Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Recall Gripe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recall Gripe

My CMC failed last week so I called Mitsubishi to see if mine had been replaced under the safety recall, since Im not the first owner. I was told it had been completed in 2013.

When I tear into the car, I see that Im still on the plastic OEM master cylinder. Would it be worth my time to send my gripes to Mitsubishi? If not, no biggie, mostly just wanted to b*tch haha
Old Apr 25, 2017, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Nah. Save yourself the time (because you're gonna need a bunch of it for what I'm about to suggest) and get the Magnus Evo 8/9 CMC upgrade, using the OEM Mitsubishi master. And never look back.

Mine was replaced under recall, and yes the replacement is indeed a plastic one as well. Looks like a childs toy compared to the metal version found in all older Evos. My OEM replacement didn't explode, but even on the stock clutch was leaking brake fluid slightly, past the seals and down the firewall inside the car. I upgraded to the Magnus CMC since their shop is 20 minutes from where I work, replaced the slave with OEM as well, and everything is new and feels amazing.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by six40
Nah. Save yourself the time (because you're gonna need a bunch of it for what I'm about to suggest) and get the Magnus Evo 8/9 CMC upgrade, using the OEM Mitsubishi master. And never look back.

Mine was replaced under recall, and yes the replacement is indeed a plastic one as well. Looks like a childs toy compared to the metal version found in all older Evos. My OEM replacement didn't explode, but even on the stock clutch was leaking brake fluid slightly, past the seals and down the firewall inside the car. I upgraded to the Magnus CMC since their shop is 20 minutes from where I work, replaced the slave with OEM as well, and everything is new and feels amazing.
Oh I thought the replacement was metal! Either way, that's exactly what I did over the weekend, Im loving the new one.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EastonGSR
Oh I thought the replacement was metal! Either way, that's exactly what I did over the weekend, Im loving the new one.

Well then you're set! Should be smooth sailing from now on. I was standing in the empty engine bay when I pulled the stock POS plastic one out. I was in disbelief to see it turns and unlocks like a lightbulb in a socket... I'm pretty sure I took the master, as well as the chunk of line that was still attached to it and whipped it across the shop floor in disgust.

What were they thinking?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by six40
Well then you're set! Should be smooth sailing from now on. I was standing in the empty engine bay when I pulled the stock POS plastic one out. I was in disbelief to see it turns and unlocks like a lightbulb in a socket... I'm pretty sure I took the master, as well as the chunk of line that was still attached to it and whipped it across the shop floor in disgust.

What were they thinking?

Yeah for real, blows my mind!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Wasn't the recalled CMC still made of plastic? Just with some form of reinforcement? Regardless I'd still get the AMS/MAP/Mag aftermarket solution with the OEM cylinder like others have said.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jakgal04
Wasn't the recalled CMC still made of plastic?

It sure is, I conformed that in post 2. Some have had better luck with the new version of the plastic CMC, however, mine was leaking down the firewall and when the engine was out, I took the opportunity to upgrade it.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
first they had plastic clutch CMCs, then plastic valve covers.... next up we're gonna have plastic brakes and plastic tires...