Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Cant be beat Phantom MR please help.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2008, 12:57 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smoke4
i just traded a black Laner GTS 08. The day we brought it home, it had swirl marks on the hood. It takes NATURAL light to show the marks. Make sure it is a sunny day with it glaring off the hood real good! One of the biggest reasons we traded it in was because of the horrible paint right off the bat. Ive since learned the evos paint isnt any better. So there ya go, mitsubishi paint in my experience chips, scratches, swirls, and dings much easier than any ford pontiac or chevy ive owned. So black will be much worse on that MR! I can almost promise.
I picked the silver on our GSR, you can still barely see the swirl marks but other than white it hides swirls the best, and stays cleaner looking longer!
That's not entirely true. The problem with natural light is that you can't position it (unless you can move the sun). Halogen lighting will show swirls up well. I have a free standing dual halogen light that I use when polishing; it costs something like $50 and is easy to move around. Invest in a PC orbital buffer and some good polish and away you go.

Mitsu paint really is quite poor but, with some effort, it can be made to look good. In fact, I miss old Blacky .

Old Nov 5, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDW1479
Just protect the paint by installing clear bras. I installed clear bras on the entire front bumper, half the hood, mirrors, rear door area (rock chip area from front wheels), and the inside of the door handles (to keep the wifes finger nails from scratching it). Yes you will probably have to spend more time and money on keeping the Phantom Black lookin good, but in the end, it will all be worth it.
ditto! i can vouch for this. I had it done by the same shop that did my tints and they did a great job. I got the clear bra on right before taking a trip down to my alma mater to visit my brother for family weekend and im sooooooooo glad i got it done (even though I'm broke now ). No rock chips and bug cleanup was a breeze. I did however get a rock chip in my windshield that had to be fixed (smaller than a quarter) so it won't spread/spider during the winter.

My car is unfortunately not garaged so it stays completely clean for about an hour or so. any condensation from overnight dries and then it collects dust. It is some very beautiful paint when it's clean though, especially in direct sunlight.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

I got a Phantom GSR and i love the color. Yes, it's a pain in the *** to keep clean but it just looks mean and doesn't stand out as much as the other colors. And yes, my car is a month old, 2 hand washes and there are some swirls (had them since day 1).
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:13 PM

its the end of the year. do your research. 38k is way too much. and thats not even otd. I know someone who picked up a MR for 34K without nav otd. be patient, look for invoice prices on the net, and bring it in and say only 2k above invoice. car sales is real bad, any sale at invoice or a lil above dealers make profit. but black on any car will be hard to take care of. 3m that bad boy if you do get it
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

If you can learn how to detail a car properly black can be an awesome color to own! I'm a detailer and love doing black cars. Nothing like a freshly detailed black car!

UFO the car looks great and good advice. A cheap dual action polisher like the Porter Cable 7343 or the new Meguiars G110 is a great purchase. Also check out detailersdomain.com. They are a dealer here on the forum and you get 10% off by using the promo code "evom" at check out.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 03:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 415EVOX
its the end of the year. do your research. 38k is way too much. and thats not even otd. I know someone who picked up a MR for 34K without nav otd. be patient, look for invoice prices on the net, and bring it in and say only 2k above invoice. car sales is real bad, any sale at invoice or a lil above dealers make profit. but black on any car will be hard to take care of. 3m that bad boy if you do get it
I wouldn't say it's a terrible deal. Actually, thats a pretty good deal on an MR.
You know the MSRP for those options are $44k ? Invoice is 41k, so 38k is a pretty decent deal. 3k-3.5k is pretty good. You might be able to haggle a bit more, or some dealership extras like free oil changes or something, but 38k is not a bad deal on a 44k sticker.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a great price on that car.
I have the black and i looks sharp. The paint gives it like a redish or grey tint depending on the light.
I swore off black cars 8 years ago. I like the look of the black on the MR, changed my mind.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spooled_u
I wouldn't say it's a terrible deal. Actually, thats a pretty good deal on an MR.
You know the MSRP for those options are $44k ? Invoice is 41k, so 38k is a pretty decent deal. 3k-3.5k is pretty good. You might be able to haggle a bit more, or some dealership extras like free oil changes or something, but 38k is not a bad deal on a 44k sticker.
I agree. If you want an EVO, I think it is time.