Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Aero kit fitment issue -- Let MMNA know about it

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aero kit fitment issue -- Let MMNA know about it

Anyone else with the factory aero kit seeing fitment issues with the passenger side skirt?

Mine seems to have about a 1/4" gap between the skirt and the car, making it look like it's coming off. The driver's side fits snug up against the body. I've seen new cars on the showroom floor with this same problem, so it must be a design/manufacturing issue with that particular part. The dealer completely reinstalled mine, with no change. In my opinion, on a $35k car, this is not acceptable. Not a huge problem, but still unacceptable.

I filed an official complaint with MMNA to get resolution. Maybe, if everyone else with the problem filed a complaint, it would get their attention. If nothing else, if they come up with a fix in the next couple of years, our cars will be covered whether or not under warranty at that time.

Done venting.....thanks for listening.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:27 PM

Yep. Noticed it for the first time last weekend while washing and waxing. I looked at the side skirt on the drivers side and it is nice and snug with no gaps. Passenger side in front of the rear tire has a 1/4 inch or so gap.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

I slammed a cone at about 80mph and cracked mine. Still no sag...just a crack
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

interesting. i just checked mine and same thing, drive side's snug and passenger side has a 1/4" gap. plus the little rubber trim molding is peeling up slightly on both sides
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah i show my dealer they will fix it for me. I just haven't had the time to bring it in.

P.S. Mine was mess up in the show room floor too. =)
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Papi4baby
Yeah i show my dealer they will fix it for me. I just haven't had the time to bring it in.

I see your in MD..what dealer?
Old Sep 26, 2008, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

My driver side is a bit tweaked. Haven't had time to take it in yet. Also has the dreaded oil leak as well.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 03:13 PM

My dealer tried fixing it, but no luck. They showed me the issue. There's a plastic bracket molded into the inside of the side skirt. That bracket clips to the lower body of the car. There's no room for adjustment with this setup --- you can't get that side skirt piece closer to the body than it already is, short of hacking up that plastic bracket. You can see this by pulling back on the side skirt a bit to expose that mounting point.

I would recommend that you let them try to fix it, but if no success, call MMNA. The number for their customer service is: 714-372-6000

They'll assign a case number for you and raise the issue.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 02:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoXCrazy
I see your in MD..what dealer?
I got it in VA, stolhman

Originally Posted by zarl
My dealer tried fixing it, but no luck. They showed me the issue. There's a plastic bracket molded into the inside of the side skirt. That bracket clips to the lower body of the car. There's no room for adjustment with this setup --- you can't get that side skirt piece closer to the body than it already is, short of hacking up that plastic bracket. You can see this by pulling back on the side skirt a bit to expose that mounting point.

I would recommend that you let them try to fix it, but if no success, call MMNA. The number for their customer service is: 714-372-6000

They'll assign a case number for you and raise the issue.
I heard about it, some guy posted this dealer had custom steel or aluminum brakets made to replace the OEM plastic ones. I dont know what they will do, but i will pay a lawyer if i have to for them to fix the problem . I didn't pay almost 40k for a car to be broken and then not being able to fix it. If they can't fix it, i want the money from the aero kit back, since is defective. But thanks for the number i will call if they give me any problems about it.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine seems to be sticking out on the passenger side as well. I'll take a look at the bracket and perhaps I can shave it down to allow more clearance. It does seem to push in a bit but always moves back out after driving. I may just try some trim adhesive at the mounting screws and see if it will hold it tighter to the body better.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 09:20 AM

If they can't fix it, i want the money from the aero kit back, since is defective.
I agree. I'm pursuing this option right now. Fix it, or refund it. I'm giving them one more chance next week -- they are going to replace the part with a new one. But, I'm doubtful that this will make any difference at all. There's supposedly an arbitration process, which would be the next step.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Just take it to the dealer, they will fix it.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

I'm on my 2nd skirt as of this friday! Not to mention Mitsu's not backing the replacement of my zylon medina had put on/I paid for! Since Medina has closed not only did I get screwed on the zylon I also had to refund my $1000 refund check which bounced when they locked their doors! If the skirt continues, I'll press the lemon law, not to mention my syncro's won't stop crunching and I'm picking up a lot of rock chips to the front fascia!

Love the car, but not the slack Mitsubishi neglects to pick up!
Old Sep 29, 2008, 03:03 PM

Angry

mine both look like ****. Ive had them fixed twice now and they still look like garbage. Im soo pisssed. What can i do?
Old Sep 29, 2008, 03:21 PM

I haven't got mine fixed yet, not that much a problem to me. What really aggrevates me is the rubber piece on the front lip. real bad.

Quick Reply: Aero kit fitment issue -- Let MMNA know about it