Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

My brembos are F***D UP help!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo-L
Take it to the dealer, see if you can convince them to fix it. Otherwise, it will need to be repainted to look as good as new again.

Looks to me like you caught something in between the rim and brake like others have mentioned.
in the case of something getting stuck between my rims and brakes, i highly doubt that the dealership will do anything about it. My brakes seems to be working fine so im not too concerned.. just ugly to look at. I prolly will just paint and re apply sticker...

anyone know exact color spray to get and where to get brembo sticker?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChimpEvOX
in the case of something getting stuck between my rims and brakes, i highly doubt that the dealership will do anything about it. My brakes seems to be working fine so im not too concerned.. just ugly to look at. I prolly will just paint and re apply sticker...

anyone know exact color spray to get and where to get brembo sticker?
I don't know the shade of red, but here's where you can go for stickers:

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkw...romZR40QQ_mdoZ
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

That really does look like something got stuck in there.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

get half inch spacers
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

check the back of your spokes to see if they are scraped as well. This will tell you whether it came from the wheels, or if something got lodged between at some point in time.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Silver06evo9mr
put ur stock suspension back on. see if it still does it. if it does go back to dealer. they will cover it. maybe ur allignment is badly off
suspension has nothing to do with scratched brake calipers,
and the whell is ok cuz its stock,,and there is clearence between the caliper and the wheel.

i think on 99% that something like a small rock or i really dont know came between and it scratched.
should be no problem just visual.if its braking good,with no problems than ist ok,but better make sure and check it out at some dealer.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

From what I've gathered, I'm going to assume that you haven't even taken the wheel off of the car yet... that would have been the first thing you should have done. That way, you can investigate the back side of the wheel and checked to make sure that your brake caliper is torqued down correctly. Please tell me that I'm wrong. How long after you lowered the car did this happen? Mechanics can be real douche bags sometimes... that's why I don't trust many shops to touch my car... that's why I've invested in a lot of money into quality tools so that I can do most any job myslef with the help of a big dirty service manual by my side.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

By the looks of it to me... I don't think it was a rock. The scuff marks on the caliper seem to indicate that the caliper came in contact with a flat surface (like your wheel) and not an irregular rocky surface that would left more of a linear gouge that followed the radius of where it was lodged in the wheel... and I would think that the rock would have been knocked out pretty quickly and left a pretty ugly gouge in the leading edge of the caliper.

My bet is that the caliper isn't torqued down... it may have the bolts holding it in place finger tight, but the mechanic probably compressed the inner pad of the caliper to get the caliper on the brake rotor.... then forgot to torque the caliper bolts down... then put the wheel on which then rubbed against the caliper a bit.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mmelmann
By the looks of it to me... I don't think it was a rock. The scuff marks on the caliper seem to indicate that the caliper came in contact with a flat surface (like your wheel) and not an irregular rocky surface that would left more of a linear gouge that followed the radius of where it was lodged in the wheel... and I would think that the rock would have been knocked out pretty quickly and left a pretty ugly gouge in the leading edge of the caliper.

My bet is that the caliper isn't torqued down... it may have the bolts holding it in place finger tight, but the mechanic probably compressed the inner pad of the caliper to get the caliper on the brake rotor.... then forgot to torque the caliper bolts down... then put the wheel on which then rubbed against the caliper a bit.
yes ,could be,,or when they lowered your car they had to put down the wheels and when they put them back ,,maybe he didnt hold it good and it falled down(almost)when he was putting the wheel back and scratched it..and you didnt notice that at the time,,,.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wongck
check the back of your spokes to see if they are scraped as well. This will tell you whether it came from the wheels, or if something got lodged between at some point in time.
Same thing I was thinking. If there was no damage to the rim, then it should not have been caused by the rim scraping the caliper