Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Precision 5858 Turbo Issues

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 08:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
The -10AN Bung is welded onto the pipe. That is why all the powder coat was removed around the welded area. I recoated it later after the testing was all done. It does look like there is sealant there in the pictures though.

- Robert
Old Jun 1, 2017, 09:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
It looks like sealant because the weld burned the coating off the fitting. If you zoom in, you can see that it is a weld.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I think you didn't read the thread.
The OP stated: "He told me it must be that the turbo can't drain oil properly or that I have to much crankcase/PCV pressure"

So I was recommending that oil cap device (which seems pretty slick) as an option to relieve all crankcase pressure to make sure he doesn't have a crankcase pressure issue. He can also go back to the turbo seller and say that he has alleviated any possible crankcase pressure issue, since that is what they are standing on currently. It is a cheaper quicker option than changing the PCV setup and doing catch cans, etc. Am I missing something

~Jaraxle
Old Jun 1, 2017, 09:57 AM
EvoM Guru

The OP already has a VTA catch can setup. And it's not working well enough. Adding that oil cap won't help.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
The OP stated: "He told me it must be that the turbo can't drain oil properly or that I have to much crankcase/PCV pressure"

So I was recommending that oil cap device (which seems pretty slick) as an option to relieve all crankcase pressure to make sure he doesn't have a crankcase pressure issue. He can also go back to the turbo seller and say that he has alleviated any possible crankcase pressure issue, since that is what they are standing on currently. It is a cheaper quicker option than changing the PCV setup and doing catch cans, etc. Am I missing something

~Jaraxle

Open vent isn't enough. Needed something to suck the crankcase pressure out (like stock). I am running 2 open -10AN vents currently and its not enough under normal driving (vacuum). Under boost the open vents seem to work better. The system I posted WITH that oil cap breather would probably be the ideal setup.

- Robert
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by ETS Michael
The -10AN Bung is welded onto the pipe. That is why all the powder coat was removed around the welded area. I recoated it later after the testing was all done. It does look like there is sealant there in the pictures though.

- Robert
Perfect, thanks for the info!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Open vent isn't enough. Needed something to suck the crankcase pressure out (like stock). I am running 2 open -10AN vents currently and its not enough under normal driving (vacuum). Under boost the open vents seem to work better. The system I posted WITH that oil cap breather would probably be the ideal setup.

- Robert
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you had both crankcase vents recirculated (not VTA at all) and you used the CFM vented oil cap wouldn't that be a major vacuum leak in a way?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:52 AM
EvoM Guru

I wouldn't run that VTA cap with a recirculated setup. I would make it impossible the recirc vents to draw a vacuum in the crank case (which is the goal). Once the crank case got to 0psi, or close to it, the other vents will just start drawing air through that breather. And it in boost, it will be a source of unmetered air if the car is running the MAF. And when the throttle is closed, it will be like a post throttle body vacuum leak, making idle harder to control.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

"This breather is the ONLY one in the market which incorporates a check ball to keep unmetered air from coming through while the crankcase is under vacuum. In other words, this breather acts just like a factory oil cap under normal driving conditions and when you get into boost it will release any crankcase pressure present."

- Robert
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
"This breather is the ONLY one in the market which incorporates a check ball to keep unmetered air from coming through while the crankcase is under vacuum. In other words, this breather acts just like a factory oil cap under normal driving conditions and when you get into boost it will release any crankcase pressure present."

- Robert
So the idle/vacuum issue is addressed, but how about under boost?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:32 AM
Former Sponsor

What do you mean? Under boost the vacuum line running to the intake manifold is sealed off by the PCV or the check valve on that side.

- Robert
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by e_kobz
So the idle/vacuum issue is addressed, but how about under boost?

The check ball/valve addresses that. It only releases any pressure that may be in the crank case, it does not allow air to enter the crank case.

- Robert

Cool. I didn't read into the description much.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Now that we all understand what that CFM cap does, wouldn't this be cheap and quick to TRY and relieve MORE pressure under boost? It closes under vac and therefore won't mess with PCV or idle. No it doesn't PULL, but honestly I am doubting the stock does much honestly. It will only relieve the problem more, and compliment any PCV/catchcan setup installed or being installed. I say throw it at the problem cause it cannot hurt, and only help.

~Jaraxle
Old Jun 1, 2017, 04:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Under boost, yes. That doesn't solve the smoking issue though. These smoke under vacuum and decel.

- Robert
Old Jun 1, 2017, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Under boost, yes. That doesn't solve the smoking issue though. These smoke under vacuum and decel.

- Robert
I don't understand. Why would it do that when there isn't blowby under vacuum & decel?
There should be nothing but vacuum at that time.

OP: Can you re-route your boost gauge to a hole drilled in your oil cap (and then buy a new oil cap)? I want data that says you have crank-case pressure under vacuum/decel.

~Jaraxle

Quick Reply: Precision 5858 Turbo Issues