Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Porting stock turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2013, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by egokiller
i had a ported turbo before i went with a map ef4 if your looking for almost stock spool get a ef 2.5 full porting and coating but stay away from the anti surge no need for it. This turbo will get you to 400 on 93 and 420 450 on e85 just you have to watch your torque. Like everyone is saying if you have the turbo off might as well do it right the first time. Im still on stock block and im on a ef4 but i no im going to build in the future. If it was my car and yur only looking for 400 deff 2.5 look in the dyno section Kracker has one.
Awesome info, thanks. Would you happen to have before/after dyno's of the ported stock turbo? And perhaps a dyno overlaying ported stock vs your ef4?

My tuner actually is delaying spool on the stock turbo to prevent unnecessary heat soak (stock IC) and honestly i like it a lot better than full boost at 2900 rpm like most tuned stockers. It seems more streetable and my power doesn't drop off past 6k. I'm hitting ~24 psi at like 3300. Max psi is 26 and tapers back down to 23 at 7k.

My main concern with choosing a different turbo is to maintain spool up characteristics mentioned above, but at the same time i would only consider a ball bearing turbo. My purpose behind porting the stock turbo is to minimize torque drop off past 6k rpms. Plus it seems cheaper than dishing out 1500 on a new turbo.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hispanicpanic
Awesome info, thanks. Would you happen to have before/after dyno's of the ported stock turbo? And perhaps a dyno overlaying ported stock vs your ef4?

My tuner actually is delaying spool on the stock turbo to prevent unnecessary heat soak (stock IC) and honestly i like it a lot better than full boost at 2900 rpm like most tuned stockers. It seems more streetable and my power doesn't drop off past 6k. I'm hitting ~24 psi at like 3300. Max psi is 26 and tapers back down to 23 at 7k.

My main concern with choosing a different turbo is to maintain spool up characteristics mentioned above, but at the same time i would only consider a ball bearing turbo. My purpose behind porting the stock turbo is to minimize torque drop off past 6k rpms. Plus it seems cheaper than dishing out 1500 on a new turbo.
unfortunately i dont' have the dyno graph but the stock turbo no matter what is going to run out of air in the top end it just does not flow good enough. If you want a delayed spool the ef3 is one hell of a turbo it has alittle lag but nothing crazy. Plus the turbo is good for 450 on pump and 500+ on e-85. Once you go BB its not 1500 anymore its 2K plus unless you buy used. I was in the same boat as you but i was like screw it i want a car that will snap my neck and i sent in my stock turbo to map to make it a ef4 and i love every second of it!. Once you get a turbo that flows more, the power just does not stop right now your pretty much delaying the power of the stock turbo and you will not hit 400+ on a turbo that the spool is being delayed. i have the ef4 and bc stage 2 cams and my spools is at 4k for the street its great cause im not in boost going light to light and when you hit boost the thing is no joke. If you wanna make big power a aftermarket turbo is the way to go honestly the turbo is out already might as well do it right the first time. Its your car i wanna sees the route you go so keep us updated!

Last edited by egokiller; Aug 4, 2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAP ef3 ftw. The lag is not all that bad for street use, plus it will keep the torque spike down if tuned properly and hold boost all the way to redline. That way you won't ventilate the stock block. Stage 2 cams, upgraded valvetrain, injectors, and fuel pump and you're in business. Again, TUNED PROPERLY!!!!