Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Turbomagazine X

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Turbomagazine X

I just find this article. So it is might be a repost, but i find some really interesting things . As far as i knew, this was an opposite and devolved from the previous versions of evos. So that is why they called the X is a not true evo anymore. I will do soma example what i mean. everytingh is in " .." that is what i used to get from as a draw back.
- this is what the article said:

1/ "4b11 can't hold more boost"

-The Evo X will have an ignition coil for each of its four cylinders, as opposed to the twin-coil system used on the Evo IX, where two cylinders shared one coil. This time around, the cylinder head and block use separate cooling chambers, resulting in more reliability and importantly, less mess when you turn the boost up too high.

2/ " the turbo is not as good as the IX"

-turbocharger Mitsubishi has yet to offer on the Evo. This one's entirely aluminum-oh, and titanium. It's still based on a TD05H, but this one's called a TD05HA-152G6C-12T. A big part of the reason it's in place is the higher compression ratio of the new engine (9.0:1 compared to 8.8:1). For those nerdy enough, the Evo IX used a TD05HRA-155G6C-10.5T, and the Japan-only Evo X RS uses a TD05H-152G6-12T. That RS turbocharger has an Inconel turbine wheel (as compared to the titanium-aluminum wheel we just mentioned).

3/ "too much electronics make this one a not true Evo anymore"

-That's because historically, each new Evolution has essentially been the technologically improved version of its immediate successor.

-Head developer Ryugo Nakao says, "...to date, the main thrust has been how fast we can make them [go]... But in our view things have now changed. Today's new generation of super high-performance machines need to deliver more than absolute speed; they have to wrap that speed in safety and in comfort."

4/ "turbo is in the back... what mitsubishi thinking??? "

- On top of that, it's aimed the other way around, with the turbocharger against the firewall and the intake on the radiator side. This allows for a 10mm lower engine mounting position (the exhaust doesn't have to go underneath it), which results in a lower center of gravity.

-On top of that, the downpipe, which is much shorter, is now 65mm instead of the Evo IX's 60mm pipe.

If some one didn't read it yet here it is.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/feature...n_x/index.html

No fight, just observations
Old Sep 3, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree on all those points...
Old Sep 3, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BocaShula
I agree on all those points...
Well if i drove an older model vehicle i would defend it too.

I guess time will tell. Now lets see a real engine builder and the pro shops here say how it is. What makes a dual coil system better than one? Why a titanium wheel is better than inconel and so on.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Papi4baby
Well if i drove an older model vehicle i would defend it too.

I guess time will tell. Now lets see a real engine builder and the pro shops here say how it is. What makes a dual coil system better than one? Why a titanium wheel is better than inconel and so on.
I believe the OP was arguing why the X is a better car, in not the greatest english perhaps. I think he is pointing out the major differences from the IX to the X, while at the same time explaining why those difference arn't bad: better engine design for cooling/longevity, better turbo, better electronics, and better motor position.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
-Head developer Ryugo Nakao says, "...to date, the main thrust has been how fast we can make them [go]... But in our view things have now changed. Today's new generation of super high-performance machines need to deliver more than absolute speed; they have to wrap that speed in safety and in comfort."
That is all fine but the newer car must be at least as fast as or faster than the one before no matter what handling improvements they make.

So if the old one did 0-60 in 11.5s then the new on must do 11.5s of better but also handle better.. especially when your target market is guys who are "all about the performance numbers" - those numbers must all look better.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ExcessLancer
That is all fine but the newer car must be at least as fast as or faster than the one before no matter what handling improvements they make.

So if the old one did 0-60 in 11.5s then the new on must do 11.5s of better but also handle better.. especially when your target market is guys who are "all about the performance numbers" - those numbers must all look better.
the Evo is a tuner car in Japan - EU- AU etc., since its born.
So In Japan and EU at least , people buy the Evo because the possibilities ant not the actual factory performance.
Talking about bad factory performance... If the JDM or AU -EU EVo IX would be sold in here, then they would be a "worst Evo ever " "The End of the Evos" etc. But its not...
Example:
in Australia the EVo IX 0-60 mph is 5.7 sec. vs us spec Evo IX 0-60 4.5 sec.
au site
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring...o-9-review.htm

us site
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ecs_price.html

The 1/4 mile run ONLY interested in US. IN EU and other parts on the world the people know there is more then 1/4 mile.

The fact matter is the EvoX is 0-60 5.4 sec... so in EU standards not that shabby

Fact in AU the X is faster then a IX ... runs 5.5 sec to 0-60 mph
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=43983

Last edited by Robevo RS; Sep 3, 2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^The X averages around 4.9 0-60, not 5.4 dude. The initial test from motor trend or whoever it was recorded that when they had a pre-production model that had serious misfiring issues with the overly rich condition that was vastly improved by production. Granted, the X's still have issues with being overly rich, but it's nowhere near as bad as the pre production models.

