Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Don't Use Royal Purple in X Rear Diff

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is why i always use regular conventional oil 10w30 in all my cars, change it regularly and never had any problems. synthetic and all this fancy oil is for suckers who like throwing money away.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Gyroscope
this is why i always use regular conventional oil 10w30 in all my cars, change it regularly and never had any problems. synthetic and all this fancy oil is for suckers who like throwing money away.
In the rear diffs of all your cars...?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gyroscope
Hahah, good luck with that man. Buy an evo and run conventional oil and let me know when your motor goes
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ►EvolutionX◄
Hahah, good luck with that man. Buy an evo and run conventional oil and let me know when your motor goes
Using a quality conventional with proper change intervals will do no harm to the engine. Synthetic oil isn't magical; it does the exact same job with the benefit of handling extreme temps a bit better with longer change intervals.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kracka
Using a quality conventional with proper change intervals will do no harm to the engine. Synthetic oil isn't magical; it does the exact same job with the benefit of handling extreme temps a bit better with longer change intervals.

This has been discussed on various posts and forums. The '09-present Ralliart and '12 Evolution only require conventional 5w30 (this comes directly from Mitsubishi JDM/USA, not the dealerships). They do recommend synthetic for extra protection but it is not required.

I agree that with normal driving (mixed with the occasional spirited jaunt) on a stock car with 3k-4k mile OCI, an API SN rated quality conventional oil will work just fine.

Last edited by wemay; Dec 8, 2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Standing at the edge of the gene pool with a flamethrower...
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
Wow. It seems like these threads always turn into Amsoil advertisements. For the record, I would never use that over-priced oil either.
Can you support that opinion with anything close to legitimate information as opposed to pure emotion?...For the record?

Having said that, most so called "synthetics" are blends these days because the government allows manufacturers to call blends "synthetic."

As well, most motor oils these days, including organic oils, are so well refined they perform very well in most applications.

But for my money, especially wanting to keep that turbo journal bearing well lubed, I prefer a true synthetic motor oil.

There are only two true synthetics that I am aware of: Amsoil which is an olafin based oil, and Redline which is an ester based oil.

True synthetics are man-made, uniform at the molecular level, and smaller than organic molecules which is why they can go where organic molecules cant, or have difficulty flowing to (like your turbo bearing).

Redline recommends the following for transfer cases and LSDs:
75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil Most popular Red Line gear oil, with thousands of applications for passenger cars, light trucks, and racing vehicles Contains additional friction modifiers for suitability with clutch-type limited slip differentials - for most LSDs, no additional friction modifiers are required
This product is not designed for use in most manual transmissions or transaxles in passenger vehicles, since the extreme slipperiness may cause synchronizer mesh issues that lead to shifting problems
Recommended for API GL-5, GL-6, MT-1, MIL-L-2105E, SAE J2360, and Chrysler spec MS-9763

Amsoil, for the record, has no recommendations for the Evo X Transfer case or LSD:

Engine Oil Grade 1......SM[1]
Maximum Performance SAE 5W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (ASLQT)
Performance Plus XL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLFQT)
Performance OE 5W30 Synthetic Motor Oil (OEFQT)
Above -22 F......5W-30
Manual Transmission,W5M6A (5-SPD)......GL-3

All TEMPS......75W-80 [2]
Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (75W-90) API GL-4 (MTGQT)
Automatic Transmission,W6DGA......GLS [3]

No AMSOIL Product Recommendation
Limited Slip Differential, Rear Torq Mechanism......GLS [4]
All TEMPS......
Limited Slip Differential, Rear AYC Dif. Mechanism......GLS [4]
All TEMPS......
No AMSOIL Product RecommendationTransfer Case,......GLS [4]
Fluids

Brake Fluid......HB

AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN)
Clutch Fluid......
Clutch Fluid......HB
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN)\
Power Steering Fluid......PS

Power Steering Fluid (PSFCN)
[1] Synthetic based oil.
[2] DiaQueen New Multi Gear Oil
[3] DIA QUEEN SSTF-1
[4] Mitsubishi Diamond Queen LSD Gear Oil

So its not like Amsoil is trying to beat you out of your hard earned coin (for the record). And they LIST Diamond Queen on their website plain as day, for the record.

Ive been using Diamond Queen for the past 60,000 miles, but in my engine I use Amsoil as I have for the past 10 years in every turbocharged 4 cylinder car Ive owned.

You can have Amsoil delivered to your door, and no, I am not a dealer-
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ugakirk
I use to think RP was great. I started using it in my 8, and it would eat about a quart a week. Did an oil flush and oil change and it never happened again.

Either way, I agree that more info is needed before we pass judgement. I'm sure they used the wrong oil.
Sounds more like a mechanical issue with your 8 burning oil. My 8 does not have this issue at all, Ive been using RP for 7 years and no problems.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wemay
Used RP in my Evo8 for most of its 178k miles and now in my Ralliart Sportback. Never ever an issue. Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90. Amsoil and Redline work fine too.
+1 this
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

People aren't using Diaqueen ATF in the Torque Transfer mechanism as specified in the manual? The stuff is $8/qt......
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Brest Phan
Can you support that opinion with anything close to legitimate information as opposed to pure emotion?...For the record?

Having said that, most so called "synthetics" are blends these days because the government allows manufacturers to call blends "synthetic."

As well, most motor oils these days, including organic oils, are so well refined they perform very well in most applications.

