Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

SST Clutch chatter knocking noise

Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Recieved 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SST Clutch chatter knocking noise

not my vid, but this is the exact noise

I just noticed this noise after swapping in a new engine. I'm still using the same sst trans i had before, but this noise is pretty loud. The difference i'm finding from other posts on forums is that this noise exists under light to moderate throttle in lower RPM's, where people say its supposed to disappear completely under throttle. I don't notice it at heavy throttle or higher RPM's. Noise is really loud and can easily hear it in the cabin.

The only changes i made to my setup with the new motor is an SSP lightweight flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, and BOOMBA front and rear motor mounts. I also increased my idle to 950 rpm.

Things i'm thinking:
Too much trans fluid?
Too little trans fluid?

I put in 2 full jugs of diaqueen /w a new filter. I run an ssp front mount cooler and i emptied both trans coolers after i pulled the engine out of the car, so i figured 8L would be necessary.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 06:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most sst transmsisions I have heard make the same noise, though yours does seam louder. How does the car drive and shift? I would suspect the motor mounts or lightweight flywheel amplifying the noise.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

drives and shifts normal. No problems. Just noise is very disconcerning. At first i thought my engine was knocking hardcore at idle
Old Jan 12, 2019, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by hispanicpanic View Post
not my vid, but this is the exact noise

Evo X MR loud engine knocking sound - YouTube

I just noticed this noise after swapping in a new engine. I'm still using the same sst trans i had before, but this noise is pretty loud. The difference i'm finding from other posts on forums is that this noise exists under light to moderate throttle in lower RPM's, where people say its supposed to disappear completely under throttle. I don't notice it at heavy throttle or higher RPM's. Noise is really loud and can easily hear it in the cabin.

The only changes i made to my setup with the new motor is an SSP lightweight flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, and BOOMBA front and rear motor mounts. I also increased my idle to 950 rpm.

Things i'm thinking:
Too much trans fluid?
Too little trans fluid?

I put in 2 full jugs of diaqueen /w a new filter. I run an ssp front mount cooler and i emptied both trans coolers after i pulled the engine out of the car, so i figured 8L would be necessary.
Hi, have u solve the noise? Mine got the noise too, i thought it was the bearing crankshaft/rods. Already replace the bearings, but no luck.

Thank u
Old Jan 13, 2019, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eisenmann View Post
Hi, have u solve the noise? Mine got the noise too, i thought it was the bearing crankshaft/rods. Already replace the bearings, but no luck.

Thank u

Still there. No problems. I've hit the track numerous times with the chatter. From what i understand, its the clutches chattering inside the basket when they're disengaged.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by hispanicpanic View Post
Still there. No problems. I've hit the track numerous times with the chatter. From what i understand, its the clutches chattering inside the basket when they're disengaged.
Thank u for the reply. That is what i heard from my friend, its the clutchws working. But my friend's evo x sst doesnt sound like that.. Please check the video

Thank u

Last edited by Eisenmann; Jan 15, 2019 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Add youtube link
Old Feb 20, 2019, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Recieved 92 Likes on 80 Posts
it is the twin mass torque damper inside the tranny... it is a common fault.. you can drive like that..
Old Mar 15, 2019, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by kikiturbo View Post
it is the twin mass torque damper inside the tranny... it is a common fault.. you can drive like that..
This is the twin mass torque damper right? How to know this stuff is good or bad? By shaking it? Thanks