Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

LA Auto Show Review

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2007, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LA Auto Show Review

Well I recently went to the LA Auto Show, and my mission was to check out each and every car with an open mind. The three cars that most interested me were the- 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X, the 2008 BMW 135i, and the 2008/2009 Subaru WRX STI. So here is what I thought about the cars-

The EVO X-

Seriously I didn't know what to expect before seeing the car. I've never had an up close and personal view of the car. When I first saw the EVO X I quickly realized pictures do not do it justice. It looks very nice in person and judging by the crowd around the two EVO cars, there are many that are interested in the car. I took a long a firend to also get his opinion. When he saw the EVO X at the LA Auto Show his first words were "Dude, I am so buying this car!" Amongst the crowd, I struck up a conversation with another EVO IX owner, who also happend to be a EVO X hater. Here were some of his comments, "The EVO X looks too sporty," and "The interior isn't as good as the IX." All in all, in my opinion I was completely impressed with the styling of the car, I loved how it look, and yes that hater was right, the car does indeed look sporty. The interior was ok, I just wish I had the opportunity to sit in the car instead of peeking through the windows. To get an idea of how the instrument cluster will somewhat look like, I sat in the 08 Lancer GTS. There of course are things missing, like the seats and etc., but the instrument cluster and radio unit are pretty much the same. So going off of that, I could already tell it was a definite improvement over the EVO IX. My friend said he didn't like the fact that the radio head unit seemed like it would be extremely difficult to swap out for an aftermarket unit. Honestly the interior still isn't nothing special, but it is better than the IX in my opinion. So overall the EVO X gets two .

The BMW 135i-

I had high hopes for this car, but left not as impressed as I thought I would be. Perhaps that will change driving the car, but as far as styling the 135i isn't as impressive as it looked in pictures. First thing you notice, is how small it looks. I mean it looks really small, and I have a hard time figuring out how it only weighs 100 or so pounds less than the 335i. I thought the exterior styling was ok looking, for some reason I thought it would look like a baby BMW M3, and it certainly doesn't. I mean seeing it in person really helps a lot more than pictures. My friend, wasn't impressed at all. In fact he used the words "Ugly" and "To small" in many of his descriptions of the BMW 135i. Like the EVO X, we were not permitted to sit in the 135i. So we checked out the 335i to get an idea of what to expect from the 135i. Ok the 335i is an awesome car with a lot of potential, but for a German European vehicle, it has an absolutely just boring interior. Is it nice, yes, but boring. Is it comfortable and spacious, yes, but boring. Now if this is the 135i's big brother, than I don't expect to be much more excited about the 135i's interior. The big problem though, is that the 135i will not have the benefit of the space of the 335i. Overall I gave the 135i a , my friend gave the 135i a big fat .

The WRX STI-

Ok I was a little worried about seeing this car. I was worried that if I saw it in person, I might think it looked pretty good. Although I think a $35,000 hatch is not a good seller, I personally have nothing against hatches and think they look nice. I had just seen the Volkswagen R32, Mazdaspeed 3, and Volvo C30, and been impressed with all three. So when I saw the STI I was really relieved, because it just isn't a very attractive car. Now I understand fully why people who have actually seen the STI and EVO in person, say the EVO looks a lot better, because it does. No way around it, it does. Now I am not gonna say the STI is ugly, but it isn't nothing special, even in my favorite color blue. My friend was a bit more harsh. He actually likes the previous generation STI a lot and was really interested in seeing the new STI, and was very disappointed in what he saw. Some of his first words were, "WTF did Subaru do to the STI?!?!" Also judging by the crowd, or lack there of one, I do not think that there are too many other people impressed with the new STI. Interior wise, better than the EVO X. But from pictures, it looks light years better, but in reality it is just a little better, and this is in comparison to a Lancer GTS. I thought it was nice, but maybe it was the fact we just sat in a VW R32, but the STI interior was just marginally better than the Lancer GTS interior. My friend on the other hand wasn't impressed with the interior at all, he thought the interior looked cheap (he also thought the EVO X interior looked cheap). So in the end, we both gave the STI two big .

Now this was just an auto show, and feelings may change once the cars get on road and people can drive them. But from a styling point of view, this is how we felt.

Other cars we checked out really quick-

Dodge Caliber SRT-4- Looked cheap from the outside, looked cheap from the inside, just overall a cheap looking car. Not a great successor to the Neon SRT-4 at all. No body even seemed to care about this car, and rightfully so. Maybe fast, but I am not 19 years old anymore and now care about other things than just going fast in a straight line.

Volvo C30- I liked it, thought it was a cool funky looking car. Thought the interior was very nice for the price. My friend didn't like it.

Mazdaspeed 3- Nice little car, both of us thought it looked nice inside and out.

