Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Bored of truck, get an X??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bored of truck, get an X??

Well real quick here is my issue. I have a 2008 pretty much fully loaded crew cab silverado. I bought it a couple months ago. I had a 2008 Lancer GTS before that but it kept giving me problems so I got fed up with it and traded it in. I got the truck and love it. It's cool and all but its boring! I'm 19 turning 20 and miss the fun factor of driving. If I could go back a few years ago when I first started driving though, honestly, I would have kept an old beater I had and saved all that money I've spent on new car payments and bought a X now cash or at least put 20k down. But in a way right now. I'm done with that new exciting car feeling stuff. I make okay money right now so I guess affording it isn't so hard. Well the main things I have to deal with rite now are these, My company has been affected my the economy pretty bad. We had alot of lay offs already and I'm kind of worried of it happening to me but in a way also, were my job security is pretty good if that makes sense? Well, Should I trade my truck in for an X and live at home and chill with it until I pay it off??? Or should I keep my truck pay it off??? OORRRR This is kind of what I would really like to do though, I have gotten many offers from many people to purchase my truck or take over payments etc, so I can sell my truck drive a old beater I have and ave for around 6months or so months and buy a house or condo??? Thats something I have really been looking into also.Morgages are really cheap and houses are bound to go up in value 5-10 years from now. If I buy a X, it will decrease in value(along with mostly any other car or truck) or If I buy a house/condo that will go up in value later on?? I'm thinking of going to go look at some X's this weekend but I don't know what I want. I know I am really bored of my truck though What do you guys think?? Will the X solve my problem?? And is it worth it??
Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
If people are offering you good money for the truck, sell it! Then buy a cheap, but fun car.

It's a buyers market out there, even for used cars. If you're even remotely worried about job security, don't even think about buying something high dollar.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow!

I'm not a licensed counselor, but here goes.
1. Unload the truck the best way you can.
2. Buy a nice used EVO VIII - my favorite year!
3. Start a savings plan to buy that house or condo when the market begins to turn around.

Food for thought:
Are you doing everything you can to be needed at work?
Do you have a 401K at work? Are you contributing the max?
Do you have zero credit card debt?

Since I'm old enough to be your granddad, I'll give you a little secret that took me many years to understand and appreciate: The key to financial independence is simply learning to live below your means. Sounds trite and simplistic, but if everyone adhered to it, our country would not be in the financial mess we are in right now.

Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I do everything I can at my job and I do it well. I've with the company 3 years. I do have a 401k. I contribute the 4% but our max is 5% i think. No debt. I just put money aside every month to pay school upfront instead of getting a load like I did my first year of college so I haven't used student load money in over two years. I wouldn't mind getting an used evo but how much do they run for? If i buy a used car I'm going to pay it cash when I sell the truck. But If I get the Evo X then I wll just continue payments for 5 more years. But I will love driving again lol
Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:34 PM

X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X XX X X X X X X XX X X X X X X X X X X X X EVO. 600 payments 200 insurance you win? check craiglist for a evos theres.
get a loan from your bank and buy the cheapest you can find to avoid long high payments.

example: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/955438379.html

If you want a EVO and want to save tons of money.Get an evo thats already like this example. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/959229026.html
Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:44 PM

If you can afford then get them, why not?
Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah affording it isn't the problem really thats why I want one but if I don't get an X I can get a house or condo? I don't know what to choose?
Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by xhooniex83
If you can afford then get them, why not?
It's called saving for the future. If you take a basic economics class, you'll see very quickly that the sooner you start saving, you'll have way more money later in life.

A super fast car doesn't make a 'fun' car. I have a few friends that have driven the GTR on the street and track. They say it's actually quite boring on the street because it's just so easy to go fast and that the limits are so high, you can't reach them on the street.

Honestly, one of the most fun cars I've ever driven was a '91 Miata from Rent-a-Wreck.

IMO, max out what your employer matches on your 401k. It's free money.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 09:40 PM

Like mentioned earlier...if you are worried about job security, don't buy something high dollar. The last thing you want is to loose your job, can't make your payments, then sink you credit. That will then push your house/condo purchase off by several years.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

buy a 03 evo for16K or buy a salvaged evo for 12K or less... i just recently was laid off last week and it sucks, its around the holidays and its already har enough to find a job! I am 19 myself and made good money as an electrician, but i filled for unemployment for now until i can find a job. If i were you i would sell the truck and get a cheaper evo, or a srt 4 or something along those lines..... just my $.02, and i hope you dont lose your job, it sucks!
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ sucks man! sorry to hear that. We had like 248 employees this summer and were down to 140. Its crazy. I lost alot of friends there that I've been working with for years. I'm hoping we don't lose any more. Especially around the holidays. so sorry to hear that. They took away my christmas bonus to yesterday! I was looking forward to it. I was so pissed. I was hoping to use it for the down payment if I got the X or just buy christmas gifts with it.

