Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch pedal won't go down

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch pedal won't go down

The other night I was driving along shifting from 4th to 5th when my clutch pedal sank to the floor. I coast to a stop, get out and pulled the clutch pedal back up. The clutch wouldn't engage after that so I had to have the car towed. The clutch pedal is rock hard and won't go down. I was able to start the car but that was only after pushing in that little button on the clutch assembly and turning the key at the same time. I have an Exedy twin with the mangus upgrade. The clutch master is the oem one straight from fred beans parts. Any thoughts as to what this could be? The clutch has about 8k on it.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch master cylinder failed again?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

Any fluid leak that you can see? Behind the pedal or on the back of the engine under tray?

First thing that came to mind was whether or not the CMC says NABCO Japan on it, but if you got it from FBP then that's probably a yes.

If no fluid the only thing I can think of was improper clutch install but you would've had a problem well before 8k on it
Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Check to see if your TOB broke or came unclipped from the pressure plate.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, a buddy of mine was saying it could be the throw out bearing. He also said it was a known issue with multi plate clutches on the 8's and 9's. The throw out bearing comes unclipped. STM makes a fork stop clip. So how would I check to see if it came out..and if that's the case is this something expensive to get fixed...
Old Aug 21, 2011, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
Any fluid leak that you can see? Behind the pedal or on the back of the engine under tray?
Just checked for fluid didn't see anything. I really hope that didn't fail, but just my luck if it did...fml
Old Aug 21, 2011, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Take a picture of your clutch fork sticking out of the bell housing and post it.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

There's also a small rubber plug that you can take out of the bottom of the tranny to get a glimpse of the pressure plate / TOB. If it did get unclipped, you can snap it back in with a long screwdriver.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 01:20 PM

My clutch won’t go down

Originally Posted by ImsoevoX
The other night I was driving along shifting from 4th to 5th when my clutch pedal sank to the floor. I coast to a stop, get out and pulled the clutch pedal back up. The clutch wouldn't engage after that so I had to have the car towed. The clutch pedal is rock hard and won't go down. I was able to start the car but that was only after pushing in that little button on the clutch assembly and turning the key at the same time. I have an Exedy twin with the mangus upgrade. The clutch master is the oem one straight from fred beans parts. Any thoughts as to what this could be? The clutch has about 8k on it.
my clutch is doing the same thing I got home and was going to reverse when my clutch stayed on the floor I pulled it back up and now it won’t go down and I can’t start my car I also saw there where dry spots by the master cylinder I don’t know if something is leaking any help?