Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fluttering noise on mild/moderate acceleration

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah i definitely get what you mean by the bhp and the loses from the translation from bhp to whp. I hope you understand that i dont mean to bash you or hate on you because you bought an MR. I was just simply giving you a heads up on how to achieve your goal. Im glad that you got what was most practical for you and are enjoying it, after all thats what its all about. I was actually very close to buying an MR but i decided i needed that 3rd pedal instead. After all I am still young, I thought i would enjoy it as much as i can. Anyways, hopefully we can find out whats going on with the issue of your dv fluttering. Welcome and happy modding
Old Sep 20, 2013, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i definitely get what you mean by the bhp and the loses from the translation from bhp to whp. I hope you understand that i dont mean to bash you or hate on you because you bought an MR. I was just simply giving you a heads up on how to achieve your goal.
Yeah no worries man. We were talking about the same thing but on two different pages. I was speaking of BHP, you were talking about WHP. That's just where the difference in what we were saying came into play. Both cars are gunna make the same power, the GSR is just going to put down a little more to the wheels because it's a gated manual, which is just a perk of having a manual.

Anyways, here's 3 videos. As I said when I took these it was rainy, roads were wet, and the road I'm driving on has about 2 straight sections in 10 miles. Plus I've got the window down on a few of them so you hear a little wind sheer, and I'm trying to fool with this iPod and get it in a position where its going to get the best sound, and bleh. And as I said, filmed with an iPod touch 5th gen so it's not IMAX quality haha. I did the best I could to try and get decent enough video to hear this sound. I could hear it just fine in the car while recording, I could hear it during the recordings I picked, but whether or not you guys can make it out after the upload and the site doing whatever compression it does to my videos, I dunno.

Ok this one you can hear it in a few places, mainly at the very end that flutter is most pronounced.

View My Video

Ok this one for me when I play the original audio back you can hear it plain as day right around the middle mark of the video, and towards the end where I slow down on the little straight stretch and start to accelerate again. You have to kind of listen for it through that big AMS intake sucking air, but it's there.

View My Video

Ok this one is rather short, and this one is with the windows up, not down. Again you can hear the typical suction noise of just the performance intake sucking air, plus you can hear the flutter, and at the end I floored it just to show you how as soon as you go WOT all that crap stops and the engine just roars.

View My Video

Hopefully someone has a keen enough ear. If not I'll have to redo it today. I believe its suppose to be a nicer day out and I can actually do it right instead of having to fool around in the rain or anything else.

Last edited by Stonewall; Sep 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response.

I listened to the clips, and it sounds pretty much like mine did when I was using the Cobb AP with just my ETS intake. No loss of power? The car doesn't seem to be stuttering at all.

If this is indeed the same issue I was having, it is just normal noise amplified by the new intake. I still have the same noise, though mine is much less noticeable now that I have gotten my car tuned professionally.

If getting your car to a reputable tuner isn't an option, I would honestly say either go back to the stock airbox if you don't like the noise, or get used to it

I don't think its harmful, but of course, I bet there are plenty of people on here who would probably say it is like they did with me haha.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stonewall
I tend to ramble,
Understatement of the year award.

The sound you're hearing is normal, the car always made it you just couldn't hear it with the airbox installed.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:36 AM

Well yesterday I got my Cobb data Logs over to AMS and they're going to have Chris look at them, so if anything is wrong hopefully he'll be able to pick it out and update my ECU Tune.

The quality of the videos I put up isn't as great as I was hoping. When I listen to it on my computer directed copied over from my iPod 5 you can hear that noise just like you're right there in the driver seat, but whatever compression codec Tinypic used when I uploaded my vids really took some of the quality away. And I don't have a YouTube account to upload them to YouTube with. I mean I could make one very easy, but I just watch videos on YouTube and never reply to anything, because all it ever turns into is a flame war anytime you just comment on something, so I never did make an account.

Anyways, it does make sense that the airbox muffles/conceals certain sounds and with it gone you're going to hear things that would otherwise make you think your car isn't running right, or one of your bungs isn't sealed correctly, or your intake isn't snugged up tight against the manifold and it's bleeding out air, etc. I know when I first put it on and tightened up my clamps when I reached around and felt around back in there against the manifold to check to see if everything was good, and when I ran my hand around the back side, the rubber was bulged out on that back side and flush everywhere else. So I had to undo everything and loosen my clamps back up and make sure that the stupid thing was flush all around.

