Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

SST Issues - Jerky while cruising

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SST Issues - Jerky while cruising

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2012 Evo X MR. I recently had the Mechatronic unit fail, and was replaced by the dealership a couple months ago under warranty.

I’ve since been experiencing some strange jerking and shudder from the transmission. In all three modes (but more severe in Sport/Super Sport mode), usually between 2k and 3k RPM while maintaining speed, the transmission (I assume) will jerk or shudder momentarily. It is sometimes minimal, with only a slight jolt being felt in the cabin, other times being an extremely violent jolt equivalent to slamming the brakes momentarily, with a noticeable 'clunk' sound coming from under the hood. It doesn't happen when shifting however - this is while cruising and maintaining speed and lightly feathering the throttle, gears engaged.

Even last night, braking heavily from 80km/h in 3rd, Sport Manual, this jolt was experienced half way through a two or three second sustained brake.

I've since brought it back to the dealership and they swapped out the clutchpacks, done multiple teach ins etc, however this hasn't solved the issue.

I've demonstrated this to the technician (it was only a subtle occurrence, and not a violent one as has happened before), but as the car doesn't register any trouble codes, the techs don't really know whats up with it. They've examined the trans and mechanically it's perfect. Pressures and everything is spot on. The symptoms can't be regularly reproduced (happens when trans is warm and cold), and otherwise the car is perfect.

The only other thing performed to the car when the Mechatronic was swapped was the various diff/AYC fluids flushed. The car never exhibited this behaviour before the mechatronic died.

Car has exhaust and tune.

I've searched the forums, but haven't found anything similar. Has anyone experienced something like this?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Sounds like an electrical, programming, or electrical component issue. Usually those symptoms in an auto trans occur when the trans decides to shift, then in the middle of shift decides not to shift and goes back to the gear it was in. Resulting in a shutter or jolt..
Old Jul 18, 2016, 09:33 AM
AiZ

Originally Posted by Richy2703

I've searched the forums, but haven't found anything similar. Has anyone experienced something like this?
Holy crap. This is exactly the same issue I'm having, down to a T.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEPT...ature=youtu.be

Video of it up there. Car's been in and out of the dealership 5 times so far - right now they're suspecting the battery needs to be replaced and could be causing software malfunction.

OP, did you ever figure out the problem? My car also went in for a new valve body, and it has a new version of the ECU that's not listed anywhere. I'm starting to think it's either the ECU or electrical, as letsgetthisdone said above.

Last edited by AiZ; Jul 19, 2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 07:50 PM

Yep - Identical to me. Checked out your video - same sound and jolt and everything.

No definitive cause, but most likely transmission software.

The new set of clutch-packs didn't resolve the issue. So they thought I might've gotten a dud mechatronic in the original replacement - so they swapped that out again - no difference. Ended up going for a drive with a tech while he had the MUT3 tool plugged in and logging all telemetry. Got it to exhibit the behaviour a few times while he was logging.

They confirmed the trans is engaging both clutches at the same time for a split second, then backing out. Absolutely no idea why, but it looks like a software issue on the trans. They've never seen anything like this before.

I eventually got approved for a full SST replacement, and its now working beautifully. One thing to note is that the dealership here in Aus only had 2013 (i think, maybe 2012) trans software. They said its the latest software provided to them by Mitsubishi Australia. When they went to transfer across the learned values etc to my new SST box, they noticed the software was dated 2015, so they didn't overwrite anything with their 2012/2013 software revisions. Looks like this might be your ROM version that isn't around anywhere?

It's not your battery, they're just guessing at this stage - I strongly suggest you get a tech to get the MUT3 to log all telemetry, and get it to exhibit the issue a few times. That'll show them that clutches are misbehaving, and get you on your way to a brand new box. Let them know its identical to my issue (White 2012 MR, South Australia, issue originally lodged 11 Feb 2016, resolved about a month ago) so they can compare and review.

Looks like this is becoming apparent with new mechatronics? Maybe a new issue due to mechatronic revisions?

Overall this issue took a solid 4 months to finally resolve. Was on the phone with them each week hounding them for updates. Keep on them so they know you won't go away until its resolved. Car had 38,000 kms when it died, drove another 12,000 with the above issue before a new SST was installed. Done about 3000 on the new box, going to head in for another clutch teach in next week.

Does anyone know if the newer mechatronics are still prone to breaking? Love this transmission when it works, and I've seen reports of SST's with over 150,000 miles, but I'm still concerned that it's gonna die again in the future.

Best of luck mate!
Old Mar 2, 2020, 01:26 AM

Bringing this one back

Seems I have the same issue reported. The sound is exactly the same and occurs under light throttle and crusing.

In my case the SST operates perfectly. However randomly when warm (sometimes after 30mins of driving) I will experience a slight jerky mis shift. At this point the clutch disengage and rengage jolt behavior occurs.

I am noticing that the revs drop briefly during this so seems to me that the clutch is disengaging then quickly rengaging (savagely)

Has anyone actually figured out what causes this?

Oil has been replaced with genuine and a teach in attempted (no codes thrown).

It's driving me nuts as it's so random when it occurs but once it does it doesn't go away until the car is turned off and left for a short while.

Seems to suggest it's not a physical issue with the transmission. Unless dodgy solenoid? However it's occuring in all gears from what I can tell.

Mitsubishi are planning to update the TCU to the 15 version. However this is being done outside of warranty... So *puts it all on black*
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:11 AM
AiZ

Originally Posted by zedx
Bringing this one back

Seems I have the same issue reported. The sound is exactly the same and occurs under light throttle and crusing.

In my case the SST operates perfectly. However randomly when warm (sometimes after 30mins of driving) I will experience a slight jerky mis shift. At this point the clutch disengage and rengage jolt behavior occurs.

I am noticing that the revs drop briefly during this so seems to me that the clutch is disengaging then quickly rengaging (savagely)

Has anyone actually figured out what causes this?

Oil has been replaced with genuine and a teach in attempted (no codes thrown).

It's driving me nuts as it's so random when it occurs but once it does it doesn't go away until the car is turned off and left for a short while.

Seems to suggest it's not a physical issue with the transmission. Unless dodgy solenoid? However it's occuring in all gears from what I can tell.

Mitsubishi are planning to update the TCU to the 15 version. However this is being done outside of warranty... So *puts it all on black*
Sorry man, I don't really have much that I can share. Mitsubishi eventually (after fighting them for 6 months) replaced the whole SST unit and the transmission hasn't had any issues ever since - a bit over three years and 24k miles now.

In my case I was only seeing that behavior in the odd gears and if I recall correctly, only when the car was being driven in manual mode. But like you, the car had to warm up a bit before it would happen. Eventually the car started throwing Transmission Service Required codes, but back then I didn't have the know-how to pull those codes so I have no idea what they were.

Wish I had more info to share. You could maybe reach out to Kozmic in the US or MRT Performance there in AUS, I hear they're very knowledgeable on the SSTs and might be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!