Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Hows the DBW lag

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2008, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hows the DBW lag

Im really looking into the X, I just love it. Now hows the DBW lag on this car, I told myself i would not buy a DBW car again. My GTi is DBW and its not bad, but my audi sucks. How is it in this car
Old Jun 29, 2008, 06:06 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

You wouldn't know it's DBW. Throttle response is instant.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:19 PM

For those of us scratching our heads: DBW = drive by wire
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

The only sort of lag you have to worry about is turbo lag. There isn't too much of that though.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Don't notice it.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:48 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

I agree with everyone else. It's implemented so well that you wouldn't know it was DBW. I think that DWB as a technology is getting a lot better across the board. Most manufacturers are doing a great job with it nowadays. Kind of reminds me of ABS, which was horrible when it first came out, and nowadays is largely transparent.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know a bit about poor DBW implementations, as the one in the 8th Gen Civic Si is horrible.

The Si has two problems: Lag, and RPM holding. I've not noticed a significant amount of either in my X.

There might be a tiny bit of lag in the X's implementation, but you'll never notice it. Why? It's vastly eclipsed by the turbo lag. Once the turbo is spooled the throttle is responsive and instantaneous.

I also had very serious reservations about buying another DBW car, but I have been very happy with the responsiveness of the X's throttle.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

I experience RPM holding often... It`s annoying!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DrasticK
I do as well.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
I know a bit about poor DBW implementations, as the one in the 8th Gen Civic Si is horrible.

The Si has two problems: Lag, and RPM holding. I've not noticed a significant amount of either in my X.

There might be a tiny bit of lag in the X's implementation, but you'll never notice it. Why? It's vastly eclipsed by the turbo lag. Once the turbo is spooled the throttle is responsive and instantaneous.

I also had very serious reservations about buying another DBW car, but I have been very happy with the responsiveness of the X's throttle.
This issue in the 8th gen Civics was largely fixed in the 07's. I've got a 2007 Sedan and I don't really have poor response or rev hang issues.

Test driving the GSR I didn't notice the DBW either...
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:01 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by DrasticK
Originally Posted by evostang
I do as well.

Are you guys talking about rev hang on upshifts? I've never seen it except when I had an MBC and was throwing the P1235 code. I pulled the MBC out right away after that.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Are you guys talking about rev hang on upshifts? I've never seen it except when I had an MBC and was throwing the P1235 code. I pulled the MBC out right away after that.
To be honest, it's only when I blip the throttle or slip it into nuetral. Never on upshifts, now that would be a real problem.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Couple different scenarios.

1) When tapping the throttle.
2) When I'm in stop and go traffic, and I creep forward a couple feet in first, then press in the clutch while rolling prior to stopping again. It's done this since the day I took delivery. Maximum speed in this scenario is maybe 10 mph.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spooled_u
This issue in the 8th gen Civics was largely fixed in the 07's. I've got a 2007 Sedan and I don't really have poor response or rev hang issues.
The "fix" was actually introduced only 6000 cars into the 2006 production run. It helped a bit with the lag, but the rev hang is still intolerable. There's still a lot of people who complain about it on their '07s and '08s. A friend bought an '08 coupe that still exhibits the same symptoms as my early '06 (post-reflash). So I'll agree that the lag was largely addressed (though its sloppiness becomes very apparent in AutoX), but the implementation is still poor. I love the Si , but I'm not going to make apologies for its biggest shortcoming.

Somewhat inexplicably (to me, anyway), it only seems to bother about half of the owners. Those new to manuals, in particular, don't seem to mind as much. Maybe they learn to live with it while I refuse to change my driving style to match poor design, I dunno.

That's probably the case with most DBW systems. They don't bother most people, and they're cheaper, so they're becoming widely used.

Anyway, the X has been great. I've been very pleased. And it got us cruise control, because cruise control on a DBW car is practically free.