Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Hydroplaned Bad outcome

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2009, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hcope316
it could have been worse
...a LOT worse
Old Mar 8, 2009, 01:38 PM

sorry to hear, but at least you were not hurt.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

No offense or anything.

But I don't think you should be blaming hydroplaning.

From what you have said it doesn't sound like hydroplaning at all. Hydroplaing is cause by speed combined with large pooling of water on the road. When hydroplaning a motor vehicle will travel in a straight line and will only change direction due to gravities effect on the vehicle in relation to the camber of the road surface.

In fact, it actually sounds like the coefficient of friction between the road surface and your tires (due to the rain) was low, and the car entered into a slide.

Basically, the cause of the crash sounds like you attempted to negotiate the turn at a speed too great for the road conditions. Making the same turn at a lower speed in the same conditions would have resulted in a far different outcome.

But enough of that. I'm sorry for you mate. I'm in the process of getting a new white EVO X and would hate for that to happen to me.

Good luck.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

The yokohama A13c's seem to stick to wet roads great, but when you have a downpour and get a sheeting effect, then they definitely suck. A little torque and it gets loose on all 4. I wouldn't say they are dangerous in the wet, but they aren't aquatreads either.

I'm going to buy all seasons for mine on a second set of rims and I live in San Diego.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smikeevo
too fast for conditions. Too quick of a lane change. Improper safe attempt.
+1
Old Mar 8, 2009, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sucks man. Driving way to fast and about the car that passed you idk maybe he got lucky
Old Mar 8, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scottatyamaha
+1
To bad drivers ed isnt better... They should teach people how to recover from a car getting a little sideways. This issue sounds like it could have been easily corrected with a little throttle input and countersteer.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 03:03 PM
Account Disabled

dang bro good luck man . a day in racing school will teach you the fundamitals so this will never happen again . Yes neutral was a bad idea if any thing fearther the gas get straght and hammer it next time . but anyways go tear up the rental (drive it like you stole it will make you fill better )and wait for your baby to get fixed .
Old Mar 8, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was driving home in thsi same exact rain last night from Champaign and I hydroplaned a couple times as well....not to your extent of course but enough to make you very on edge. Indeed, the wrong move you made was being out of gear. But woulda/coulda/shoulda....you're fine and insruance is a beautiful thing.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 03:12 PM
Account Disabled

slow in fast out .
Old Mar 8, 2009, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by weap0n
No offense or anything.

But I don't think you should be blaming hydroplaning.

From what you have said it doesn't sound like hydroplaning at all. Hydroplaing is cause by speed combined with large pooling of water on the road. When hydroplaning a motor vehicle will travel in a straight line and will only change direction due to gravities effect on the vehicle in relation to the camber of the road surface.

In fact, it actually sounds like the coefficient of friction between the road surface and your tires (due to the rain) was low, and the car entered into a slide.

Basically, the cause of the crash sounds like you attempted to negotiate the turn at a speed too great for the road conditions. Making the same turn at a lower speed in the same conditions would have resulted in a far different outcome.

But enough of that. I'm sorry for you mate. I'm in the process of getting a new white EVO X and would hate for that to happen to me.

Good luck.

+1

you need to understand what caused the situation so it doesnt happen again, you were indeed going too fast for conditions.

I drive my X in alaska at single digit temps on my summer tires just fine because I understand that I have to drive to match the conditions (sometimes its pretty slow, but NOTHING demonstrates the ability of the evo's AWD system like lowspeed glare ice sliding, this car is amazing!! I HAVE to turn off the AYC to have ANY fun.. haha)

during an average week i see 10-30 vehicles in the ditch (most on their roof) during my commute to work, I've seen these accidents happen and 90% of them were because the driver was going too fast for equipment/conditions. (the other 10% was when the driver that was going too fast slid into someone else.. haha)

Originally Posted by BaLListic_EVO
To bad drivers ed isnt better... They should teach people how to recover from a car getting a little sideways. This issue sounds like it could have been easily corrected with a little throttle input and countersteer.
yeah, evo's can throttle out of a lot of wierd situations

Last edited by zTargeTz; Mar 8, 2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 03:32 PM
Account Disabled

im sure when you did this you never hit the brakes before slide during slide or right before the impact right ???
Old Mar 8, 2009, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

that sux man, yeah it rained like crazy throughout the city sporadically.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

sorry to hear about your accident. It was raining pretty hard and the roads are pretty bad. Good luck with the fix!
Old Mar 8, 2009, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

The only time the car should be in neutral is when its stopped. Power reduction during a slide pushes the back end around even more. Counter steer should be immediate and smooth, no jerking the wheel, and should be so the wheels face where you want to go. Then feather in the throttle. You should be learning how the tires grip dry pavement first.

Sorry to hear about your car, no one was hurt, you live and you learn.

Quick Reply: Hydroplaned Bad outcome