Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Big nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big nightmare

Hey just have simple bolt ons and a tune... took it out for a nice drive today cause its been napping for the winter but today was nice out.... mind u ive been told the stock block can hold 430hp.... im around 330 336... drove mint for a few got into boost a blew the bottom end.... 6k on the car... WTF SO PISSED.... any ideas? had the setup for a few months before snow fell...
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
what mods do you have? And did you have it tuned?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 02:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like a definite tune issue / shouldn't matter what the temperature is outside (unless it's off the shelf garbage tune). Sometimes the tune does not have parameters to account for variant temperature change, so that could have been the cause; if that was the case I would be loosing my mind on whoever supplied the tune your using.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 06:42 AM

yes it was tuned.... I have a full ets exhaust system including downpipe, aem cold intake, cobb xle bov, ets front mount kit, grimspeed boost solenoid, c65 fuel pump, upgraded wastegate actuator, and a tune that was an off the shelf and then fine tuned.... was great for a while.... then this... all of these should not have made the car do this...
Old Mar 1, 2015, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My guess: cold air + WOT at too low an RPM
Old Mar 1, 2015, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You say you blew the bottom end? How did you make that determination? Rod knock? Rod out side the block? What were you doing when it went? Some guys get lucky and can pull 400+ in torque without an issue--then there is this. Boosting when your oil temp isn't warm will do it everytime as well.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:11 AM

I had the car fully warmed up.... I have chunks of metal in my trunk I picked up from engine bay... seems to be a rod snapped.. oil everywhere...
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:15 AM

basically like I said.... let car fully warm up.. drove it out the driveway found a side road near the house was in third gear.... boosted and shifted into 4th... boosted again and bang.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It doesn't matter if the engine was warmed up or not - in fact, it makes it more likely if it is warmed up - if you go to WOT (especially in fourth or fifth) at too low an RPM (especially when the ambient temp is very low), you can end up picking up pieces of your engine from the street.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah the most dangerous time is that bit of time when the engine is no longer cold-enough for the ECU to limit boost, yet it's still not fully up to temp either.

In cold weather I prefer to drop my boost a tad to account for the below freezing air. Instead of going off the engine temp in cold weather I just wait until I myself am no longer cold inside the car. If the inside of the car hasn't warmed up yet then don't go WOT. That usually means at least 4-5 miles which would take you farther from your house. I'd never boost in 5th gear unless I was redlining 4th after modding. Too much strain on the engine.

Sorry to hear man and I wish you the best of luck. I'd just build it up now while the engine has to come out anyways. Post up a build thread on your progress.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 04:10 PM

I deff wasn't at WOT maybe half throttle or a tad more.... deff not to the floor... idk I believe the car should've been able to handle it.. idk if maybe motor was defective from factory and had weak point and finally gave way.... idk just pissed
Old Mar 1, 2015, 04:11 PM

during shifts wasn't at low rpms... mid to high range after getting into 4th I let of cause a turn was coming and that's when it happened....
Old Mar 1, 2015, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

The oil can take quite a bit longer to come up to temp vs. the coolant. I don't drive until the coolant is up to temp. Then another 10-15min of easy driving to let the oil temp come up (and allow the trans oil to warm up as well). Not that I'm saying this is what caused it.. it should have been warmed up enough to survive what you did regardless. Wonder if it was low on oil? had you checked before driving it?

Not a lot of info to go on, but it sounds like a defect more than anything else. The tune would have to be off pretty drastically IMO for that kind of carnage.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
It doesn't matter if the engine was warmed up or not - in fact, it makes it more likely if it is warmed up - if you go to WOT (especially in fourth or fifth) at too low an RPM (especially when the ambient temp is very low), you can end up picking up pieces of your engine from the street.

what He said above. i already know the answer, but im assuming your car was tuned in 3rd gear correct? ok...assuming it was :

1. your car will make more power in 4th gear as opposed to 3rd
2. cold air = more power
3. your tune/equipment is obviously is messing with the boost control of the car, normally they are made to adjust boost to hit a certain power figure, changing that or shooting for a specific boost # can have these consequences
4. the key here is you said you changed to 4th gear and rolled onto the throttle...that can cause tq numbers to spike, rolling on it doesnt matter...to an extent almost worse. had you agressively changed gears your rpms would be higher, not causing a sudden boost "hit" like it will from low rpms.

either way sorry about the loss, try to get all that stuff off the car and try to see if they will warranty it.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 04:08 AM

I hear what ur saying about the car being tuned in 3rd... but im not sure... I know it was a cobb of the shelf map and then fine tuned by the tuner... I should order an oil temp gauge also then along with my boost and a/f ratio.... that's what my wife said was to put all parts back to stock and have it towed into dealer.... idk if they can see what the computer was doing before it went boom.... I hope not.... ive already searched for forged parts... idk either way its getting fixed for spring and summer and obviously bigger and better... just a big mess right now... stressing crazy over it..

Quick Reply: Big nightmare