Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

*video*Clicking sound from turbo area

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am talking about the background tapping sound that seems to repeat itself.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 03:24 AM

Can you try this
hold your revs first at 2k & then at 3k and notice if the sound changes speed or goes away
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Madrican
This is normal I believe. My friend has a GSR which he installed 1000cc injectors with fuel rail and he said it sounds like a diesel now also.
Thanks for the heads up. Peace of mind is sweet.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Madrican
What do you mean by exhaust issue? Are you talking about the exhaust heat shield or something else?
heat shield or something in that area.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by e_leo
Can you try this
hold your revs first at 2k & then at 3k and notice if the sound changes speed or goes away
Its funny that you said this because I just finishing doing this. I couldn't tell what was going on . The exhaust and intake note block out all the noise on the header. Also once I told my wife to let go of the gas it magically went away.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 05:08 AM

Search for loose jubilee clips on the turbo inlet pipe
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

dump
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:47 PM

Eh not trying to hijack but the constant clicking noise that you hear on his video is how my car sounds. I have always wondered if it was an engine issue.. Someone said injectors? Is that constant clicking engine noise i hear ok?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm, you know that clicking sound from the exhaust when you turn off the engine after a 10 minute drive, it happens because the exhaust is cooling down. there's nothing wrong with it, its just how it is.

but in your case, since the engine is still turned on, I don't know what to say. but the clicking is very similar to the sound I just described. It could just be the exhaust and there's probably nothing wrong with it. I for one, have stopped listening and paying attention to little rattles and noises on the evo, I have come to terms with the fact that its normal for this car to have all those sounds. I just hope that negligence does not come back to bite me in the ***.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Its your plastic piece on top of your valve cover and because your in a garage. Take off the plastic piece and re-listen it'll sound normal. The cover is dampening engine sound under the valve cover but is letting one of the sounds get out so it sounds like a abnormally. The garage tight space is bouncing the sound and making it louder and more noticeable. Just a theory heh
Old Apr 27, 2010, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ZWingerRyRy
Its your plastic piece on top of your valve cover and because your in a garage. Take off the plastic piece and re-listen it'll sound normal. The cover is dampening engine sound under the valve cover but is letting one of the sounds get out so it sounds like a abnormally. The garage tight space is bouncing the sound and making it louder and more noticeable. Just a theory heh
I wish your theory was right. I tested the vehicle with the cover and heat shield removed when I was checking for exhaust leaks after replacing the downpipe. The noise was still there while conducting the test. The area the noise seems to be coming from is around the driver side of the enigine, close to the firewall, and close to the turbo area.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TrackDays
Eh not trying to hijack but the constant clicking noise that you hear on his video is how my car sounds. I have always wondered if it was an engine issue.. Someone said injectors? Is that constant clicking engine noise i hear ok?
If you are talking about the injector pulse then yes it is normal (which is the constant clicking). The noise I am trying to figure out is the background noise. Its the clicking noise that start and stops when the engine is warm.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CatalystGod
hmm, you know that clicking sound from the exhaust when you turn off the engine after a 10 minute drive, it happens because the exhaust is cooling down. there's nothing wrong with it, its just how it is.

but in your case, since the engine is still turned on, I don't know what to say. but the clicking is very similar to the sound I just described. It could just be the exhaust and there's probably nothing wrong with it. I for one, have stopped listening and paying attention to little rattles and noises on the evo, I have come to terms with the fact that its normal for this car to have all those sounds. I just hope that negligence does not come back to bite me in the ***.
Since there isn't a performance shop over here that knows about the EVOs. I went to a mustang performance shop since they are known for hooking up superchargers and etc. They told me the same thing as you said, but he wasn't sure at all.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Can you hear this noise coming out of your exhaust? Like something is rattling? I started a threat about that (thats my issue) I noticed the clicky noise before I put on my exhaust but now with the exhaust its louder. The thing with my noise it goes away after the car warms up.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine does it as well just not as loud. Sound is coming for the same area on the back of the engine. I never could figure it out so I gave up.

Quick Reply: *video*Clicking sound from turbo area