Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Setup reccomendations?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Setup reccomendations?

Looking for a reccomendation on a turbo setup.

Car is a 2010 /w SST. As far as use, I track my car and autocross it heavily. What i'd like to do is increase the power output, but i don't want to have to crack open the SST for modifications, so i'd like to essentially see what i need to do to safely take the transmission to the limit, yet be able to do so on track reliably.

So far, my thoughts on this include the following
MHI- 18k turbo
Moore Automotive 3.5inch intake
Full race exhaust manifold
ID 1000cc injectors (93 pump only)
Walboro 255
synapse DV
ETS 3 inch intercooler.
AMS TMP cams (Maybe. Mainly to try and prevent TQ dropoff at redline)

Car will be tuned at Kozmic on their mustang dyno. I'm not sure what he normally reccomends as a safe limit for stock clutches, but i immagine its somewhere between 310 and 340 tq. My goal is to hit this tq number, whatever it is, and try to hold it flat as long as possible.

Your thoughts?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
That seems like a good list of mods for your goals, e85 not available?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 05:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you considered a gtx3071? A trans cooler will definitely help if you plan to autox.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

SSP front mount trans cooler already in place. Auto-x is not my focus. I only auto-x to test and tweak my track setups. Tracktime is why i live

I'm already tuned to 300 whp with basic boltons on a stock IC and turbo.

I sourced a used full race mani + MHI for 2200. If i got a GTX, i'd probably be spending a bit more including all the extra lines and bull**** i'd probably need. I'm sure a GTX would perform better for the power level, but i'm not convinced on the idea mainly because of cost and additional things needed to make it work.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The FullRace manifold is only really going to produce gains for you if you go e85 and bigger injectors. 1000cc and pump gas on a stock block, even with the best stock frame turbo we can get (the wonderous MHI ), the manifold will actually "hurt" the feel of the car - you will loose spool up time. There might be minimal gains up top but I've never seen a before/after FR Mani dyno sheet that shows where the justification for a $1200 retail piece comes from. E85 and bigger injectors and you have an entirely new story.

Just my two cents...

Also, I don't see an exhaust in your list. You will need a good o2/downpipe, full 3" turbo-back setup.

Don't worry about drop off if you go with the MHI. Look up any thread where a dyno sheet is posted (mine for example haha) and you will see the thing never runs out of breath (unless you want > 8k rpm redline) with the right supporting boltons.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by NeedBoost!
The FullRace manifold is only really going to produce gains for you if you go e85 and bigger injectors. 1000cc and pump gas on a stock block, even with the best stock frame turbo we can get (the wonderous MHI ), the manifold will actually "hurt" the feel of the car - you will loose spool up time. There might be minimal gains up top but I've never seen a before/after FR Mani dyno sheet that shows where the justification for a $1200 retail piece comes from. E85 and bigger injectors and you have an entirely new story.

Just my two cents...

Also, I don't see an exhaust in your list. You will need a good o2/downpipe, full 3" turbo-back setup.

Don't worry about drop off if you go with the MHI. Look up any thread where a dyno sheet is posted (mine for example haha) and you will see the thing never runs out of breath (unless you want > 8k rpm redline) with the right supporting boltons.

FR mainfold is one of the few that doesnt show loss in spool with some really nice gains up top compared to other manufactures mainfold which sometime do loose spool.

I love my FR manifold.

Last edited by doom26464; Mar 25, 2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Ok so, forgot exhaust. I already have a full titanium exhaust from downpipe to muffler.

I don't want to go e85 because 1) there's no e85 on track, and 2) i'll already be maxing out my mid range tq. There's no need for e85 unless i want to control tq drop off a little more up top. If there was e85 on track, honestly, i'd be on e85 already.

The reason why i want Full Race is because they're the only company to offer a lifetime warranty on their manifolds. Considering how often i race and the propensity for EVo X manifolds to crack, This little bit of insurance is worth EVERY penny.

I spoke to Kozmic and they reccomend the FP green over the MHI. Not sure why. I thought you couldn't buy fp turbos anymore?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by hispanicpanic

I spoke to Kozmic and they reccomend the FP green over the MHI. Not sure why. I thought you couldn't buy fp turbos anymore?
You will have to send in one to be modified.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fiji_boss
You will have to send in one to be modified.
send in a perfectly good stock turbo?! then i hand over damn near 2k? Sounds like a rip.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

send in a perfectly good stock turbo?! then i hand over damn near 2k? Sounds like a rip.
couldn't agree more. by all the other opitons out there, the price for the fp upgrade is so over rip.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by doom26464
FR mainfold is one of the few that doesnt show loss in spool with some really nice gains up top compared to other manufactures mainfold which sometime do loose spool.

I love my FR manifold.
The guys at FR even tell you that you will lose at least 200-300 rpm in spool up. Most people have seen 30-40hp increase up top which is why there are a lot of happy customers - forgiving the slight lag increase for the pretty dramatic increase up top. I've experienced a few hundred rpm increase in lag just based on different turbos and can say that it makes a world of difference to me. But that's me, not everyone cares about the same stuff i do.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alsong2002
couldn't agree more. by all the other opitons out there, the price for the fp upgrade is so over rip.
The MHI is co-designed by FP. I don't know what more us stock-frame turbo guys could ask for really.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would absolutely get the 18k over a green.. Did your tuner explain why he thinks you should go the green route instead??