Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

*video*Clicking sound from turbo area

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2010, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car makes some strange sound while idling. But it goes away when you give it gas. If the sound goes away while the engine is revved? Then I wouldn't worry about it. But I'm no mechanic.

Every car that I've ever owned made weird nosies. My BMW sounded like the valves were tapping (they weren't) for 30k miles on. Sold the car (for the EVO no less) after driving it for 105,000 miles. The sound was still there. Drive and enjoy.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:19 PM

My car makes the exact same noise, I jus started noticing it when i did my oil change. Kinda relieved that i'm not the only one , must be a mitsubishi thing?

Originally Posted by blincoln423
took a video of my car today, same sound but you can hear it a bit better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yIlLOP1zHY

Last edited by ct63084; May 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:28 PM

Also I only have a catback, panel filter and a gst tune. Also I had my aem wideband on the DP, they had to remove it to get the bung welded in.
Old May 24, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

I don't get it, . The noise left for about 6 days and all a sudden it came back. So far the engine is running great, no engine lights and etc.. It just bugs me that I can't find what is making the noise.

I checked the fuel line recall that was done on the car because if I remember correctly I didn't have this until a week after the update. Found nothing wrong with the fuel line. Whatever is causing the noise seems to be affected by heat. I never get the noise on cold start up.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have this noise car has 26k on it and totaly stock any chance the wase gate could be fluttering in the manifold causing the noise?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by milleniumx
I also have this noise car has 26k on it and totaly stock any chance the wase gate could be fluttering in the manifold causing the noise?
I don't think this could be the cause of the problem. When I replaced my downpipe I checked the wastegate assy and turbo blades. Found no problem with either.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
build date

What is the build date of your car mine is dec of 2007 just curious.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

May 2008 is when my car was built.
Old May 6, 2011, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry for the big bump here... My car started making this noise today after driving it really hard after work. I just installed a drop in filter a few days ago so I wanted to check for any air leaks when I parked today and I heard a louder noise coming from turbo area that has never been there before. Sounds exactly like the videos in this thread.
Old May 8, 2011, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sfearl1
Sorry for the big bump here... My car started making this noise today after driving it really hard after work. I just installed a drop in filter a few days ago so I wanted to check for any air leaks when I parked today and I heard a louder noise coming from turbo area that has never been there before. Sounds exactly like the videos in this thread.
I never found out what is causing the noice but I also stop worring about it. I have 24K miles now, upgrade turbo, and more and haven't ran into any problems with the engine so far.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

Any updates on this? I have the exact same sound now
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

+1 on the "NOT exhaust leak" You can hear the obvious injector pattern which is the consistant tick. Have you tried cleaning your TB with some seafoam or using a vac line to the IM poor a small bit of seasfoam through there on a hot engine an let it sit for 10 minutes. Cracking the car will be abnormally hard but the only other thing that it might be aside from what has been mentioned is a valve getting sticky. This seems to be a issue with mitsu. If you wait too long between oil changes I have seen this before on my car (non evo but still the same principle) Ill clean the TB with seafoam spray or generic carb cleaner and you may notice that the noise will gradually dissapate however may not go awy completely. You mentioned you running stage 2 cobb so with that in mind your running inherently more rich now. Old oil=massive carbon build up=sticky valves. By no means am I saying this is your problem just something to consider as I had the same issue when I first got my car.

Another possible but perhaps not too far off question would be whats the mileage on your clutch? Throwout bearing in the transmission has done that to me once.....

Best of luck. It would be nice if we could get a solid resolve on the matter.

I think its fair to say the majority of mitsu dealships mechnic shops suck *****. Iv told techs whats wrong with theirr own auction bought cars with a tactrix and my trusttee IBM Thinkpad. Then I proceed to ask what they drive "Oh I drive a subaru impreza" Tho I do like a nice wrx
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by andy2964
+1 on the "NOT exhaust leak" You can hear the obvious injector pattern which is the consistant tick. Have you tried cleaning your TB with some seafoam or using a vac line to the IM poor a small bit of seasfoam through there on a hot engine an let it sit for 10 minutes. Cracking the car will be abnormally hard but the only other thing that it might be aside from what has been mentioned is a valve getting sticky. This seems to be a issue with mitsu. If you wait too long between oil changes I have seen this before on my car (non evo but still the same principle) Ill clean the TB with seafoam spray or generic carb cleaner and you may notice that the noise will gradually dissapate however may not go awy completely. You mentioned you running stage 2 cobb so with that in mind your running inherently more rich now. Old oil=massive carbon build up=sticky valves. By no means am I saying this is your problem just something to consider as I had the same issue when I first got my car.
Hmm this is interesting, may possibly be my issue, I went almost a year on the same oil and recently changed it about a month ago. It almost sounds like some sort of valve ticking, its definitely not the constant injector noise. Sorry for the noob question but whats the TB?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xVforVelocityx
Hmm this is interesting, may possibly be my issue, I went almost a year on the same oil and recently changed it about a month ago. It almost sounds like some sort of valve ticking, its definitely not the constant injector noise. Sorry for the noob question but whats the TB?

Do seasfoam and carbcleaner routine to clean throttle body (TB). Seafoam for intake manifold and use carb cleaner or the spray seafoam for butterfly valve. Or just use the seafoam spray and srpay the hell out of your butterfly valve and use about 1/4-1/2 a can of spray as some will collect and clean your TB. Warm you engin up first, shut it off and let cool slightly, use seafoam, car will be hard to start and you will see a MASSIVE ammount of smoke bellowing out of your exhaust (scared me the first time II did it..check out a youtube video oor something so youll get the idea). Thats just the carbon build up burning off your valves and exhaust manifold.

Sounds pretty clear thats the issue but I am not a mechanic just a enthusiast of cars and the mitsubishi brand lately. Not changing your oil for a years worrth of what I assume daily driving youre probably going to run into more issues down the road if you dont service your car properly. Oil change is a massive concern but you have just as equally more concerns with a evo or wrx (any high boost i4).Go get it serviced please! Iv seen these cars undergo 5K in engine fixes due to lack of upkeep.

Ill send the service bill to ya sometime soon haha.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out and CHANGE YOUR OIL