Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Washer fluid reservoir capacity = 1+ Gallon

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washer fluid reservoir capacity = 1+ Gallon

I removed my washer fluid reservoir today. Out of curiosity, I measured the volume of the contents. It measured almost exactly 1 gallon and the reservoir was just under the fill line. This is probably not particularly meaningful, except maybe to those who are considering reusing the washer reservoir for Meth/Water injection.

-Cheers

Last edited by supergengo; Jan 30, 2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 07:15 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Actually, that's pretty useful info, thanks! Just got my car, and the reservoir was completely empty.. now I just gotta figure out how to fill it up without spilling fluid everywhere.

You guys use a funnel or siphon for this, or just lean/crawl in and pour very carefully??
Old Jan 30, 2010, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

AFD - if you bought your car new, take it back to the dealer and let then figure it out. They should have filled it up as part of the make ready process.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AFD
Actually, that's pretty useful info, thanks! Just got my car, and the reservoir was completely empty.. now I just gotta figure out how to fill it up without spilling fluid everywhere.

You guys use a funnel or siphon for this, or just lean/crawl in and pour very carefully??
Just hook up any tube to your funnel and fill. Unless you just bought your car, the dealership is not going to fill up your reservoir tank for free.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by mrMTB
AFD - if you bought your car new, take it back to the dealer and let then figure it out. They should have filled it up as part of the make ready process.
I may be misunderstanding what's going on, but we're talking about windshield cleaning fluid, right? The stuff you will be refilling a few times a year...? Why can you not just pour it in?

I'm picking my Evo up Wednesday (assuming the snow in NC lets up by then) but the gist from this thread is that adding wiper fluid is a difficult process...
Old Jan 30, 2010, 09:25 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by harrytruman
I may be misunderstanding what's going on, but we're talking about windshield cleaning fluid, right? The stuff you will be refilling a few times a year...? Why can you not just pour it in?

I'm picking my Evo up Wednesday (assuming the snow in NC lets up by then) but the gist from this thread is that adding wiper fluid is a difficult process...
It's not difficult per say, but it's not as easy as the typical washer fluid under the hood. Reason being, the placement of the reservoir in the trunk. It's behind a plastic panel which is directly behind the rear seat. You'll know what we're talking about when you get the car. You can pour directly in, but it's easier to get a funnel
Old Jan 30, 2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by atombomb33
It's not difficult per say, but it's not as easy as the typical washer fluid under the hood. Reason being, the placement of the reservoir in the trunk. It's behind a plastic panel which is directly behind the rear seat. You'll know what we're talking about when you get the car. You can pour directly in, but it's easier to get a funnel
Ooooooh I totally forgot about that. Another question, then. Is there an easy way to drain the reservoir? I'm going to the dealership with a bottle of that sweet-*** Rain-X fluid in-hand.

P.S. I assumed you were all idiots for not being able to easily refill wiper fluid. I humbly apologize!
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by harrytruman
Ooooooh I totally forgot about that. Another question, then. Is there an easy way to drain the reservoir? I'm going to the dealership with a bottle of that sweet-*** Rain-X fluid in-hand.
You may have some trouble draining it completely without removing the reservoir. You should be able to get out most of it by disconnecting the line where it splits into a Y-shape (located between the battery and the reservoir). Fluid will start flowing out, so be ready to collect it into something low that can easily hold a gallon like an oil change pan. A bottle will probably not work well.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 04:51 PM

This might sound stupid but is there a warning indicator that comes on when the level is low?
Old Jan 30, 2010, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

It's only difficult if you are, quite literally, too stupid to be operating the vehicle in the first place.

If you've come far enough in life to afford a monthly payment on a souped up Lancer, afford an Internet connection, and are reading this post, I certify you intelligent enough to locate and fill the windshield washer fluid container.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 06:03 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrMTB
Originally Posted by whoang40
Unless you just bought your car, the dealership is not going to fill up your reservoir tank for free.
Ya, I just got the car yesterday and it probably should've been taken care of during prep, but I had it shipped across the country and driving 3,000 miles for $2 worth of fluid seems counter-intuitive, lol.

And thanks Whoang & Atombomb for the funnel and tube suggestions.. seems like such a dumb question to ask, but at least I didn't crawl in the trunk and get trapped, asking you guys where in the heck the glow-in-the-dark trunk release is located, lol.

Originally Posted by JAMiEvoX
This might sound stupid but is there a warning indicator that comes on when the level is low?
Good question.. I'd like to know as well. Didn't notice one anywhere, just a low fuel warning once. I'm only half-way through the manual, and didn't see anything other than where to fill it, and a recommendation to use anti-freezing washer fluid in colder climates. With everything else going on in the middle info display, you'd think it'd be there?
Old Jan 30, 2010, 06:10 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hotdog
It's only difficult if you are, quite literally, too stupid to be operating the vehicle in the first place.

If you've come far enough in life to afford a monthly payment on a souped up Lancer, afford an Internet connection, and are reading this post, I certify you intelligent enough to locate and fill the windshield washer fluid container.
Haha, thanks.. I'm glad you have such faith in our mad washer-filling skillz.

Just wanted to know if it was possible to pour from the jug without spillage.. if I'm smart enough to make it this far in life, I guess I'm smart enough to ask a simple question and learn from others' trial-and-error, eh?
Old Jan 30, 2010, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is so funny cause I actually just had to unfreeze my windshield wiper fluid ad fill it with cold weather fluid. It like 20 degrees out in Jersey and snowing. I started driving and and when I got salt all over my windows from road spray I went to use windshield wiper fluid to clean it and it wouldn't come out. I parked and went to check out why thinking it might be empty but no, it was frozen. So yeah point being if you are in cold weather climate change the stock windshield wiper fluid before its to late. And if you are reading this its probably too late lol.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 06:28 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Get Rad
This is so funny cause I actually just had to unfreeze my windshield wiper fluid ad fill it with cold weather fluid. It like 20 degrees out in Jersey and snowing..
Hmm.. I'm in the snow-belt (it's 10º right now) and don't remember a single time I had the washer fluid freeze (just the nozzles when clogged up with snow/ice) in any of the cars I park outside. The stores around here only carry the blue stuff and the green stuff for bugs, that I've noticed. Guess it probably wouldn't hurt to check the parts store for a cold-weather mix, though.

ETA: Ahha, got it! The bottle of regular blue I purchased earlier tonight was listed in fine print as -20º anti-freezing. So I guess either that's all they sell around here, or maybe they alternate back-and-forth between formulas for summer and winter seasons? Geez, I worked in a filling station for years ordering cases of washer fluid, and never once gave it much thought. Reading is fundamental, lol.

Last edited by AFD; Jan 30, 2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AFD
Hmm.. I'm in the snow-belt (it's 10º right now) and don't remember a single time I had the washer fluid freeze (just the nozzles when clogged up with snow/ice) in any of the cars I park outside. The stores around here only carry the blue stuff and the green stuff for bugs, that I've noticed. Guess it probably wouldn't hurt to check the parts store for a cold-weather mix, though.
Yeah I couldn't believe it. I checked inside the drunk and it was frozen. I bought the orange rain-x stuff which was rated for -25 when I mixed it in it eventually melted the frozen fluid. It basically acted like throwing salt. So I'm all set now

Quick Reply: Washer fluid reservoir capacity = 1+ Gallon