Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbomart BOV Flutter/Surge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbomart BOV Flutter/Surge

Hey guys i just recently installed my turbosmart BOV and ive been having alot of flutter/surge, you cant hear it at high boost but its bad at very low boost when i slightly press the throttle. I looked everywhere and people are having the same problems and others say that they have zero problems. Im confused I tried setting it at soft and hard and in between but no use, im running the mods that are in my sig btw. Im also running recirculated not VTA, any ideas to whats causing the flutter??

Turbosmart BOV flutter Fix!!!
*Update* So i was in socal yesterday and turbosmart was able to open up their shop on a day that they are closed just to fix my BOV, great customer service!
They told me since i have an exhaust, test pipe and an intake i freed up the car more its breathing way better so in order for the BOV not to flutter you really got to mess with it. The solution however is the spring, the tech their said that changing the spring will fix the flutter right away and once he installed it, it was easily fixed! No more flutter and the BOV sounds great, it holds boost great

I like to give a shout out to Marty at Turbosmart for the great customer service

Last edited by sonic_evox; Feb 26, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How long have you been using this BOV? Have you taken it apart and cleaned/lubed it yet? I had the same problem when I ran the turbosmart. They usually get junked and need to be cleaned. I got tired of the problems and just put the OEM bov back on.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

i just bought it i called turbo smart and they are gonna call me back later
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

bump!
Well turbosmart never called back, i tried everything to make the flutter go away, i bought a new hose to see if maybe the hose was cracked, i lubed the BOV to see if that was the problem and i check all my hoses and piping to see that was the cause and no im still getting flutter
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

ive been running a turbosmart for about 1.5 years no issue. sounds exacty like that minus the surge. only fluttering i get is low boost/rpm. can you take a distant picture?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SpeedI2acerX
ive been running a turbosmart for about 1.5 years no issue. sounds exacty like that minus the surge. only fluttering i get is low boost/rpm. can you take a distant picture?
Thats not me in the btw, its just a vid i found on youtube, i dont get flutter as bad a the video but i get fluttering at low boost and low rpms like you, is that suppose to happen is it normal? i thought any type of flutter is bad

also when i get on it i hear the normal loud woosh but thier is also some flutter right before it
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

i assume its normal, so ive been told. if it worries you maybe you have to change your way of driving, keep the rpm/boost up.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SpeedI2acerX
i assume its normal, so ive been told. if it worries you maybe you have to change your way of driving, keep the rpm/boost up.
changing my way of driving is way to much for just a BOV, ima call turbosmart agian first thing in the morning
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Updated the first post guys, i fixed my flutter
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GgreyEVOIX
How long have you been using this BOV? Have you taken it apart and cleaned/lubed it yet? I had the same problem when I ran the turbosmart. They usually get junked and need to be cleaned. I got tired of the problems and just put the OEM bov back on.
#1 problem of it getting gunked is water tends to sit the on the releasing port causing it to seize from mother nature like it rust's a bit. I had the same problem a few times. So i got a custom bracket made which is like a mini roof/cover over the vavle where water never gets on it. Problem solved! Never gunked up or got seized up.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Also you have to set it perfectly not to flutter.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Look at my original post guys it's fixed thanks to Marty from turbosmart