But for my money, especially wanting to keep that turbo journal bearing well lubed, I prefer a true synthetic motor oil.

There are only two true synthetics that I am aware of: Amsoil which is an olafin based oil, and Redline which is an ester based oil.

True synthetics are man-made, uniform at the molecular level, and smaller than organic molecules which is why they can go where organic molecules cant, or have difficulty flowing to (like your turbo bearing).

Redline recommends the following for transfer cases and LSDs:
75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil Most popular Red Line gear oil, with thousands of applications for passenger cars, light trucks, and racing vehicles Contains additional friction modifiers for suitability with clutch-type limited slip differentials - for most LSDs, no additional friction modifiers are required
This product is not designed for use in most manual transmissions or transaxles in passenger vehicles, since the extreme slipperiness may cause synchronizer mesh issues that lead to shifting problems
Recommended for API GL-5, GL-6, MT-1, MIL-L-2105E, SAE J2360, and Chrysler spec MS-9763

Amsoil, for the record, has no recommendations for the Evo X Transfer case or LSD:

Engine Oil Grade 1......SM[1]

Maximum Performance SAE 5W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (ASLQT)

Performance Plus XL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLFQT)

Performance OE 5W30 Synthetic Motor Oil (OEFQT)

Above -22 F......5W-30

Manual Transmission,W5M6A (5-SPD)......GL-3

All TEMPS......75W-80 [2]

Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (75W-90) API GL-4 (MTGQT)

Automatic Transmission,W6DGA......GLS [3]

Limited Slip Differential, Rear Torq Mechanism......GLS [4]

All TEMPS......

Limited Slip Differential, Rear AYC Dif. Mechanism......GLS [4]

All TEMPS......

No AMSOIL Product RecommendationTransfer Case,......GLS [4]

Fluids

Brake Fluid......HB

AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN)

Clutch Fluid......

Clutch Fluid......HB

AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN)\

Power Steering Fluid......PS

Power Steering Fluid (PSFCN)

[1] Synthetic based oil.

[2] DiaQueen New Multi Gear Oil

[3] DIA QUEEN SSTF-1

[4] Mitsubishi Diamond Queen LSD Gear Oil

So its not like Amsoil is trying to beat you out of your hard earned coin (for the record). And they LIST Diamond Queen on their website plain as day, for the record.

Ive been using Diamond Queen for the past 60,000 miles, but in my engine I use Amsoil as I have for the past 10 years in every turbocharged 4 cylinder car Ive owned.

You can have Amsoil delivered to your door, and no, I am not a dealer-
There are more than just two Group IV, V oils out there ('Full Synthetic'). Motul makes some, Royal Purple has a line and so on. Amsoil is absolutely a top shelf product but for the money, Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra (Group III) protects just as well (UOA on BITOG) and is locally sourced. Regardless, we are now in the relm of splitting hairs. Group III synthetics, or 'blends' if you will, are highly refined base stocks that in no way resemble their crude origins.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2639886

Last edited by wemay; Feb 11, 2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Standing at the edge of the gene pool with a flamethrower...
Originally Posted by wemay
There are more than just two Group IV, V oils out there ('Full Synthetic'). Motul makes some, Royal Purple has a line and so on. Amsoil is absolutely a top shelf product but for the money, Pennzoil Ultra (a Group III) protects just as well (UOA on BITOG) and is locally sourced. Regardless, we are now in the relm of splitting hairs. Group III synthetics, or 'blends' if you will, are highly refined base stocks that in no way resemble their crude origins.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2639886
Ive been reading that forum for years.

Its where I found out about "synthetic" blends to begin with.

That is where I found out Mobile1 switched from being a true synth to a blend, and why Mobile1 began to disappear from my WRX. I switched to Amsoil and that problem went away.

You can run grp III if you want. Ill stick with true "full synth" oil for my car.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by kracka
don't use royal purple anything, period.
x2
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by todd6027
x2
X10

If you guys are using royal purple, look up the specs and wear characteristics of this oil. Ran it in my car for 2k miles and it came out thinner than water. Would never recommend it to anyone.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:20 AM

That is where I found out Mobile1 switched from being a true synth to a blend, and why Mobile1 began to disappear from my WRX. I switched to Amsoil and that problem went away.

You can run grp III if you want. Ill stick with true "full synth" oil for my car.
To each their own. No one is wrong in the discussion of which synthetic works, PP, PU, Amsoil or M1, etc., They all do. Its a question of how much money you want to spend.

(Back to Gear Oil)
As for wear characteristics of RP? Yup, I checked. Has been in my diffs on and off for over 10 years with 0 issue. But again, to each their own. I have also used Valvoline High Performance, Pennzoil GearPlus (conventionals), Synpower, and Mobil1. All 75/90 or 80w90 gear oils and they all worked fine.
Unless you are towing/racing/attempting burnouts/launching, they all work for 15-30k miles.

Right now, using Pennzoil Gear Plus 80w90. If there is such a thing as 'favorite' gear oil, this is probably mine.

Also have used :
Valvoline 75w90 High Performance
Mobil1 75w90

Last edited by wemay; Feb 11, 2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:20 AM

...Also where I realized that uoa could be done and as such, that a great grp lll base stock synthetic like PP or Castrol Edge are fantastic oils. One step further being Valvoline Synpower which mixes grp lll with full synthetic grp lV base stocks.

Last edited by wemay; Jan 25, 2013 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Don't Use Royal Purple in X Rear Diff