E90-E92 BMW M3- I thought this car was one of the most beautiful there. I thought it was much more aggressive looking than the Lexus IS-F. My friend I guess irritated by his disappointment of the 135i, started hating on the BMW M3. So I gave it a giant huge , but my friend gave it a

The Lexus IS-F-

The Nissan GT-R- Two huge, giant, extremely large, oprah

Last edited by 3000ways; Nov 21, 2007 at 08:20 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 04:36 AM
FLK
Evolved Member

Nice writeup, thanks
Old Nov 21, 2007, 04:45 AM

Yep, thx for all that. Further reaffirms my pre-order of the EVO X MR.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

evo x mr for the win.

but the big question is, phantom black or wicked white. so hard to choose.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 05:18 AM

I ordered Phantom Black Pearl...without even seeing it. With a name like that, how could it not be a hot color?! Haha!
Old Nov 21, 2007, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Good write up 3000. I usually am treated to an interesting read when you post something up, "oprah is funny!
Old Nov 21, 2007, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Nice writeup. Your friends M3 opinion seems pretty dubious. I can't wait for the base price announcement on that car.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is the new MS3 more HP? AWD?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was the RWD Tiburon there or is that even out yet? Just another 'odd' car I'm curius about.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by si_to_evo
is the new MS3 more HP? AWD?
nope. it is carry over
Old Nov 21, 2007, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

3000. Did you notice the brakes on the X are bigger?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by formerSTIowner
Was the RWD Tiburon there or is that even out yet? Just another 'odd' car I'm curius about.
Yes it was there and it looked very nice. Still a concept though, but I do look forward to seeing the finished product .

Also I was very pleased that I was able to go on a dyno strapped test drive of the Lexus IS-F. They let us floor it from 0-100mph+. I was amazed at how durable the car was. I mean, that car probably already had over a thousand acceleration runs and was still running with out a hitch. I don't think my EVO could take the same abuse, LOL.

Other cars of interest-

The Audi R8- Looked like a $200,000 car. I mean it really is a nice and different looking car. I always thought if I ever had the money I'd take a Porsche 911 Turbo, C6 Corvette Z06, or 911 GT3 over the R8 in a heart beat, but now I don't know. I mean the R8 is a very interesting looking car.

Volkswagen R32- I did like this car, but overall I just didn't see it as much of an improvement over the previous R32 and honestly I think I enjoyed the interior in the GTI more. My friend felt differently.

Dodge Viper- I am 5'10 and 190 pounds and even I struggled getting in and out of this car. Now I am purely looking at the Viper compared to its competition and I feel like it just falls short as an overall vehicle compared to the competition such as C6 Corvette Z06, R8, Porsche 911 GT3, and GT-R. I realize it is faster than all those cars, but man all those other cars if needed to be could be driven daily, I wouldn't dare drive this Viper daily. But it sure does look bad ***

Porsche 911 GT2- Looks awesome, if I only had the money

Lamborghini Reventon- Ok before you guys make me bust out the flame suit I'll just let you know, both of us gave this car . Sorry I just don't see why Lamborghini is charging $1.4 million for this car. I mean I think the only thing really special about this car over the other Lambos, like the Murcielago LP640, is that it has a very limited production. Other than that it is just a slightly more powerful LP640 with a body kit. Would I own it, of course I would if somebody gave it to me. If I made billions of dollars and could easily afford this car, no I wouldn't. I just couldn't justify spending that much money on that car, at least the Bugatti has 1,000hp. Hey maybe you guys feel differently.

I definitly recommend going to the LA Auto Show, I had a blast, and I am very pleased we have much greater access and closer views of all the vehicles. Just a little disappointed I was unable to sit in the EVO X, I mean damn, I can sit in $100,000 vehicles, but Mitsubishi won't let me sit in a $30,000 or so EVO that is gonna be released in less than two months (But they'll take a $500.00 deposit )

Last edited by 3000ways; Nov 21, 2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dosagex
3000. Did you notice the brakes on the X are bigger?
Yes they are, not sure on how much bigger, but they do indeed look bigger in person.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

It's hard to explain, but before I saw the EVO X, I was expecting to see like a sporty sedan, similiar to like a TL, TSX, or IS350 or something. But honestly in person it is a lot more sportier than I imagined. In fact take a couple doors off and it would look like a sports car (ok maybe that is pushing it) but I couldn't say the same thing about the EVO IX. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the EVO IX also, but it does not look anything remotely like a sports car. In my opinion the EVO X looks very sporty, and the EVO IX just looks aggressive. So I guess it depends on what you like more.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:09 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice write up. Interesting to hear your thoughts on the 135. It's so weird how cars look totally different in pics then in person.

The R8 is one heck of an amazing car. I work for Audi and got a chance to drive it a couple months ago. By far the best driving experience I've had in a car that is street legal. The R8 handles like a dream (the magnetic ride system makes quite a noticeable difference). Has gobs of power. Has quattro. The interior is elegant and comfortable. Probably my favorite car right now. Still gotta see the GT-R in person though!

Quick Reply: LA Auto Show Review