Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

20g and 71hta discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 171 Likes on 117 Posts
20g and 71hta discussion

I wanted to start this thread to discuss the FP 71hta and 20g turbo variants on the Evo X. 20g has transformed over the years from what it was (an MHI truck turbo compressor) to nothing more than a form factor for X number of compressor wheels on the market. I personally have been running a 20g with a 9 blade td05 turbine (versus stock 12 blade) for quite some time. The 20g compressor I am running is an 11 blade garrett gtx style compressor. I have had such fantastic results that I am building another 20g turbo since I had an OEM Evo X CHRA laying around. (pics to come)

Why include the FP 71hta ? Because that turbo is so close to a 20g with a td05 stock 12 blade turbine that it is splitting hairs to not include it in the discussion. I have seen threads where guys have pushed that turbo far beyond what would have been thought possible. It also shares the same turbo compressor wheel base diameter (68mm) and turbine (TD05) as the 20g. Only the inducer is off by a scratch, that's it.

My results are documented in other threads, but a 20g on an Evo X on 93 PUMP GAS is good for 400hp+ at the wheels. This is with a 220hp stock baseline (SST trans).

The reason I think these turbos are so fantastic is that your giving up almost no spool (50rpm in my case), but can reach the commonly agreed upon limit of the stock block (and SST trans). Because of this, I believe it is the turbo the car SHOULD have come with. You also need ZERO machining on the OEM CHRA (for either 20g or 71hta) to convert the turbo!

I had correspondence with a compressor wheel maker. They are about to produce GTX GEN II wheels in 20g form factor. This would be a full 8 blade count compressor wheel. I am curious how that will perform.

My next 20g is a 7+7 borg warner EFR style compressor with a 9 blade TD05. It will be interesting to see what it does with ZERO other changes on my car versus the 11 blade compressor on there now.