Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

How is your TurboSmart bov adjusted?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is your TurboSmart bov adjusted?

Hey guys, hopeing to get some info out of some people that have used the TurboSmart DualPort recirc on the Evo X. I have had mine tightened as far as it would go thinking that I would hold boost better but IN-FACT my car had a worse time reaching peak boost and holding it. My car runs much better and boosts much smoother and even holds higher boost with it tightened only enough to touch the second black o-ring. Anyone else have any comments?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

I ran this BOV on my 2011 Ralliart. Since you have it all the way tight, idle your car while loosening the adjustable cap. Continue loosening it until it just barley starts leaking air, then tightening it about 1/2 turn. Run it at full boost. If it leaks or does not reach peak boost and hold, then give it another 1/2 turn. Do this until it is just right I did this on my ralliart and it ran great at 26 PSI for over 2 years!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:15 PM

I let my car idle while i unloosened the bov cap. I could not cause it to leak at all.. when you had yours adjusted did you show any o rings, how far above or below the o rings was it adjusted? Also, im running the ETS intake. Idk if that makes a difference or not
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Mine was adjusted so that the bottom of the cap was just above the black o-ring. Yes, you could see the o-ring, about 3/4 of it.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:06 AM

That seems to be the magic setting for mine as well! The car performs way better with it at that setting.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zebra4
Mine was adjusted so that the bottom of the cap was just above the black o-ring. Yes, you could see the o-ring, about 3/4 of it.
this with the stock spring.

i bought the softer spring and tightened it down some. same drivability to be honest.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:46 AM

I just bought the stiffer spring.. about to install it now. I wonder how it will affect how much it needs to be tightened down.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 08:23 AM

Sorry to rez the dead. I have an ETS Intake with the TS BOV w/ the Red (softer) spring installed. I loosened my cap just so that it barely covers the O ring. Tbh I never knew there was a second O ring. I never loosened it enough to see it. I am wondering if there is any advantage of tightening the cap all the way. For me, there was an excessive amount of flutter when I ran it tight, so I loosened it up until that O ring and it sounds much much better. However, I wonder if the great sound is misleading, and I am not boosting to my potential.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry to rez the dead. I have an ETS Intake with the TS BOV w/ the Red (softer) spring installed. I loosened my cap just so that it barely covers the O ring. Tbh I never knew there was a second O ring. I never loosened it enough to see it. I am wondering if there is any advantage of tightening the cap all the way. For me, there was an excessive amount of flutter when I ran it tight, so I loosened it up until that O ring and it sounds much much better. However, I wonder if the great sound is misleading, and I am not boosting to my potential.
Do you have a boost gauge? This will tell you if you are boosting properly... That or EvoScan. Tightening it all the way will cause drivability issuses. "Mine was adjusted so that the bottom of the cap was just above the black o-ring. Yes, you could see the o-ring, about 3/4 of it. " as i stated earlier, this is the "magic" setting with the softer spring. It seems to work best adjusted this way.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 06:15 AM

The best way to see if your car is boosting smoothly is to read your afr gauge when at full throttle. If youre tuned to be at 11.8 then you should be within .3 of that number during your pull. Also, when i had mine tightened too far i noticed my afrs would be all over the place. They would be at 10.8 then 12.1 then 11.5 then 10.7 then 12.3. They were everywhere. Evoscan is the best way to log your afr gauge accurately.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 06:20 AM

Just fyi, the reason you read your afr gauge for boost is because it is more efficient. For example, if you have a boost leak, or your bov cap is loosened to far you will notice a consistent afr when full throttle that is below 11.5, mine read 10.8 when loosened to far. Half turn tighter brought it to 11.3 and oneore half turn brought it to 11.6-11.8