Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Cant be beat Phantom MR please help.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2008, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant be beat Phantom MR please help.

Hello,

Well some of you might be aware already of the situation I was in at Rockville. After taking someones suggestion I called another Mitsu dealer that happens to have 5 MR's fully loaded. 1 silver the rest black. Now I owned a 2005 Mustang GT that was black and swore I would never buy a black car again. Swirl Marks were miserable. However someone told me ot was due to the clear coat on Mustangs being really soft. Look at this offer.

Evo X MR
Technology Package
Navigation
Aero Kit
Interior Sports package.

$38,000 Without Tax or Tags.

He said the only reason why he can do that is because they have way to many Blacks in stock and he needs to move some. Now is the Evo X black easier to handle than most cars in terms of paint? At that price Im almost willing to take a chance.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rasguedo
Hello,

Well some of you might be aware already of the situation I was in at Rockville. After taking someones suggestion I called another Mitsu dealer that happens to have 5 MR's fully loaded. 1 silver the rest black. Now I owned a 2005 Mustang GT that was black and swore I would never buy a black car again. Swirl Marks were miserable. However someone told me ot was due to the clear coat on Mustangs being really soft. Look at this offer.

Evo X MR
Technology Package
Navigation
Aero Kit
Interior Sports package.

He said the only reason why he can do that is because they have way to many Blacks in stock and he needs to move some. Now is the Evo X black easier to handle than most cars in terms of paint? At that price Im almost willing to take a chance.
Well, I have a 2008 Eclipse GT that is black. It's a biatch to keep clean, though. And little imperfections like rock chips are more pronounced and visible. But that seems like a really good price, especially if you can get 0%. Black looks mean but it does have its drawbacks. Ultimately, you have to choose between a high-maintenance color and $1-2K in price savings.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Just protect the paint by installing clear bras. I installed clear bras on the entire front bumper, half the hood, mirrors, rear door area (rock chip area from front wheels), and the inside of the door handles (to keep the wifes finger nails from scratching it). Yes you will probably have to spend more time and money on keeping the Phantom Black lookin good, but in the end, it will all be worth it.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i think that is an AMAZING deal. this is my first black and what i try to do is wash it myself and not go to a carwash.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Black regardless of make and model will be tough to keep clean that is a given. Swirl marks are usually there form the start, and I guess you can blame the dealerships detail crew for that.

That is a good price though.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rasguedo
Hello,

Evo X MR
Technology Package
Navigation
Aero Kit
Interior Sports package.

AMAZING DEAL, I did jump on it if i would you! Brand new mlies under 30 or little miles on it ???

Back to the topic, New PB isn't as bad as the old TB. I used to have a TB Evo 8 and by comparing both of them, the new PB is much better! And HELLA BETTER!

Evoegg
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:26 AM

Yeah another thing I noticed was the flake and the fact that it isnt a deep dark black like my old GT. I am hoping that these two factors will considerably help the illusion that there arent swirl marks since inevitably there will end up being some. Another factor is that it is incredibly hard to find any of the MR's base. All of the dealerships I have called seem to at least come with the Nav package. With an east coast search very little MR's came up. Almost all of them had high priced add-ons.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:36 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Tarmac Black had flake in it too (blue/purple). Swirl marks will show up horribly on any black if they exist. Black looks amazing when clean but is super high maintenance. I would wash & wax my old car and come out an hour later to find little bits of dust all over it, even when parked in the garage.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

swirm marks are a result of the paint cleaning process. There are a number of good products out there that when used properly (and that is the key) will remove / reduce most of the swirls.

Check this site out:
http://www.properautocare.com/
I would highly recommend the porter cable polisher and menzerna car care kit. You only need to do the full blown claybar, polish, seal, wax about once a year then just a proper wash with a good microfiber towel every month or so.

BTW, sounds like a great deal. I paid 32,500 for my gsr with sss so to get the tech package and aerokit plus it being an MR... sounds like a hell of a deal me.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:40 AM
Account Disabled

did you go to Jerrys like i suggested in your other thread?
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Did not know if you knew there is a specific thread to discuss EVO X pricing:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=377669
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:16 AM

what dealership is this??cause i might be interested in that silver MR

ps: if your looking for a PB base (without navi) go to rockville mitsu cause their the only ones ive seen in maryland that have a base MR in stock (their asking for like 39k sticker pirce too )
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:20 AM
Former Sponsor

it is still a black car, you really have to stay on top of it to keep the paint looking good
Old Nov 5, 2008, 12:10 PM

i just traded a black Laner GTS 08. The day we brought it home, it had swirl marks on the hood. It takes NATURAL light to show the marks. Make sure it is a sunny day with it glaring off the hood real good! One of the biggest reasons we traded it in was because of the horrible paint right off the bat. Ive since learned the evos paint isnt any better. So there ya go, mitsubishi paint in my experience chips, scratches, swirls, and dings much easier than any ford pontiac or chevy ive owned. So black will be much worse on that MR! I can almost promise.
I picked the silver on our GSR, you can still barely see the swirl marks but other than white it hides swirls the best, and stays cleaner looking longer!
Old Nov 5, 2008, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

The PB is actually not the deep, pure black as mentioned above but has gold flake in there so in full sunlight it actually looks brownish. In shade or afternoon sun it looks like a shiny flat black. I have always had black cars and did not care for PB but it has grown on me; unique and interesting, in short. I see no swirl marks or any imperfections in this paint and I have gone every inch of the exterior. PB, like pure black, will look better than any other color IMO WHEN IT IS CLEAN. But it does not take much to start looking dirty. A pure white car holds up the best to every day use but you can bust your butt waxing it and it looks not much different when it is dirty. So the decision is yours: Do you want minimum maintenance? If so, get the white or any of the silver X. However, nothing looks better than a waxed black car.

Later, Ken

Quick Reply: Cant be beat Phantom MR please help.