Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Steering Wheel Hub Extender

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2016, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, new to evo.net (don't even have an Evo yet but soon) but I was looking over this thread (I'm 6'6 and my 2007 M6 has the same problem of sacrificing comfort/safety for steering position) so I know I will have to move the wheel towards me. after looking at OEM steering wheels on ebay I might have devised a solution.

1. buy a new steering shaft --> chop the steering wheel splined end off
2. buy a quick release hub and quick release
3. weld the cut steering wheel spline to the quick release (part that bolts on to aftermarket wheel)
4. extend wires for horn, awc, airbag, etc...

Anyone think something like this would work?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Did you ever attempt this?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

So looking at the NRG hub extender, what they have is a female spline receiver. You slide it over the spline and put the 17mm nut on They pretty much replicate the receiver end on the oem steering wheel.

Then they bolt on the quick release to the 6 front facing bolt holes. A very simple thing.

You then go on eBay and see all the OEM steering columns going for $75 shipped.

So one could buy a donor column, cut off the tip that includes the spline and thread, then weld it to a circular plate with screw holes on the perimeter matching those on the NRG, and you screw that into the NRG spacer.

You then just bolt the steering wheel into the spline piece you cut off from the donor column.

You'd have to extend some wiring, especially the clock spring, but it seems like such an easy thing to accomplish. I have no idea why a company like NRG didn't just go the extra foot (not a mile, mind you) and make a simple spline extension.

I might be crazy enough to attempt this myself one day. As is, my feet are folded like a pretzel if I want the wheel close to me.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bringing this thread back from the dead... but has anyone tried this?

https://www.spacershop.com/prodotto/...-lancer-evo-x/
Old Mar 28, 2021, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Interesting. That's pretty much my idea of welding a steering shaft spline to a base plate and bolting that to the NRG adapter.

Just haven't gotten around to it. One thing I'd be concerned about is the length of the clock spring wiring, and whether it would reach the wheel this far away.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

So you'd need a donor steering stem, and the NRG quick release adapter, just the base. You cut off the spline end of the donor shaft (the one on the right) and weld it to a round plate. Drill holes in the plate and attach to the NRG adapter with screws, and presto bango, you're done.

Haven't done this yet cause I'm not yet ready to risk damaging my clockspring. Plus this might move the wheel quite a distance, making it hard for anyone else to drive
Old Mar 28, 2021, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

One thing I noticed is that there's like 1 or 2 degrees of play in the NRG adapter on the OEM spline, so the steering wheel would have the same play, which would suck. So maybe there are better adapters out there.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Well, I went ahead and ordered that extension, just because $350 is a small price to pay to fix my biggest issue with the car, aside from the missing 6th gear.

Will report here on how it works out.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:22 AM

My spacer just came in today, pictures attached. As you mentioned the main concern is the clock spring wiring but the piece itself is solid. I'll have to remove the 6 bolts holding in the shaft and use the nut/spacer for the spacer, then rebolt my wheel onto the machined piece.

The following users liked this post:
fafaforza (Mar 29, 2021)
Old Mar 29, 2021, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Nice, how long did the shipping take? Mine will go out tomorrow.

What material is the black part? I hope it's metal, and not some hard plastic.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 12:15 PM

Mine shipped over the weekend but i ordered i think on Thursday, it arrived Monday. It is metal not hard plastic i believe aluminum, it is pretty hefty.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

So I got mine today and already installed it.

Issues: Two of the wires do not reach now. The steering wheel controls one, so no cruise, and the spade one that runs power to the button lights.

Also, the turn signal stalk is a lot farther back, so you really have to reach for it, or take your hand off the wheel. Might take getting used to.

The good: driving position is pretty much perfect now. Mitsu should have spent the extra $20 per car and put in telescoping. Dumb decision not to.

Doing lock to lock turns is somehow easier. Haven't done any fast turns but I did a city turn with crossed hands and my hands don't get blocked between the wheel and knees now, so that's nice.

One downside is that clutch operation is different. I think in the past, I pushed my leg up against the bottom of the wheel to press down on the pedal. Now it's free and clear so I have to use more of the muscle. Even after a short drive I feel a bit sore in the left leg.

In the last pic you can see that I'm a bit big, at 6'2", so finally the steering wheel isn't sitting in my lap. And that's even with running a Recaro Speed S seat, which is much lower than the OEM Recaro or the Lancer seat.

So first impressions are positive. Driving position is much more natural, hands are closer to a 90 degree bend and fall effortlessly on the wheel. I'm not straining to reach, I'm not pretzeling my legs on the pedals to be close to the wheel, just a whole lot better.

Old Apr 7, 2021, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by fafaforza
So I got mine today and already installed it.

Issues: Two of the wires do not reach now. The steering wheel controls one, so no cruise, and the spade one that runs power to the button lights.

Also, the turn signal stalk is a lot farther back, so you really have to reach for it, or take your hand off the wheel. Might take getting used to.

The good: driving position is pretty much perfect now. Mitsu should have spent the extra $20 per car and put in telescoping. Dumb decision not to.

Doing lock to lock turns is somehow easier. Haven't done any fast turns but I did a city turn with crossed hands and my hands don't get blocked between the wheel and knees now, so that's nice.

One downside is that clutch operation is different. I think in the past, I pushed my leg up against the bottom of the wheel to press down on the pedal. Now it's free and clear so I have to use more of the muscle. Even after a short drive I feel a bit sore in the left leg.

In the last pic you can see that I'm a bit big, at 6'2", so finally the steering wheel isn't sitting in my lap. And that's even with running a Recaro Speed S seat, which is much lower than the OEM Recaro or the Lancer seat.

So first impressions are positive. Driving position is much more natural, hands are closer to a 90 degree bend and fall effortlessly on the wheel. I'm not straining to reach, I'm not pretzeling my legs on the pedals to be close to the wheel, just a whole lot better.

Very Nice, in that case it looks like I have to extend some wires before installing the wheel again. Steering wheel stalk I think I can deal with, but it'll make driving more natural.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

Let me know how you extend the wires.

And you can do it after installing the wheel. You'll just have to pop the airbag out.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 08:27 AM

I think the only way would be to cut the connector and extend the wire one by one that's my plan at least.

Quick Reply: Evo X Steering Wheel Hub Extender