Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Took a Jab @ 9k RPMS on my X

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you're fine, it doesn't sound like you bent a valve since the car ran fine afterwords. People up the rev range on Evos all the time assuming they upgrade the valve springs and retainers since not doing so you would most likely bend a valve.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ZWingerRyRy
Lol im dead serious, Shift from 4th to 3rd accident tried to hit 4th again, then i pushed down and it blocked 4th off and it went right into 2nd. I have underhood shifter bushings they tend to have a weird grab to 2nd, those bushing did the same with my 8, 2nd gear like would go into it gear itself if i barely pushed it down from 1st gear.
I'm sorry but if you are going from 4th to 5th at 70 miles an hour an accidently go into 3rd AND the rpms managed to pop up over 7k... You need to work on your "normal driving" shifting. in order for your rpms to jump that high.. the clutch had to of fully engaged, which as SOON as the cluth started engaging in 3rd, you would have lurched forward in your seat. My honest opinion is you are letting the clutch out WAY to quickly under normal driving.

This is just my opinion and not the word of god. I've missed the 4th to 5th going highway speeds, but rpms BARELY crossed 5k. The engine braking from that kind of a mistake is too much to miss.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stockgts09
if theres no rough idle occured after that, then it will be fine. it will not deform the journal that easy. 4b11 is not that weak than you think. Cam springs are the ones to worry about but can be notice by a rough idling. its nice to do a compression test for precautionary measures.

btw, the rev limiter didn't work? no fuel cut felt while doing that?
Rev limiter only works during acceleration, dropping into the wrong gear forces physics to take over.

For example ( READ : I don't know the proper math here )

If 5th gear at 70mph is 3500 rpm and the car ends up in 2nd gear, physics of the wheels spinning dictate that the tranny will spin, which inturn spins the motor to the proper rpms, in this case >9000rpms. Mechanical parts are very unforgiving when mistakes are made, they have to abide by very strict rules :P

Last edited by Gexxer; Mar 1, 2009 at 11:03 PM. Reason: I'm tired, grammer not my fault :P
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

Revved my S2000 to 10,600 and never had a problem. Most likely the luckiest guy ever.

I think your gonna be just fine. Lesson learned.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:25 PM

I have to agree what gexxer said. The rev limit won't activate once you misshift down a gear when your rpm is pretty high up and it just spikes over. But as long as you didn't gas it and it was a tad second I think you'll be alright. I did that with my Del Sol misshifting 3rd to 2nd hitting 9500 rpm a long time back and no problem after I did that. The X motors are ways stronger then a Honda motor so I'm pretty sure your motor will be alright.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

How are you holding your shift knob? You were most likely cupping it around the right side which caused your problems. Don't do that.

Change your oil and look for any metal. Then do a compression and leakdown test.

You could've bent a valve.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Man the valve train was noisy stock, ima be paranoid thinking im hearing something wrong. If anyone can post a video what theres sounds like w/ cover off at idle and stock internals so i can compare hopefully.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

I just had two bad tappet valves replaced last week. I can tell you... it will be PAINFULLY obvious if there is a problem. Mine wasn't caused from over revving or from abuse. My problem was just two bad parts. But it was so loud, we joked about me driving a disel powered evo.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah all i hear is the normal valve train and those damn *** loud injectors. I stuck my ear right upto the valve cover and i mean i can hear stuff, but i might just be getting paranoid and thinking the normal sound of the engine working is bad. If these engines werent so damn loud it be much easier to tap into something sounding wrong, but since it sounds no different then before, there all in harmony not one sound is louder then the other. I cant hear anything over the sound of the engine that would be noticable, i gave it some light revs, didnt hear a chainsaw or banging or something knocking. I put my hand on the valve cant feel any vibrations or tapping that i can feel of. No oil leaks.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

I did a compression test i was 150psi dead-on straight across with 7 rotations was 15 degrees outside.

Last edited by ZWingerRyRy; Mar 2, 2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Looks like my plugs took a beating though
Old Mar 2, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZWingerRyRy
Well i made the mistake today of shifting from 4th to 5th missed went into 3rd freaked out instantly pushed the clutch in and it reved a bit passed 7k then even worse tried going back to 4th right away and some luck i have , my shifter popped itself into 2nd and it flew past 8k i pushed the clutch in instantly but i think even though i got the clutch in time i didnt have clear sight but looked like it took a jab at 9k and the car screamed bloody hell, No throttle when fix shifting though. Tuned at 318/327. Nothin seems wrong, car runs fine, no abnormal noises, vac didnt change, temps didnt jump at all. It was about 15 degrees out. Babied it the way home, let it idle for awhile, then shut it off. Then went upstairs and prayed for forgiveness.. I tried not making the mistakes i did in my 8 as i did this once in my 8 also, but my 8 had no problems after and i put another 20k after that on the 8 without problems, but somehow i made that mistake with my 10, but i had a feeling it would happen one day and it did. I dont abuse it at all, never tracked, only 2 steped once on stock tune. Rarely run it to 7k unless i need to smoke somone, or at a dyno only 4200 miles. Whats my verdict?
doesn't sound too bad. i think it'll be ok but you should check your oil like someone on here said.

btw, nice power! i saw you at rs on the day you got it tuned. u left and then i got dyno'd...just 2 runs though
Old Mar 2, 2009, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gexxer
i'm sorry but if you are going from 4th to 5th at 70 miles an hour an accidently go into 3rd and the rpms managed to pop up over 7k... You need to work on your "normal driving" shifting. In order for your rpms to jump that high.. The clutch had to of fully engaged, which as soon as the cluth started engaging in 3rd, you would have lurched forward in your seat. My honest opinion is you are letting the clutch out way to quickly under normal driving.

This is just my opinion and not the word of god. I've missed the 4th to 5th going highway speeds, but rpms barely crossed 5k. The engine braking from that kind of a mistake is too much to miss.
+1
Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Yes it wasnt bad for a tbe and fmic with a drop in filter. I wanna get as much out of that stock turbo as i can. Hoping for atmost 330-340 once i get in this uicp and a smoothed out turbo inlet, but the stock turbo is pretty maxed out already.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Well today ends with compression test, no time to change oil yet though. Il hit that up tmr. But so far engine is very healthy 150psi dead-on all 4 cylinders, no loud tapping or knocking, idle is constant and same as before, vac is same, no oil leaks anywhere, didnt sound like a chainsaw when reving smooth and nothing out of the ordinary. Only thing is my spark plugs are pretty toasted , but that is prob just from the stock tune w/catback. Maybe i dodged the bullet once again. Go Go 4b11T

Quick Reply: Took a Jab @ 9k RPMS on my X