Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

BlackTrack's weight reduction thread: Over 130lbs so far...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlackTrack's weight reduction thread: Over 130lbs so far...

Hey guys

In preparation for the upcoming RTA @ Buttonwillow as well as the NASA TT season, I started off by taking some weight out of the car. All of this was done in under 45 mins, very easy to do, and all is very easily put back. Ill post some pics I took as well as a list of the weight.

Removed:
Trunk walls: -2.0lbs
Battery cover: -3.0lbs
Tools: -6.8lbs
Trunk/Hood plastic: -.8lbs
Subwoofer: -16.0lbs
Spare tire: -40.2lbs
Spare cover: -4.0lbs
Rear seats: -40.2lbs
Washer fluid: -12.4lbs
All bolts: -.6lbs
Floor mats: -5.4lbs.

Total as of 3/11/08 = -131.4lbs

Subwoofer:

Tools:

I couldn't get the cover above the rear seats off, so the stock rear seatbelts are still on. Hoping a few pounds will be shed there.

Next set of weight loss will come from mods @ AMS and Robispec. Lookin to lose around another 125lbs with TBE, Intake, Mini battery, coilovers etc. After that, Bride Zeta III's are next, hoping at least 55lb reduction with those...I am unsure of the weight of the stock seats, but I am guessing they are pretty heavy. Next will be Girodisc rotors (waiting on new Evo X castings to be done) all around, that should be 12-14lbs, and thats rotational mass which a bonus!

Thats all for now, Ill update it again soon when the time comes.

-Ryan
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

cool, I'd need my backseat but cool stuff
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Ryan, just remember that you dont want your "competition weight" to be any less than 3500ish lbs for TTA, otherwise, youre going to have to take points for it. So be careful as to how much weight you actually take out of the car.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Ryan

131 + 125 + 55 = 311 lbs

Unless you weigh a good 320 lbs, with those estimated weight reductions, youre going to be a good 150 lbs below your competition weight, maybe more. I factored you in as around 150 lbs. That will obviously change if you weigh more, or less than 150 lbs. With those figures (at the very least) youre looking at a +11 for weight reduction. Realistically, you wont know until you get on the scales. But if youre already planning such a great deal of weight reduction, you should definitely think about this aspect before you proceed.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:17 PM

OHHh i did this to my old 05 scion tc when i went to get it shampoo
I didnt like it one bit you could hear everything even the lil rocks hitting under the car and you get to hear the exhaust more you cant even hear your self think
its a hollow good for the trake (need sum ear plugs) dailey diver
Old Mar 12, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bueller
Ryan

131 + 125 + 55 = 311 lbs

Unless you weigh a good 320 lbs, with those estimated weight reductions, youre going to be a good 150 lbs below your competition weight, maybe more. I factored you in as around 150 lbs. That will obviously change if you weigh more, or less than 150 lbs. With those figures (at the very least) youre looking at a +11 for weight reduction. Realistically, you wont know until you get on the scales. But if youre already planning such a great deal of weight reduction, you should definitely think about this aspect before you proceed.
Ed

You do bring up a good point. The weight of the car stock is much more than the 3500 NASA classes it at, around 3600 actually, possibly more. I think I was being very optimistic with those projected weight loss figures, I think it'll be more realistic to see -70lbs from the engine/suspension mods and maybe -50lbs for the seats. I will do all this and get the car weighed before the Buttonwillow event. If in fact I'm under 3,500lbs, all of the weight I took out last night is very easily put back to get back to the comp weight. All of this is hypothetical til we get everything installed and weighed. I am hopin to be very close to 3,500 so I can leave it as is.

Thanks for the heads up Ed!
Old Mar 12, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't you think its dangerous driving the car around with no bolts?!
Old Mar 12, 2008, 09:20 AM
Account Disabled

Heres where I don’t get. You buy a Evo X because you think and said "8/9 have cheap interior"…..but then you gut out your Evo X anyways trying to save weight even tho gutting an Evo 8/9 can bring you way down to the 3000lbs by removing the same things you just did in the rear (added Greddy Ti and JDM rear without safely bar). What is the point of buying a car with nice interior (so some of you clam even tho the front seats of the Evo X have fake CF and look really cheap to me)….?

