Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Took off intercooler plastic covers: Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good man, I think it looks more aggressive seeing the end tanks and stuff. I took mine off as well, and I'm still struggling to regain that ounce of performance and brake cooling I lost

Sure, everything on the car is engineered for a reason, but something like this is negligible and won't hurt any.

Here's mine:

Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks great
Old Aug 12, 2009, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Not a fan.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would look good with an aftermarket intercooler, but minimal amounts of air? Come on dude, stick your head out the window at 45 and tell me if it's minimal.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

I generally agree with the assessments that you probably shouldn't take it off for the exact aero reasons stated. However, I did so on mine when I put on the AMS FMIC.

For purely aesthetics, of course. I also figured that if HKS can do it to their Evo X, why not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYcZTAAwMwA
Old Aug 13, 2009, 03:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JerseyEvox
I think it looks badass.
looks much better with the plastic left in place. Removing the plastic makes it look kinda like you stuck an I.C. into an NA lancer.. just does not look like it was intended to come that way from the factory.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BigT
It just shows off the intercooler endtanks some more. I actually like the fact that they are functional and wouldn't remove them personally. To each his own...
I would think different with another part. I don’t think it is “critical” to win those plastics.
I haven't seen in details what is exactly behind those, other than the intercooler pipes and radiator; maybe I’m missing some electric cables.
As far as I see in the pictures is completely save to remove those plastics.
Personally I think Mitsubishi is using them for a few reasons:
1. To concentrate maybe a 5% more air to the intercooler.
2. To hide something that could look "unattractive" for a regular costumer. And follow the design lines.
3. To protect a little bit more your intercooler cores from objects flying 100 miles/h and entire engine bay from dust, bugs, condoms, etc.
4. To avoid people *****ing saying it’s a bad design to show all those parts to the exterior.
4. Other reasons unknown might apply.

If you have some extra cash backing you to pay for any of the reasons before I would certainly do it.
Yes it looks cool!

And I’m 90% sure it will lower down the temperature on your engine bay.
Same thing happen removing the fog lights. Here in Florida, those are completely unnecessary, performance wise, i will reduce weight, heat and add air flow directly to your oil cooler.

I will really appreciate if you take a few pictures showing a little bit more what is behind.
Maybe you should write a “HOW TO …”
I’m thinking to do it after a bigger intercooler. And I have the fog lights delete selected already.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't like it.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

So you've made your intercooler less effcient now because you think it looks cool?

What's next...stickers and a BOV?

I know, why don't you get some underbody LED's.

Last edited by DarwinX; Aug 13, 2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 09:55 AM

can any of you E-Engineers please show us how less efficient his intercooler is now please? I keep hearing in this thread how he messed this up and blah blah........I mean seriously please show us some data before making the assumption.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

DarwinX said:
So you've made your intercooler less effcient now because you think it looks cool?

Prove it.
The fact that now the sides of the intercooler are also receiving cool air might in fact lower down the temperatures. Who knows?
The fact that also the radiator is receiving directly fresh air might also lower down the coolant temperatures. Who knows?

Come on guys, you have being really rough with him
Look at the last Modified.com magazine look for the Evo x on the cover. It’s one of the badass Evo X and the front is completely open

Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Here's Mitsubishi's opinion :

Originally Posted by Mitsubishi Motors

Extensive development work on engine cooling was carried out in order to obtain the maximum performance from the LANCER EVOLUTION X. As an example of enhanced cooling performance, the structure for guiding air to the twin clutch SST oil cooler and the engine oil cooler is described below. Fig. 12 shows the front view of the vehicle. In order to efficiently cool the oil, the air taken from the center opening is guided via an air duct to the oil coolers. (Fig. 13)

Fig. 14 shows the CFD results of the flow for cooling. It can be seen that the cooling air enters the duct from the center opening and passes through it then flows into the oil coolers. Fig. 15 shows measurements of actual air flow velocity; the air flow velocity has increased by 50%.

Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:33 AM

I also think it diverts air to the radiator behind it. Without the plastic, the air goes around it, not through it. It certainly is the case with most other cars. DSM is a prime example. Lots of overheating stories without ducting after upgrading to a front mount. Air takes the least resistance path, which is where there are no ductings.

As for looks, not a fan.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alex3dworld
DarwinX said:

Prove it.
The fact that now the sides of the intercooler are also receiving cool air might in fact lower down the temperatures. Who knows?
The fact that also the radiator is receiving directly fresh air might also lower down the coolant temperatures. Who knows?

Come on guys, you have being really rough with him
Look at the last Modified.com magazine look for the Evo x on the cover. It’s one of the badass Evo X and the front is completely open

Fail.....
The front is not "open" those are brake ducts next to the intercooler.
This exact kit to be specific
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

dude i think you should put it back

you're getting hammered nasty!

Quick Reply: Took off intercooler plastic covers: Opinions?