Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Nitrogen in tires

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2008, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 03evo4g63
I work at Costco in the tire center, and ALL we use to fill up all the tires we sell is nitrogen. The only real benefits of using nitrogen is as some people have already said, the nitrogen molecules are larger than conventional air molecules, which in turn means that with temperature fluctuation you are not going to loose as much air as conventional air. Incorrect air pressure is the leading cause of premature tire wear according to TIA (tire industry of america). Like someone mentioned, you will not need nitrogen if you maintain your air pressures and check them every time you fill up. This is 100% true. But how many people (that don't own sports cars) really check their air every time. I would probably say only 1/10 people do this. Most people only check air pressures when they notice a tire that is loosing air, or before a long trip. They don't even think about checking them. It is recommended to check air pressure at least once a month. With the improper inflation pressure, it will effect your speed, gas mileage, handling, and most importantly the wear patterns on the tires themselves. So pretty much I do see nitrogen as a beneficiary to those 9/10 people that hardly ever check their own air pressures.

As to the other post about mixing nitrogen and conventional air, it is okay to do so. The only thing that mixing this air will do is just add more moisture inside the tires. Most cars that do have nitrogen in them have green valve caps to designate so. Places, such as vavoline and jiffy lube will not touch tires with nitrogen in them for some reason If a shop tries to charge you to top off your air with nitrogen, DON'T pay them. We will top off your nitrogen air for free at ANY Costco Warehouse in the nation. So I guess, nitrogen has both it's benefits and down falls. It is up to you to decide if it really is worth it or not.
Good info!
Old May 7, 2008, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 03evo4g63
I work at Costco in the tire center, and ALL we use to fill up all the tires we sell is nitrogen. The only real benefits of using nitrogen is as some people have already said, the nitrogen molecules are larger than conventional air molecules, which in turn means that with temperature fluctuation you are not going to loose as much air as conventional air. Incorrect air pressure is the leading cause of premature tire wear according to TIA (tire industry of america). Like someone mentioned, you will not need nitrogen if you maintain your air pressures and check them every time you fill up. This is 100% true. But how many people (that don't own sports cars) really check their air every time. I would probably say only 1/10 people do this. Most people only check air pressures when they notice a tire that is loosing air, or before a long trip. They don't even think about checking them. It is recommended to check air pressure at least once a month. With the improper inflation pressure, it will effect your speed, gas mileage, handling, and most importantly the wear patterns on the tires themselves. So pretty much I do see nitrogen as a beneficiary to those 9/10 people that hardly ever check their own air pressures.

As to the other post about mixing nitrogen and conventional air, it is okay to do so. The only thing that mixing this air will do is just add more moisture inside the tires. Most cars that do have nitrogen in them have green valve caps to designate so. Places, such as vavoline and jiffy lube will not touch tires with nitrogen in them for some reason If a shop tries to charge you to top off your air with nitrogen, DON'T pay them. We will top off your nitrogen air for free at ANY Costco Warehouse in the nation. So I guess, nitrogen has both it's benefits and down falls. It is up to you to decide if it really is worth it or not.
"The only real benefits of using nitrogen is as some people have already said, the nitrogen molecules are larger than conventional air molecules, which in turn means that with temperature fluctuation you are not going to loose as much air as conventional air."

that is not the REAL benefit for the nitrogen. It is a big pluss i have to admit.
But the real issue the holding pressure at the same level. In racing less then 2 laps with air you can have dramatic pressure change in your tires. And can ruin your lap times...With nitrogen you dont have to worry, you can run more constant laps. The cat attitude is not changing that much.Now that is what i call real benefit.

Those who dont look for the pressure they dont care anyway they going 20 or 19 miles /gallon ..
And when is too obvious they will pump it up, if they remember for the right pressure or just do it buy eye judgement...
Old May 7, 2008, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

nitrofill is just another way to get more money out of you
Old May 7, 2008, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by max2evoix
nitrofill is just another way to get more money out of you
certainly you never used them on track
Old May 8, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

With so many different opinions.....this would've been a great poll question.
Old May 8, 2008, 08:55 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Screw nitrogen, I use hydrogen because I got tired of Evo IX people telling me my car was too heavy.

I started with 45psi of hydrogen in each tire, but it was too much, because when I came out to my garage the next morning, I fond my car sticking to the roof of the garage. I got up on a ladder and lowered them to 32psi. PERFECT! My car now weighs 250 pounds less than my IX did and is faster in the virtual quarter mile.
Old May 8, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

I <3 noize
Old May 9, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

I run it in my caddy which has real time pressure readings on the dash display. I do see 5-6psi fluctuations during DD. But it is always the same rate of increase/decrease. I also fill up much less than compressed air. I filled up once in 9 months.

Of course I am an aircraft tech and have easy access to the stuff.
Old May 9, 2008, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If you want something to help you out "at the races". Then use HFC404 at 50 percent and CO2 at 50 percent. The mixture was uncovered in the Ferrrari and Mercedes information thefts, and showed to enhance the performance of a tire over, where as the nitrogen air mixtures fell off after about 7 laps.
Old May 9, 2008, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SWOLN
If you want something to help you out "at the races". Then use HFC404 at 50 percent and CO2 at 50 percent. The mixture was uncovered in the Ferrrari and Mercedes information thefts, and showed to enhance the performance of a tire over, where as the nitrogen air mixtures fell off after about 7 laps.
yes thats good ,but how you will managed it on the track, service wise?
Also the Time Attack races are timed buy 3 laps at a time, or autoX's 1 lap at a time.
Good info otherwise
Old May 9, 2008, 12:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by topturtle
Filling your DD with nitrogen is not going to do much for your car.
This is not true IMHO. Nitrogen is also for those lazy people who change the oil every 20,000 miles and never check tire pressures. I forget exactly how many millions of gallons of gas are wasted every year from under-inflated tires, but it's a lot. Nitrogen helps.
Old May 9, 2008, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
yes thats good ,but how you will managed it on the track, service wise?
Also the Time Attack races are timed buy 3 laps at a time, or autoX's 1 lap at a time.
Good info otherwise
My answer to that is not one of hot air per say, but if I were in competition there, I'd opt for the Chickenhawk Racing Tire warmers.

Service at the track would be easy BTW with the above mixture. One would have had the mixture made up previous to the event, in a tank.
Old May 9, 2008, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SWOLN
My answer to that is not one of hot air per say, but if I were in competition there, I'd opt for the Chickenhawk Racing Tire warmers.

Service at the track would be easy BTW with the above mixture. One would have had the mixture made up previous to the event, in a tank.
yes i wish i have that much support. I barley get water out there