The fastest 0-60 time was recorded by, I believe, car and driver, and they got as fast as 4.6 seconds. I know that you're trying to show how the X is a better overal car, and it is, but your first post made it sound like you were bashing it because of your english (which you have got to work on bro, no offense.) Either way, I agree that the baseline numbers don't matter as much as the hardware and platform potential, which are phenominal in the X.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Sep 3, 2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
^The X averages around 4.9 0-60, not 5.4 dude. The initial test from motor trend or whoever it was recorded that when they had a pre-production model that had serious misfiring issues with the overly rich condition that was vastly improved by production. Granted, the X's still have issues with being overly rich, but it's nowhere near as bad as the pre production models.

The fastest 0-60 time was recorded by, I believe, car and driver, and they got as fast as 4.6 seconds. I know that you're trying to show how the X is a better overal car, and it is, but your first post made it sound like you were bashing it because of your english (which you have got to work on bro, no offense.) Either way, I agree that the baseline numbers don't matter as much as the hardware and platform potential, which are phenominal in the X.
hm try this way
"
The fact matter is the EvoX is 0-60 5.4 sec... so in EU standards not that shabby"
because im talking about the EU / European Union/ Evo
and said :
"in Australia the EVo IX 0-60 mph is 5.7 sec. vs us spec Evo IX 0-60 4.5 sec."
even i posted the link for 4.5 and the 5.7 sec test for the different Evo's /EU vs US/
as an example the Evo X is actually faster out side in US, then the evo IX.

SO my point is if you go by factory performance numbers with the Evo then you have no idea what is the EVo all about.
I'm not blaming any one here , just i'm saying the rally world is too far from here

Last edited by Robevo RS; Sep 5, 2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
The fastest 0-60 time was recorded by, I believe, car and driver, and they got as fast as 4.6 seconds.
It's funny how people only accepts the good but not the somewhat negative comments. I thought everyone hates Car and Driver because they are so biased, until they see "ooo...the Evo X went 0-60 in 4.6 sec"....now I love C&D. And everything else that C&D says or writes about, they are all BS just because they didn't like the car.

Last edited by white_turbo; Sep 5, 2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 02:55 PM

Hmm, I read the OP without a problem. I knew what he was saying after reading the first bulletin. So, I wouldn't say his English is that bad, sure it could use improvement, but hell, there's a lot of native English speakers that need improvement.

As for the post. I agree with all the points.

Also, ExcessLancer, there's another thread on this site that shows the stock X outperforms the Stock IX. It's some Italian magazine review.. Was a good read.

Edit: Here's the review fwiw https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=366934

Last edited by DigitaLSD; Sep 5, 2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DigitaLSD
Hmm, I read the OP without a problem. I knew what he was saying after reading the first bulletin. So, I wouldn't say his English is that bad, sure it could use improvement, but hell, there's a lot of native English speakers that need improvement.

As for the post. I agree with all the points.

Also, ExcessLancer, there's another thread on this site that shows the stock X outperforms the Stock IX. It's some Italian magazine review.. Was a good read.

Edit: Here's the review fwiw https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=366934
thank you.
I try to learn the language, but it is really hard for me. My native language is so rare, is not even funny. And for me the grammar and so on , is totally up side down compere to my language.

It is no excuse i know. Seems to me who want me to understand they do.
Some times easier to attack for the poor English then prove your point./ Not in this thread , so no offense/
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:26 PM

Robevo RS, I always appreciate your posts. Your rally and road-racing experience always add fresh insights. And I know your English is much, much better than my Hungarian (your native language if my memory is right; please feel free to correct me), since my knowledge of Hungarian is non-existent!
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by billf2
Robevo RS, I always appreciate your posts. Your rally and road-racing experience always add fresh insights. And I know your English is much, much better than my Hungarian (your native language if my memory is right; please feel free to correct me), since my knowledge of Hungarian is non-existent!
thanks. and yes i'm Hungarian.
I just have many times different ideas then others. Some times i'm right some times i dont. Here is the place / EvoM/ easy to correct me if im wrong, And i can learn more.
Many times people tend to be dont like it, when i ask them for proof over my opinion.
I like facts, those are the ones really change my mind
Thanks again.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 02:10 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
I appreciate any well informed and developed opinions and contributions you want to share. If proper English were required on this forum, it would be a pretty barren landscape. Great article find, very interesting technical specs I had to research to understand. I'm amazed at the evo cannibalism. It's not like they took a **** and called it the evo X. Change got me to consider the evo because I disliked the old body style. It's a personal preference, don't hate. There's plenty of people that think I now own one of the ugliest cars on the planet. Fact is it's an amazing piece of machinery that we're only beginning to understand.