Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Acceleration Issue?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acceleration Issue?

Ok so I just spent the last hour looking for something similar to what happened to me this morning and I could not find anything matching my situation...soo here goes. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ok, normal routine began today. Warmed the car up, drove it to work, everything was fine. Lunch time, got in the car to get some chow, and I noticed that when im at or around 25% throttle in any gear cruising, the car feel like it loses a little power for about 2 seconds then goes back to the normal feeling when driving.

I managed to get on a road and cruise at about 40mph in 4th gear, and I have the gas pedal held in one position, and every couple of seconds the power decreases and then increases.

Car idles ok, under about 50% throttle car drives normal up to about 3000rpm and the throttle closes and the bov releases, but I am still inputting the same amount of throttle.

I only tried once giving it a little more than 50% throttle, and the car shuts either fuel or ignition off for a second or two and then it comes back on if I let off a little.

Spent my lunch poking around, and I noticed a leak from the smaller of the two fuel lines. Very minor, but none the less there was a leak due to the crappy stock squeeze clamp. I also noticed debris around the #3 injector. Looks like its been that way for awhile. Bad 0-ring? Fuel pump relay??

Pulled the plugs and the tips look a little dark, but the porcelain is still all white...dont have another set of ILKR8E6 to try, I have some other NGKs that were in the car before, but theyre wrong....

Would the o-ring cause the hesitations during driving?...it really feel like the car is loading up on fuel when the power decreases. AFR's fluctuate from 14-16 when cruising along with the rpms bounce up and down about 500rpm.

BTW, Mod list: AMS downpipe, AMS 4" Intercooler, AMS test pipe, ETS Extreme catback, E-tuned on COBB AP by RRE, Turbosmart dual port, Grimmspeed EBCS, ETS charge pipes, AMS intake, AEM UEGO, stock everything else engine wise.

HELP

Last edited by FlipSquad; Apr 27, 2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
When this happened you're sure the car was warmed up completely? Mine does the same thing under the same conditions until it's up to temp. Just a very small hardly noticeable blip in the power for a couple seconds here and there.

Sounds like you're checking all the right stuff but possibly chasing a ghost.
-asher
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The smaller fuel line is just the return line. Get a new OEM clamp on it.

Do a boost leak test, fix any leaks, and put new plugs in.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by static_set
When this happened you're sure the car was warmed up completely? Mine does the same thing under the same conditions until it's up to temp. Just a very small hardly noticeable blip in the power for a couple seconds here and there.

Sounds like you're checking all the right stuff but possibly chasing a ghost.
-asher
What is it that causes this? Across all the evos ive been in ive never seen this happen, But it could possible explain a problem im having while cruising for long periods of time
Old Apr 28, 2017, 05:56 PM

Thanks for all the input guys.

UPDATE: switched out the plugs for known good ones but they werent brand new and fixed the return fuel line. Same symptoms. I noticed that if I apply more than 50% throttle between shifts 2nd and on, car feels normal and AFRs look normal in the 11s/12s. Then after, if I cruise in 4th it runs fine......seems something related to TPS or MAF sensors maybe? This ****s killing me. I love this car but too much elecrtonics haha.

I do believe he O ring on one of the injectors is bad/leaking slightly...possibly dead at this point....making the car lean out?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 06:00 PM

Sometimes when the power decreases, the throttle even closes because the bov releases with a little flutter.

I wish I could just yell at it and it would fix itself hahah
Old Apr 29, 2017, 08:08 PM

UPDATE: Changed out the injectors for known good stockers. Still same symptoms. Also, replaced the pump relay with Mitsu blue. cleaned the MAF, cleaned the TPS, and nothing.

My next plan is to replace the fuel filter....fuel pump, then idk. I checked all the fuses, salt shaker test on all relays, chased all vac lines and plugs and wires and FML cant figure this out and I have that feeling in my stomach that its something stupid.

P.S. I did change out my Prosport gauges (Boost and Wideband) for a Depo Volt gauge and AEM UEGO. But I cant imagine any of the wires I played with would cause the issues im having, because the car ran fine for a day after I did the install....I did unplug the G sensor under the center console,,,but the car ran fine afterwards..

There is also an existing C161E code but thats been on and off for a few months.....PLEASE HELP
Old May 2, 2017, 06:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You need to datalog the event. See if the ecu loses signal from the TPPS (throttle PEDAL position sensor). Or if something else weird is going on.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
What is it that causes this? Across all the evos ive been in ive never seen this happen, But it could possible explain a problem im having while cruising for long periods of time
Sorry for the delay - just saw this. I can only speculate since this is my first Evo, but my particular instance probably has to do with the combination of throttle and cam timing while the engine is below optimal temps.

