Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

new exhaust makes interior vibrate.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new exhaust makes interior vibrate.

Hello, I just recently installed my invidia N1 catback. I noticed that the interior noticeably vibrates, especially during high rpms coins and my cell phone starts rattling on the plastic, you could also feel it on the shifter when i change gears at low rpm's. Is this normal? If not any suggestions on how to fix this? Also don't know if this affects the vibrations but the car hasn't been tuned yet.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:22 PM

most aftermarket exhaust will makes it vibrate, but dunno about the change gear part.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Aznknight47
most aftermarket exhaust will makes it vibrate, but dunno about the change gear part.
As far as the changing gears the vibration is very subtle, so i think that might be normal.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What's your girlfriend's opinion on the interior vibrations
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

make sure nothing is hitting the driveshaft
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JoeyM3
make sure nothing is hitting the driveshaft
Yeah that. Admittedly I am not too familiar with the Invidia, but is it clearing the under carriage; e.g. not contacting anything else?

Any after market exhaust is going to increase NVH.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 04:01 AM
Evolving Member

i have the nvidia n1 as well and it rattles like all hell. i have a testpipe so im sure mines worse..
Old Mar 8, 2010, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

Yea I thought my X rattled a lot before my exhaust, after the catback and test pipe, feels like im in a $200 beater, lol.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 06:08 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
I had this on a different exhaust. I noticed the factory heat shield above the stock muffler rattles like crazy. 4 nuts to remove it, and the vibration sound was gone completely. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Welcome to EVO!
Old Mar 8, 2010, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

I rode in a X on saturday with ETS V2 turbo back with testpipe and same deal - the center console and even seat felt like it was vibrating. Seemed to do it most at 3000 rpms or so.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
I rode in a X on saturday with ETS V2 turbo back with testpipe and same deal - the center console and even seat felt like it was vibrating. Seemed to do it most at 3000 rpms or so.
I don't know if this helps but I had some interior vibration (felt through seat of the pants) and a disconcerting highway drone with a custom twin Magnaflow setup (nothing was rubbing or touching, all rubber isolated hangers); I changed out the cat back portion for the MXP exhaust and the noise and tone stayed the same but the vibration and drone are completely gone! It is my humble opinion that a sideways muffler like the MXP (or the Invidia Gemini for that matter) is what the X was designed for and will provide the least problems with added vibration. The car still made 330 AWHP on CA 91 with a tune and otherwise stock so I guess the exhaust works
Old Mar 8, 2010, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ct63084
Hello, I just recently installed my invidia N1 catback. I noticed that the interior noticeably vibrates, especially during high rpms coins and my cell phone starts rattling on the plastic, you could also feel it on the shifter when i change gears at low rpm's. Is this normal? If not any suggestions on how to fix this? Also don't know if this affects the vibrations but the car hasn't been tuned yet.

my invidia does the same thing, 40k car and everything vibrates !!!!
Old Mar 8, 2010, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
Shut it!!!! You know you liked it!
Old Mar 8, 2010, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

weird... i have the AMS single-exit catback and test pipe and now the o2 housing/downpipe..

my X doesn't vibrate really... i have the regular vibrations that most others do but nothing in terms of what your saying...

my car is noticeably louder since my downpipe especially going uphill but thats really it... no vibrations.. could it be the exhaust is too close to the rear bumper maybe? or try the heat shield removal that was suggested

Quick Reply: new exhaust makes interior vibrate.