Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Jacking points when using a floorjack

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Gooseman396
Ah sorry I have not seen it yet.....Thanks for the clarification.
No problem! If you're afraid of scratches you can put a hockey puck on your jack and that will fit up against the rear diff jacking point perfectly.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah it sucks we have to take the plastic off to jack up the front! i know some people just cut a hole there so they dont have to take the plastic off...
Old Sep 27, 2010, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

someone should post a pic, it would help alot
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Theres a picture floating around both here and on the other forum thats from the Mitsu manual that shows the points on the car.

I've personally used both points multiple times (with hockey puck) and its perfectly fine. The only things i would note:

1 - You'll need a low profile jack for the back point. Its pretty far forward, and hard to get to if you've already jacked up the front.

2 - Hockey puck is the best mod evar! lol
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eeboh
someone should post a pic, it would help alot
I have a pic, I'll post it when I find it.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:13 PM

I hate jacking up my car with the floor jack, but I pick the same spot which is the grooved area.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by stokEd
I have a pic, I'll post it when I find it.
Any pic's?

I tried jacking the car up last weekend. It seems that inboard underside of the aero side skirts cover the two grooves where you are suposed to be jacking it up.

Anyone have sucess jacking up an aero side skirt evo not using the seams? I am wanting to throw my car on jack stands for a bit.

Thanks
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Payden
Any pic's?

I tried jacking the car up last weekend. It seems that inboard underside of the aero side skirts cover the two grooves where you are suposed to be jacking it up.

Anyone have sucess jacking up an aero side skirt evo not using the seams? I am wanting to throw my car on jack stands for a bit.

Thanks
I'm not worried about the seam rusting -- I end up lifting the car at least once a month on average. I jack up one side at a time, just foward of the front door rear seam (about 8-10 inches foward) and get both R and F tires off the ground. I use jack stands and then lower floor jack and repeat on the other side. I've left mine up on four jack stands for a period of days before while having tire/wheel work delegated to my wife for the errand.

I have a little flatter spot on the seam where I am more-or-less constantly raising my car up. If I start seeing rust, I can always hit it with Rustoleum or primer.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

When I used the lift points on the sides, I went very slow and did not hear any paint cracking as I thought I might. I would say if you go slow and smooth you may be able to minimize the cracking and scratching. Just my 2 cents.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:50 AM

+1 on the hockey puck...worked perfectly!!

I also folded up a rags and put them on top of the jack stands. This way you avoid metal-to-metal contact between the seam and the top of the jackstand. And it gives a little cushion.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:36 AM

For that designated front jack point shown on the service manual, it looks like we have to take off the plastic undercover to reach that point. Howerver, as I looked down there last night, it seemed like there was a hollowed place on the undercover, so I think maybe we don't have to take it off if we wanna lift it up from there. Have anyone tried that?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:21 PM

I'm interested in this as well. Planning to do an exhaust install soon but still unsure of how to jack up my car... I think I'll do ramps for the rear and then jack stands for the front...
I don't want to break anything... I might just take into a shop to have them install it for me.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yoshe200
I'm interested in this as well. Planning to do an exhaust install soon but still unsure of how to jack up my car... I think I'll do ramps for the rear and then jack stands for the front...
I don't want to break anything... I might just take into a shop to have them install it for me.

For a catback, just lift the rear by using the rear diff for a lifting point, that will allow you to have enough room to access the bolts. You can even reach the front bolts of the test pipe/cat this way but it gets a little tight. It will be easier to put it on all 4 jack stands for this.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by RevLimiter
For a catback, just lift the rear by using the rear diff for a lifting point, that will allow you to have enough room to access the bolts. You can even reach the front bolts of the test pipe/cat this way but it gets a little tight. It will be easier to put it on all 4 jack stands for this.
good to know! definitely will try that!
Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

If you need help Im in Joliet and Ive done it a dozen times already.

Quick Reply: Jacking points when using a floorjack