Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Insideline Modified Evo X vs GT-R track battle!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UT_Evo
I'm sure most of them are as good as your precious Ryan Gates.
lol, you know you're good when you have lots of haters.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

looks like theres plenty of gtr competitors in the X forum huh guys????
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:33 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I thought there was quite a bit of lag with the Garret turbo... but maybe that was memories of the very early models. Isn't the fixed wastegate arm recent?

Ahh, damn California thanks.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I guess if all you care about is how the cars perform on a track that doesn't have many high speed areas... Sure. I can name a whole bunch of cars that would be worthless in that case.
indeed! even a 2008 evo x will be in that "worthless" list. anybody can pick a "slow" $x car and put in $y, where $x+$y<$z, and call a $z car worthless because the $x car now runs faster.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 02:44 PM

Why are some of the video parts have a wingless evo, but some have the wing? I don't understand.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

By the time they got done with the evo, it was returned to the shop with a toasted center diff, so maybe one should add about $4k to the total mod cost.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

The GT-R did pretty good with worn tires, with that GT-R trapping almost 120mph in the 1/4 the X's only chance is on a road course.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DigitalN.
Why are some of the video parts have a wingless evo, but some have the wing? I don't understand.
They had taken it off for looks, the put it back on at Willow because they said it made a difference. This info was in the blog but not mentioned in the article.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mj23foreva
lol, you know you're good when you have lots of haters.
It's obvious that there's something personal going on there. Ryan is local to me and every post from him suggests that he's a good guy. He's taken some of the locals for rides in his car...on a private test track, yeah...that's it.

Last edited by mlomker; Dec 21, 2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Angeal
The GT-R is waste of money if you are just in it for aftermarket performance.

There's plenty of aftermarket performance for the GT-R... it just cost a ton. You can get some nice gains just using the Cobb AP for the GT-R, but beyond that, parts can be very expensive. The JDM parts can just be nuts.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Hence the 'waste of money' part
Old Dec 21, 2009, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Same can be said about porsche 911 then.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

good on the evo 10.

i like the requirement to keep the back seats, ride height, etc. ams has already shown what can be done when the 10 has unlimited mods (that is, defeat similarly unlimited GTRs) and now we have a evo x that, from the beginning, is intended to do more than one thing well and is successful.

in short, the x can readily be modified to the same level as a GTR. which, by extension, makes it a world class platform.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

That's true, but the Evo X, IMO, has higher potential. From the factory, the GT-R is already built close to it's maximum potential. Modifying it is almost a complete waste. The GT-R is an illogical choice when it comes to modifying and even purchasing without modifying if all you want is a 500hp monster. Just get an Evo if you want a speed demon. Unless if you want some class, get the GT-R.

The GT-R is only an illogical choice if cost is a primary concern. Even then, it is more affordable than building something like a Novitec 430.

In no way is the GT-R any less upgradeable than the Evo X. It just cost more. There are tons of upgrades out there for the GT-R and to say the Evo X has more potential doesn't make any sense unless you want to build them only for autocross or rally.

Also, upgrading an Evo X is going to get you some thing that can rival the GT-R within certain parameters, but go ahead and start including parameters like 100-200 mph, or even 80-160 mph and they won't be playing the same game. i have owned both and while I won't go as far as Jeremy Clarkson in saying that the GT-R is twice the car the Evo is, I will say that with the GT-R you definitely know that you are driving a car that was built and designed from the beginning as a performance car.

Last edited by Sleestack; Dec 21, 2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Exactly. High end cars like that are just symbols of high status. Evo guys are not about that type of snobbery.
I have an Evo X and have owned the GT-R and many European cars. I bought the Evo X because I viewed it as a car that had great performance without the pretense.

Nevertheless, my Evo currently sits over at BR Racing next to a Novitec 430, a fully tuned 2010 GT3 and a 500 hp 135i. The guys who own those cars are no less car enthusiasts than any Evo X owner and to write off the beauty and performance of those cars is your loss if you are a car enthusiast.

The Evo is great and tuned, amazing, but cars aren't all built for shorter road courses or rally. Some people love taking their cars on high speed tracks, others to drag strips and some even find enlightenment at the salt mines. A Mercedes Cl 65 will do things at the salt mines an Evo can't and I can appreciate what that Mercedes does just as much as the Evo.

Last edited by Sleestack; Dec 21, 2009 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Insideline Modified Evo X vs GT-R track battle!