Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo X MR leak

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2016, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo X MR leak

So recently after being out of town for 2 weeks, I left my wife with my evo to use since our other car would be in the shop. As I came back home she greater me with. "Oh hun there is an oil leak under the car". You can Imagen my face when I heard it, lol. How ever I took a look at it and I found a Crack about 1 inch in length (more or less) under the ear. It's not on the transfer case side. No idea what to call that. Any idea how much would it cost to repair? Or weld back togethe, or would it just be better go to get that ssp upgrade I've heard much about? F.I.Y. I live in the Houston area.

Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:00 AM

Bump
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
clean it up really well, and put some jb weld on it and see if that fixes it.
The following users liked this post:
ALEX9X (Oct 4, 2016)
Old Oct 3, 2016, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
clean it up really well, and put some jb weld on it and see if that fixes it.
i thought jb weld wasn't that good for this type of aluminum block.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 04:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Transmission case is likely ruined. Ask your wife what she ran over. That's going to be expensive.
The following users liked this post:
ALEX9X (Oct 4, 2016)
Old Oct 4, 2016, 07:35 AM

Well ****,I asked her and apparently there was a rock she didn't see on the road and pretty much run it over. the hole bottom plastic shielding was torn from the drivers side.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 08:40 AM
EvoM Guru

I would try to claim it on your insurance. That is not going to be a cheap repair bill. Someone in Vegas was able to do it. Just need to make sure it is is very clear you weren't able to avoid the rock due to cars around you or whatever. The person that did in Vegas, the insurance paid for a brand new tans from Mitsu, with install. Its was like $15k. You could take that money, send the trans (or the whole car) to Kozmic, have them do whatever they can, and it will likely be way cheaper, even if you have to buy a used core and get it built. You'll put some money in your pocket.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 08:52 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Damn......
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I would try to claim it on your insurance. That is not going to be a cheap repair bill. Someone in Vegas was able to do it. Just need to make sure it is is very clear you weren't able to avoid the rock due to cars around you or whatever. The person that did in Vegas, the insurance paid for a brand new tans from Mitsu, with install. Its was like $15k. You could take that money, send the trans (or the whole car) to Kozmic, have them do whatever they can, and it will likely be way cheaper, even if you have to buy a used core and get it built. You'll put some money in your pocket.
Sounds a bit risky, but at this point that sounds like the best option. But I'm always open to suggestions

Last edited by ALEX9X; Oct 4, 2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Well if the crack is just causing the trans to leak and if your insurance shuts you down, I would again try the jb weld. I mean its not the ideal fix but it may work, I mean this crack isn't on the engine block itself.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Well if the crack is just causing the trans to leak and if your insurance shuts you down, I would again try the jb weld. I mean its not the ideal fix but it may work, I mean this crack isn't on the engine block itself.

It's just on the bottom of the trans casing, if it was the engine block I would be a divorce man by nonow since it's a 2.2.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are in Houston, try go see Kozmic Motorsports.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ALEX9X
It's just on the bottom of the trans casing, if it was the engine block I would be a divorce man by nonow since it's a 2.2.
Lol
Old Oct 4, 2016, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
take it to kozmic and see what they say, its better to have them give you the full detail and damage report then start calling the insurance and see.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 02:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ALEX9X
Sounds a bit risky, but at this point that sounds like the best option. But I'm always open to suggestions
It's not risky, you're not doing anything illegal. You just have to make it clear that the rock wasn't ran over on purpose (because it really wasn't). It's what insurance is for. And in Nevada (and I'm pretty sure most other states) You can take the check from the insurance and do whatever you want with it. You can buy the parts as they are on the estimate, or you can source the needed parts another way.

Example: Like a month after I got my 8, someone broke the wing and messed up the decklid. Bod shop estimate was $2k for repairs. Insurance cut me a check for the $2k estimate, I bought an CF Do-luck style trunk lid for like $800 and pocketed the rest.

In you're case, you'll have a mItsu service center estimate a new trans and install about $15k, then take the car to Kozmic and fix for likely a good bit less, and you'll have a built trans instead of a new stocker.

Quick Reply: Evo X MR leak