Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

X twin clutch automatic trans ???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2007, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question X twin clutch automatic trans ???

OK im curious how mitsubishi did this. Ive heard alot about it ive riddin the the VW DSG cars that its more or less a heavy duty copy of, i just was wondering, Is this setup more like a maual transmision or an automatic triptornic trans with a shift kit>>>>>???? and one thing that i boils down to is dose this setup run a torque converter????? Does anyone have a diagram or cutaway of how this system acutaly works????

Later
DJ
Old Nov 5, 2007, 08:46 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
More like an auto-tiptronic simply because it doesn't have a clutch pedal. Similar to the VW DSG, you put this in Drive and hit the gas. Or, you put it in "manual" mode and you control the shifts via paddle shifters. It's just a little more advanced design (smarter computer systems controlling shifts) than your standard tiptronic and it shifts lightning fast (because of the dual clutches). No torque converter.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 09:18 AM

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-c...ansmission.htm

I guess you can kinda think of it as a manual transmission where the clutch is controlled for you.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:05 AM

It has two clutches, one for the odd gears, the other is for the even gears, it has two input shafts due to this. I believe the clutch assembly is of the wet type as in the DSG.

When you are in first, the clutch for the even gear sets is engaged with second gear selected EVEN though you are in first gear. When you choose second gear, the clutch for the odd gear sets engages with third gear selected and so on. With this the gear engagement are seemless and very quick.

Audi/VW DSG was developed with lessons learned from Porsche PDK gearbox that they developed back in the mid eighties as a future gearbox study. Porsche helped with the developement of the DSG.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 12:11 PM
FLK
Evolved Member

I believe the modules are made by BorgWarner and the Clutches by Aisin?
Old Nov 5, 2007, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OniKoroshi
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-c...ansmission.htm

I guess you can kinda think of it as a manual transmission where the clutch is controlled for you.
thanks man that cleared up alot of my questions.
later
DJ
Old Nov 6, 2007, 05:14 AM

So, say if you're in a constant speed at 5th gear, how does the SST knows which gear u gonna change to next? Will the other clutch pre-select 6th or 4th?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

^^ Depends on throttle and speed...
Old Nov 6, 2007, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

....in automatic it would sense if you're thinking of coasting or obviously if you hit your foot on the foor it'll know you want to "go fast".

If you're in manual mode - well.. I'd just like to assume that people actually bother to read things.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

the big thing i had a hard time understanding is the "seemless auto mode" i understand how it can shift so well smothly. i just have a hard time believing a computer would be able to start moving the car using a clutch pack smothly, while compensating for just a general roll on or a flool it launch and compensating for hills and road conditions the millions of other factors, like i know no one would ever do it but if you power braked it would you effectively be destroying the clutch pack that it would be tying to engage??
later
DJ
Old Nov 6, 2007, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Redlimit835
the big thing i had a hard time understanding is the "seemless auto mode" i understand how it can shift so well smothly. i just have a hard time believing a computer would be able to start moving the car using a clutch pack smothly, while compensating for just a general roll on or a flool it launch and compensating for hills and road conditions the millions of other factors, like i know no one would ever do it but if you power braked it would you effectively be destroying the clutch pack that it would be tying to engage??
later
DJ
I doubt you'd destroy it...and I doubt anybody wants to be the first to find out...lol. And I know this really isn't a great comparison...but rally cars with SST's can take an absolute thrashing and still be fine. So, there's the hope that some of that WRC experience trickled down into mass market design.