Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

*video*Clicking sound from turbo area

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erniebu
Can you hear this noise coming out of your exhaust? Like something is rattling? I started a threat about that (thats my issue) I noticed the clicky noise before I put on my exhaust but now with the exhaust its louder. The thing with my noise it goes away after the car warms up.
I don't hear any ununsual noise from my tailpipes and the clicking sound I am getting starts when the engine is warm.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smoothevo
Mine does it as well just not as loud. Sound is coming for the same area on the back of the engine. I never could figure it out so I gave up.
I feel like given up too, but I am afraid of something breaking causing damage to my engine. Since I have mods on my car the dealer is going to give me problems.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

fail.. this is not normal.. I hear the injectors ... but the other is has to be the stock gasket loose.. or could be something else.. what mods you have..

EDIT: did you reuse any OEM gaskets north of the cat? My friend had a similar noise on his tBE.. and it was due to a stock oem gasket on the dp flapping around coz he didn't have a good seal..

Last edited by chidevildog; Apr 28, 2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chidevildog
fail.. this is not normal.. I hear the injectors ... but the other is has to be the stock gasket loose.. or could be something else.. what mods you have..

EDIT: did you reuse any OEM gaskets north of the cat? My friend had a similar noise on his tBE.. and it was due to a stock oem gasket on the dp flapping around coz he didn't have a good seal..
The only OEM gasket after the turbo outlet is on the connection between downpipe and turbo, everything else is aftermarket. I am about to do a exhaust leak test sometime this week just to make sure. I did lift the car, turn on the engine, had someone press the gas, and no leak but a real test is always better.

On the side note I did find a old post from like 08 about lifter tick. From what I understand, the OP is saying about the same thing as me.

This is the link:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...gine-tick.html
Old May 12, 2010, 01:30 AM

this might be dumb, but are your O2 sensors screwed in tightly? i had some rattling sound (not clicking) and its cause when i installed my dp, i forgot to tighten my O2 sensor.

other than that, i'd say its really hard to tell especially from a video.

GL
Old May 14, 2010, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IrvineXGSR
this might be dumb, but are your O2 sensors screwed in tightly? i had some rattling sound (not clicking) and its cause when i installed my dp, i forgot to tighten my O2 sensor.

other than that, i'd say its really hard to tell especially from a video.

GL
Nope, the o2 sensor is tight. I had this sound before upgrading when the downpipe and 02 pipe were stock.

I did notice that when I baby the car I don't here the clicking noice.
Old May 14, 2010, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my GSX sounded like that when the gasket between the turbo and manifold busted. I 2nd the exhaust leak test.
Old May 16, 2010, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BigT
my GSX sounded like that when the gasket between the turbo and manifold busted. I 2nd the exhaust leak test.
Might be...When I changed the downpipe w/02 pipe to the AMS downpipe. I notice a leak between the stock downpipe and 02 pipe connection. I will do the exhaust leak test soon.
Old May 17, 2010, 08:00 AM

i had the exact same noise. after weeks of looking around i found it was coming from the turbo section. and in fact it was the heat shields. after i got my ams downpipe installed and the heat shields were taken out and put back in the noise went away. it only use to happen when the car got warm. Sometimes the noise was very constant and sometimes irregular.
Old May 18, 2010, 10:13 PM

ok good well at least i now know my car isn't the only one that is doing this, oh and btw my car is stock other then suspension. but mine doesn't go away, it just gets louder and quieter, faster and slower.

another thing i noticed was also a really high pitched sound coming from the driver side rear wheel well, its quite annoying and have been told that it could be a little leak somewhere.

I'm going to take it to the dealership and ill let everyone know what they say about the clicking and if i do in fact have a leak.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Phantom09
i had the exact same noise. after weeks of looking around i found it was coming from the turbo section. and in fact it was the heat shields. after i got my ams downpipe installed and the heat shields were taken out and put back in the noise went away. it only use to happen when the car got warm. Sometimes the noise was very constant and sometimes irregular.
I wish it was the same for me, lol. I replaced the downpipe with the ams downpipe and still have the noise. When I had everything removed I looked everywhere for a leak or something that could cause that noise. I couldn't find anything lose and everything look normal.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blincoln423
ok good well at least i now know my car isn't the only one that is doing this, oh and btw my car is stock other then suspension. but mine doesn't go away, it just gets louder and quieter, faster and slower.

another thing i noticed was also a really high pitched sound coming from the driver side rear wheel well, its quite annoying and have been told that it could be a little leak somewhere.

I'm going to take it to the dealership and ill let everyone know what they say about the clicking and if i do in fact have a leak.
Let me know what the dealer says. I took my car in and they told me that they couldn't hear the noise and this was after my car was there for 6hrs. Dealer sucks over here.
Old May 19, 2010, 04:21 PM

My engine has been doing that noise for the past 25k miles. I've kind of learned to let it go, but it does annoy me once in awhile. I have the following mods:

UR Exhaust
SC TP
Intake
UICP
EBC
with a tune.
Old May 19, 2010, 05:51 PM

IT IS DEF NOT AN EXHAUST LEAK!!! people that think its an exhaust leak FAIL!!

you can hear the injector patterns and that is normal

the other sound you are hearing is something loose. you can hear it rattling from the engine vibrations. Look really close at the turbo make sure nothing is loose, see if you can find any chaffing spots on lines, i've even heard of people with loose motor mount bolts, check everything you can touch or see in, it might even be a bolt that dropped and just sitting there vibrating. im hoping for your sake that its not coming from inside the engine.

I had a piece of my piston bouncing around in my engine and then made its way back to the turbo fins but thats a completely different sound.
Old May 19, 2010, 08:44 PM

took a video of my car today, same sound but you can hear it a bit better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yIlLOP1zHY

Quick Reply: *video*Clicking sound from turbo area