Doesn't really affect driving at all - but it's there.

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
There is also an existing C161E code but thats been on and off for a few months.....PLEASE HELP

Here's a little troubleshooting guide from AllData that might help you the next time that code pops up:

DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE

STEP 1. Check whether the diagnostic trouble code is reset.
As for vehicles under low temperature condition, carry out the contents of the precautions, and then check the diagnostic trouble code again.
Q: Is diagnosis code No.C161E set?
YES: Go to Step 2.
NO: This diagnosis is complete.

STEP 2. Scan tool CAN bus diagnostics
Using scan tool MB991958, diagnose the CAN bus lines.
Q: Is the check result normal?
YES: Go to Step 4.
NO: Repair the CAN bus lines. After repairing the CAN bus line, go to Step 3.

STEP 3. Check whether the DTC is reset.
Q: Is DTC No. C161E set?
YES: Go to Step 4.

STEP 4. Fluid check
Check that the fluid level is adequate. (See: Transmission and Drivetrain\Differential Assembly\Service and Repair\Procedures\Rear Axle\Fluid Level Check)
YES: Go to Step 5.
NO: Add the fluid. Then go to Step 15.

STEP 5. Scan tool diagnostic trouble code
Check if the AWC diagnostic trouble code No. C1611, C1612, C1625, or C161D is set.(See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions\S-AWC)
Q: Is the DTC set?
YES: Perform the relevant troubleshooting.
NO: Go to Step 6.

STEP 6. Scan tool actuator test
OK: Operating sound of the electric pump can be heard.
YES: Go to Step 14.
NO: Go to Step 7.

STEP 7. Electric pump relay single unit check
Check the electric pump relay. (See: Transmission and Drivetrain\Transfer Case\Service and Repair\Procedures\Sensor, Switch and Relay)
YES: Go to Step 8.
NO: Replace the electric pump relay. Then go to Step 15.

STEP 8. Electric pump relay connector check: A-26X
YES: Go to Step 9.
NO: Repair the defective connector. Then go to Step 15.

STEP 9. Check the wiring harness between A-26X electric pump relay connector terminal No. 2 and fusible link (35).
Check the power supply line for short or open circuit.
YES: Go to Step 10.
NO: Repair the wiring harness. Then go to Step 15.

STEP 10. Electric pump connector check: F-14
YES: Go to Step 11.
NO: Repair the defective connector. Then go to Step 15.

STEP 11. Check the wiring harness between A-26X electric pump relay connector terminal No. 4 and F-14 electric pump connector terminal No. 2.
Check the power supply line for short or open circuit.
YES: Go to Step 12.
NO: Check C-21 and D-12 intermediate connectors. When no problem is found, repair the wiring harness. Then go to Step 15.

STEP 12. Check the wiring harness between F-14 electric pump connector terminal No. 1 and body ground.
Check the ground line for open circuit.
YES: Go to Step 13.
NO: Repair the wiring harness. Then go to Step 15.

STEP 13. Check whether the DTC is reset.
YES: Replace the hydraulic unit. Then go to Step 14.
NO: Intermittent malfunction.

STEP 14. Check whether the DTC is reset.
YES: Replace the AWC-ECU. Then go to Step 15.

STEP 15. Check whether the DTC is reset.
YES: Return to Step 2.

-ash

Last edited by static_set; May 2, 2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old May 2, 2017, 02:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Humidity

Originally Posted by FlipSquad
UPDATE: Changed out the injectors for known good stockers. Still same symptoms. Also, replaced the pump relay with Mitsu blue. cleaned the MAF, cleaned the TPS, and nothing.

My next plan is to replace the fuel filter....fuel pump, then idk. I checked all the fuses, salt shaker test on all relays, chased all vac lines and plugs and wires and FML cant figure this out and I have that feeling in my stomach that its something stupid.

P.S. I did change out my Prosport gauges (Boost and Wideband) for a Depo Volt gauge and AEM UEGO. But I cant imagine any of the wires I played with would cause the issues im having, because the car ran fine for a day after I did the install....I did unplug the G sensor under the center console,,,but the car ran fine afterwards..

It's probably due to heat and humidity in Guam....Just kidding. not providing any useful information. Just saw a fellow Chamorro. Keep us posted though.