But they ignored me completely so I took it in the *** and bought more part like everyone else with the 3076r and got the ATP downpipe with a tial 44mm ewg.

Originally Posted by stokEd
But in all seriousness I'd really like to know more about this turbo and why it didn't work the first time around. Was the WG flapper the only issue? I've only seen results from one person (Hiboost) on both these boards and EXFs.
I read of them blowing up but my personal experience been decent other then the WG flapper breaking off. Made 450whp on E85 all bolt ons. alil more laggier then the fp red or dom2. Definitely wouldn't buy it for the price or customer service again.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 01:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stokEd
Make money.

To attract people with money.

To continue to make money.

My point exactly.

I don't think my sarcasm came though in my post.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by linjy2
From my personal experience I definitely wouldn't buy it for the price or customer service again.
This is a solid reference from an "actual owner" of that Garrett bolt on turbo. This type of feedback means more than a hand full of Evom members going by hear say..
Old Mar 4, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've seen this letter before it got posted and while I applaud them for coming out with a fix, how they left all the purchasers of the turbo in the air before the fix was NOT the correct way to do business. Why did I have to purchase an ATP O2 DP with External Tial WG just to correct an issue that Garrett had in their design from day one?

Really the main problem is when you sell parts for cars that require more than 1-2 hrs of labor to install or un-install, having to remove the said defective part to get it serviced is a ROYAL pain in the you know what. Honestly even if I could have gotten my turbo replaced under warranty, the 1-2 week downtime I was looking at without an advanced replacement would have been erased with rental car bills since it's my daily driver. I would be willing to pay several hundred dollars more up front if it meant that the quality was top notch but instead we got a product that should have been tested more thourougly before being released to the public. The very idea that unexpected high EGT's was the cause for failure is mind boggling since any test for 30 minutes of road course driving even at low boost would have exposed the problem BEFORE it hit the shelves.

I'm installing my coilovers this weekend and if the weather holds I'll swap on my summer wheels/tires and try and get some Dyno runs in at STM with the latest setup.

Last edited by Hiboost; Mar 4, 2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awfully early for summer tires, lol. Be careful
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Old Mar 5, 2010, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

I'd be afraid that that could still "machine" its way off, because it can still rotate a good 300* one way and back.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Golden
I'd be afraid that that could still "machine" its way off, because it can still rotate a good 300* one way and back.

my broken flapper.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Golden
+1 that thing can still move around.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

we provide probably less than 10% of their revenue,

I would say 1% or less.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Does this mean x-nay on the new garrett ay?