I got to thinking when I started hearing this noise that either something wasn't flush again, something was loose, vacuum line came off, I forgot to plug something back in, etc. I just started to get concerned when I have a brand new MR and I start getting a few MIL lights coming up for a split second then going away, and my car wanting to stall out when I go to take off at a red-light or stop sign, stuff like that, it just had me thinking maybe something was wrong. And I wanted to fix it ASAP before I did some bad damage to the car before it's even broke in. But Andrew told me sometimes that's the Cobb unit doing the MIL light thing, and I know when I go in to check the car for error codes nothing pops up, so I'm guessing he's right. Because even though the MIL light has come on for a few split seconds a few times the car's ECU never logged it.

And I don't know if anyone else has done it, but I think I'm one of the special few who can say he's actually stalled out an automatic. >_>
Old Sep 25, 2013, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Stonewall
And I don't know if anyone else has done it, but I think I'm one of the special few who can say he's actually stalled out an automatic. >_>
Hah. Gotta love Evos and their temperments. I would have to agree with Andrew in thinking the AP could be causing issues. As much as I love my AP, Cobb can be a little bit wonky when it come to Evos.

Hope you get it all sorted out...keep us updated!
Old Sep 25, 2013, 08:47 PM

I'll post any updates I get from AMS and if they update my tune, and how the car starts to run the more I break it in.

And yeah, I was looking for a chip forever, but it's so hard to find anything for an Evo because as soon as you go searching for something and put anything related to Evo in the title of your Google search you'll get page after page of useless junk and never find what you're looking for. You almost have to know the name of the vendor, like AMS, or Holley, etc., just to do a direct search and then either search their webpage or call them to find what you're looking for.

So when I found the Cobb through AMS I just thought what the heck and went with that, but after looking into them and their Facebook fan page and everything it seems like they sort of favor the Subaru crowd and leave us Mitsu guys hanging, especially when it comes to firmware updates and the sort. But that's just my first impression upon reading their page and their website. And as you said, the Cobb can be a bit tempermental when used with the Evo. I noticed that first thing. I mean I could feel the power gain instantly, and things like the rev limiter being removed and, although I haven't tested this, I'm guessing it also disabled any sort of electronically controlled speed limit, if the USDM Evos even have an electronically controlled governor; but I could also tell the Evo was sort of just "putting up with" the Cobb unit, and the two weren't really getting along. It's sort of like two strange dogs meeting, they're cool with each other, then in the blink of they start fighting, then afterwards they're cool again. That's pretty much how the Cobb works with my MR.

Last edited by Stonewall; Sep 25, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:40 PM

Just a quick update.

AMS had me do some 3rd gear pulls from 2k to redline, and a few in 4th. Got those logged and sent in, but the logs weren't really long enough to get a big enough picture of what the car is doing, and they asked me to log some some time in the car when I've just got it out cruising, but to try and get some varied throttle in there.

Finally got that done today, and got 3 or 4 logs that are about 10 miles each (15-20 minutes of running) and just sent those out earlier this evening. Hoping to hear back from them before the end of the week to see just how AMS's ECU flash is working with my car. On one hand I'm hoping everything is good, but then again on the other I'm hoping they send me back an updated MAP to flash my car with so I can get even more out of the car. =D

So now it's just waiting for AMS to have their guy look over the logs and see if my car is running rich/lean, having any issues with detonation, pre-ignition, things of that nature. I'll keep everyone updated as soon as I hear anything back.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

How's that wait going? I remember when AMS cared about evos.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 05:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I have read, and the sounds you are describing, it sounds to me like mivec exhaust timing. Normally tuned exhaust timing is greater at low load and low rpm to help in creating back pressure on the turbo, thus making boost faster(less turbo lag). What you are experiencing is too much exhaust timing at low Rpm and load. The fluttering is when the echaust valve opens and doesnt close when it should because it is creating more pressure than it the valve springs can handle, thus a flutter. When at idle, car makes no boost, at wot and engine load picks up, exhaust timing is removed and exhaust releases the pressure. Cobb tunes have been designed for basic mods, and a slight advancement on the standard tune that can work on every evo. It is definitely not the way to go and tune an evo. If you flash the car back, you would probably find the noise goes away. Go and see a proper tuner that can custom tune your car to its potential.