Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can you install piston / rods with engine in car?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you install piston / rods with engine in car?

I was wondering if you can install pistons and rods with the engine still in the car on the evo x. I'm gonna do cams and springs over winter and just thought that since I have to remove the head to do the springs why not go ahead and remove oil pan and do a piston / rod combo to. I have done this on other car makes but never mitsubishi just wondering if its possible.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Not really, You'd want to hone the block anyway to make sure the piston to wall clearance is exactly what you want anyway and that requires the block to be out of the car and disassembled.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You could do it with the oil-pan and the head off. But it's a lot easier with the engine on a stand.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In "theory" you can do it. BUT if your going to spend the money on all of the parts, why wouldn't you just do it right the first time so there is no question about the integrity of the build.

Like my old man always used to tell me, "If you have to ask which one is better, usually your trying to go cheap. Just do it right, da**it!"

Just my $.02
The following users liked this post:
EVOX2015 (May 29, 2019)
Old Nov 1, 2010, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Guru
Not really, You'd want to hone the block anyway to make sure the piston to wall clearance is exactly what you want anyway and that requires the block to be out of the car and disassembled.
This gets confsued so many times, it's not funny.

Honing does not require removing the motor, Boring does!

So the question is, does it need to be bored...I'm not sure we have a clear cut answer to that. I do think that you could get away with just honing IF you check all your clearances and the cylinders for any abnormalities...
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

For simple rods and pistons the motor does not need to be removed. Take off the head, and oil pan and bam, you're good to go. Now if you're going with over-sized pistons then I'm not sure. I don't know what is required when boring over a motor.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Mine were dropped in that way. It's usually only recommended on low-mileage motors. Give Buschur a ring and ask them about doing drop-ins.

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Honing does not require removing the motor, Boring does!
This is an opinion of yours that you like stating as a fact. My engine builder considers it too risky to hone a motor with the crank in place, due to the possibility of contamination.

Last edited by mlomker; Nov 1, 2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:44 AM

don't waste your time, bushur won't even talk to you unless you walk in there and throw 10k on his lap.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IndyEvo66
don't waste your time, bushur won't even talk to you unless you walk in there and throw 10k on his lap.
Not sure what your issue is but they talked to my mechanic when I did drop-ins. I did buy the internals from them.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mlomker
Not sure what your issue is but they talked to my mechanic when I did drop-ins. I did buy the internals from them.
Was this over sized or oem sized pistons?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bighec
Was this over sized or oem sized pistons?
OEM. Larger pistons would require boring--you have to pull the motor and send it to a machine shop for that.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by IndyEvo66
I call and am treated with the utmost respect. You must be a very angry individual to make a statement like that. Go eat a twinky and smile.

Don
Old Nov 1, 2010, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mlomker
Mine were dropped in that way. It's usually only recommended on low-mileage motors. Give Buschur a ring and ask them about doing drop-ins.

This is an opinion of yours that you like stating as a fact. My engine builder considers it too risky to hone a motor with the crank in place, due to the possibility of contamination.
You are right. I am not a professional engine builder. However, I can tell you that I've personally put dropins into 5 4g63 motors and all of them were honed while in the car. All 5 motors are still running strong after 40k miles...

Be smart, perform one cylinder at a time, turn the rod journal down and stuff a rag as far down as you can to prevent said contamination.

With all that being said, I have never done this on a 4B11....so
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:07 AM

My engine is less than 10k, I doubt I would even need to hone . But I have honed with engine in before and no issues. I was just wondering if there are any parts that are in the way on the evo x that would prevent this. Im doing it.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Roadrunr
I call and am treated with the utmost respect. You must be a very angry individual to make a statement like that. Go eat a twinky and smile.

Don
Not everyone is always treated the same, I've had both good and not so favorable experiences. For the most part it was good. I could see someone getting rubbed wrong.