Almost as confusing as someone with an 8/9 MR with BBS rims…then they go buy after market cheap rim brand like Kong and Rota

Last edited by redteam22003; Mar 12, 2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redteam22003
Heres where I don’t get. You buy a Evo X because you think and said "8/9 have cheap interior"…..but then you gut out your Evo X anyways trying to save weight even tho gutting an Evo 8/9 can bring you way down to the 3000lbs by removing the same things you just did in the rear (added Greddy Ti and JDM rear without safely bar). What is the point of buying a car with nice interior (so some of you clam even tho the front seats of the Evo X have fake CF and look really cheap to me)….?

Almost as confusing as someone with an 8/9 MR with BBS rims…then they go buy after market cheap rim brand like Kong and Rota
I think you may be quoting the wrong person, I dont think the IX's have a cheap interior, I had one. I sold my IX MR because I would have to do so much prep work just to TRY to make the tranny last, in the end it wasn't worth it. I didnt buy the X for its "nice" interior, I think its extremely cheap, looks nice, but it is cheap. I bought my X for something different, and plan to make it a track car (NASA TT & RTA), hence gutting it.

I gutted the rear for the same reason anyone who is making a track car would, to save weight.

Ryan
Old Mar 12, 2008, 09:46 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by BlackTrack
I think you may be quoting the wrong person, I dont think the IX's have a cheap interior, I had one. I sold my IX MR because I would have to do so much prep work just to TRY to make the tranny last, in the end it wasn't worth it. I didnt buy the X for its "nice" interior, I think its extremely cheap, looks nice, but it is cheap. I bought my X for something different, and plan to make it a track car (NASA TT & RTA), hence gutting it.

I gutted the rear for the same reason anyone who is making a track car would, to save weight.

Ryan
I am not saying you Ryan that said that. Its just maybe 90% and how they market the Evo X is because it has better interior then the 8/9....to me all 3 has crappy interiors, not one is better then the other...its cheap cover up interiors

BTW: Poop before you race, he will never know you loss the weigth
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:37 AM
Former Sponsor

remember 3 people in car from SLC to Apple valley....I'll work with you on stripping it afterwards also look at the Redline rules.....street needs a pretty full interior...who's caging the car?
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robi
remember 3 people in car from SLC to Apple valley....I'll work with you on stripping it afterwards also look at the Redline rules.....street needs a pretty full interior...who's caging the car?
Oh...well one of you should fit in the back Im jokin, it'll be on a trailer, so we can all fit in my truck. I read the street rules and it said the front part needed to be intact, but the rear could be gutted, if I read that right.

I am not sure on a cage yet, need to think more about it.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are you babbling man, X is the only evo you can buy now so stop this!Can i buy a new IX?
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackTrack
Ed

You do bring up a good point. The weight of the car stock is much more than the 3500 NASA classes it at, around 3600 actually, possibly more. I think I was being very optimistic with those projected weight loss figures, I think it'll be more realistic to see -70lbs from the engine/suspension mods and maybe -50lbs for the seats. I will do all this and get the car weighed before the Buttonwillow event. If in fact I'm under 3,500lbs, all of the weight I took out last night is very easily put back to get back to the comp weight. All of this is hypothetical til we get everything installed and weighed. I am hopin to be very close to 3,500 so I can leave it as is.

Thanks for the heads up Ed!
Sounds good. I think youll be just fine. If the car actually weighs 3600 lbs, or even if its a tad over 3500 lbs, that is definitely to your advantage. That will give you an opportunity to take more weight out of the car, and run it with a lower competition weight. Although, i would be sort of careful with that. If NASA later on realizes that they need to re-class its base weight, that will obviously hurt you. Although, thats not much of a big deal, because you can always add ballast. New cars are always re-classed in certain ways as the season progresses. If i were you, i would have put the car on scales before i did anything else.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

I am not saying you Ryan that said that. Its just maybe 90% and how they market the Evo X is because it has better interior then the 8/9....to me all 3 has crappy interiors, not one is better then the other...its cheap cover up interiors

BTW: Poop before you race, he will never know you loss the weigth

Read the sections i have highlighted in bold. It sounds to me that you claim he said that. Otherwise, why would you reply with the following?

"You buy a Evo X because you think and said..."

Ryan, nevermind these other guys. They dont know whats going on here.

Quick Reply: BlackTrack's weight reduction thread: Over 130lbs so far...