Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Jacking points when using a floorjack

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2009, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jacking points when using a floorjack

Ok , so I used the search function regarding this topic I posted. Came up somewhat empty handed..
Anyhow, when using floor jacks to jack up the X. Do we just place them on the corner pinches? The 4 corner pinches shown on the owners manual? Or, is there a more solid,flat place to put them? The jacks that I have. Have the thin rubber cushion on them.. Thanks a bunch..

WM
Old Jan 14, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

I can't believe the 4 corner pinches on the EVO X is crappier than the IX - lol.

For the rear jack point, it's the diff..
For the front, there should be a front cross brace like the EVO IX (where the tow hook is).
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I use the seam on the sides and the rear diff in the rear when needed.

There's not a really good place in the front, so go at it from the sides (there is a cross brace, but it's way under there and I wouldn't want to put a jack on it when a nice accessible seam is right there).
Old Jan 14, 2009, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Unfortunately, jacking up the front is a two-step process even with the floor jack. Start with one jacking point behind a front wheel, insert jack stand, and the move over to the other side. When positioning the jack, give yourself enough room to insert the jack stand into place.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

the seam makes cracking noises when its jacked up yes?
Old Jan 15, 2009, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had mine jacked up 3-4 times now and I've never heard any cracking noises.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I place the round jack pad in and around the area of the two grooves on the side rail location where the factory jack is to be positioned.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Shabarivas
the seam makes cracking noises when its jacked up yes?
The seam is about 5-6 inches in from the side of the car, don't jack it up under the side skirts.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

I've used the seams on both my 8 and my X. The "cracking" is just the paint on the seams themselves. If you're using the seams just to get the car in the air to insert a jack stand you'll be fine. I just wouldn't recommend leaving the weight of the car on the seams themselves.

Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

On my dsm I use the seams because I don't care but on a 30k car I wouldn't use the seams at all, the cracking is the paint coming off then exposing bare metal to the elements and then rust stars. If I had a better jack I would jack up the front cross member then put jack stands under the control arms.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Another member posted his install pics for T1R exhaust. In some of the pics you can clearly see where he chose to jack up the car. Maybe that will help you out.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wongck
Another member posted his install pics for T1R exhaust. In some of the pics you can clearly see where he chose to jack up the car. Maybe that will help you out.
So in these pictures I see that he used the recommended "tab" locations in the seam by each wheel for his jack stands but did he jack up one side at a time using the seam in the middle of the car (between the front and rear tire)? The Service manual shows a jacking point in the front and rear, not on the side. I am just curious if doing it on each side is appropriate and safe. Comments?
Old Jan 15, 2009, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
personally if needed to i would just use ramps. i have seen what jacking up the car on their seams do to the exposed metal especially if you are in a state where they use salt on the streets.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by beetle_orange
personally if needed to i would just use ramps. i have seen what jacking up the car on their seams do to the exposed metal especially if you are in a state where they use salt on the streets.
I have a set of Rhino ramps, and they don't clear the front end. You'll need some pretty long ramps to use them on the X without scraping.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:42 PM
hlm
Evolving Member

mmmm, i love my hoist!!! Still need to jack it up a lil bit to get it on there though. so i jack on the front tow hook and the rear diff..

Quick Reply: Jacking points when using a floorjack