Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

MHI 18k: Porting/Coating or no?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MHI 18k: Porting/Coating or no?

I'm looking to purchase a 18k and like the title states, I'm not sure if the two add ons are worth it. The little research I've done seems to say porting a stock frame turbo isn't worth the price or effort, and coating the turbine housing is. I was looking for input from you guys about pros and cons of both. For reference, the car is full bolt on minus intercooler/downpipe, and I'm not planning on going further than this with the car.
Old May 1, 2017, 04:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
With the 18k, you should upgrade the intercooler and DP. Porting isn't a huge deal. But ceramic coating the DP and turbine housing would be a good idea.
Old May 1, 2017, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
With the 18k, you should upgrade the intercooler and DP. Porting isn't a huge deal. But ceramic coating the DP and turbine housing would be a good idea.
How much of a bottleneck is the stock downpipe? I was pretty set on going with the ETS intercooler with this turbo, but I didn't think a stock frame turbo warranted a dp upgrade.
Old May 1, 2017, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by ChiLAX
How much of a bottleneck is the stock downpipe? I was pretty set on going with the ETS intercooler with this turbo, but I didn't think a stock frame turbo warranted a dp upgrade.
you need a DP with this turbo , the stock one really holds this turbo back . Go with an AMS if you can!
Old May 1, 2017, 11:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiLAX
A DP isn't really needed a for stock turbo. But an upgraded stock frame turbo will benefit.