I was looking for used x's but theyre kinda alot still and evo IX's still hold their value pretty good. So I dunno. I'm confused. I don't want to go look at the x's and get all excited and buy it like I did with the truck lol
Old Dec 20, 2008, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

listen, get rid of the truck, make sure your OUT OF DEBT, find a cheap used car (hondas are great, cheap and reliable) and look for a house. The evo is a TOY not a necessity, the house WILL be a necessity.

After you pick up a house and realize you can comfortably afford an evo, then get one, but i'll warn ya, owning a house cost quiet a bit more than that monthly payment.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Take what ever you just paid for that truck and subtract about $15k and thats what it is worth right now. Not a good time to try and trade a Chevy/GM/Ford/Chrysler product right now, espicially a new one.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 08:57 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mmjsport
Well real quick here is my issue. I have a 2008 pretty much fully loaded crew cab silverado. I bought it a couple months ago. I had a 2008 Lancer GTS before that but it kept giving me problems so I got fed up with it and traded it in. I got the truck and love it. It's cool and all but its boring! I'm 19 turning 20 and miss the fun factor of driving. If I could go back a few years ago when I first started driving though, honestly, I would have kept an old beater I had and saved all that money I've spent on new car payments and bought a X now cash or at least put 20k down. But in a way right now. I'm done with that new exciting car feeling stuff. I make okay money right now so I guess affording it isn't so hard. Well the main things I have to deal with rite now are these, My company has been affected my the economy pretty bad. We had alot of lay offs already and I'm kind of worried of it happening to me but in a way also, were my job security is pretty good if that makes sense? Well, Should I trade my truck in for an X and live at home and chill with it until I pay it off??? Or should I keep my truck pay it off??? OORRRR This is kind of what I would really like to do though, I have gotten many offers from many people to purchase my truck or take over payments etc, so I can sell my truck drive a old beater I have and ave for around 6months or so months and buy a house or condo??? Thats something I have really been looking into also.Morgages are really cheap and houses are bound to go up in value 5-10 years from now. If I buy a X, it will decrease in value(along with mostly any other car or truck) or If I buy a house/condo that will go up in value later on?? I'm thinking of going to go look at some X's this weekend but I don't know what I want. I know I am really bored of my truck though What do you guys think?? Will the X solve my problem?? And is it worth it??
Your post piqued my curiosity, so I took a quick look at your other threads. Judging by what you've written, the insurance on an Evo will run you ~$500/month due to a previous accident. You've barely had the truck for 2 months after a trade of a 2008 Lancer, you live at home, and you just turned 20. At the risk of sounding rude, are you fruvcking nuts? You've cornered yourself into a huge debt, and now you're contemplating taking on even more debt with even higher costs because you're "bored?" Do yourself a favor and see a financial counselor who may be able to help you get your ducks in a row. Posting on an Internet forum won't help, including what I've written. Good luck.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Your post piqued my curiosity, so I took a quick look at your other threads. Judging by what you've written, the insurance on an Evo will run you ~$500/month due to a previous accident. You've barely had the truck for 2 months after a trade of a 2008 Lancer, you live at home, and you just turned 20. At the risk of sounding rude, are you fruvcking nuts? You've cornered yourself into a huge debt, and now you're contemplating taking on even more debt with even higher costs because you're "bored?" Do yourself a favor and see a financial counselor who may be able to help you get your ducks in a row. Posting on an Internet forum won't help, including what I've written. Good luck.
Debt?? lol The only payments I have are my 400 dollar payments a month for my truck lol oh and a couple of hundred I put aside a month for my school and gas. I guess you can say debt if you mean I owe 24k on the truck then yeah but thats it. I have have a few thousand in the bank. And yeah the insurance was going to be crazy high like you said. But sam from south coast gave me some all state agent who quoted me at 200 a month on an evo x. If i were to stay on my parents policy then its 150. I know what you mean by getting my finicial stuff straight but I'm not in any sort of hole what so ever? lol I make okay money, nothing huge (around 45k a year+small bonuses) but dude, no finicial struggle here lol I manage my money well.

Oh and thanks for checking my previous posts and stuff(not in a smart *** way) lol shows you care lol, I'm also on chevroletforum.com and my sn is the same as here if you want to check my posts there. Some there will explain why I live at home.( for you guys who don't want to check, I'm paying my parents bills rite now to help out since my mom was in an work accident and lost her walking ability :/ she just got surgery so I'm doing my best to help my family out)

Quick Reply: Bored of truck, get an X??