Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

this blows, have to replace windshield on my two day old Evo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evoix10
The generic one is fine. You shouldnt notice a difference. I have a generic one on mine, no problems
did you have the dealership body shop install it or any local body shop would do?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

I guess you won't be stock anymore
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stlgrym3
you sure i can use the '08 W/S? my local body shop was able to find a genuine '08 W/S for 500 bucks. but he kept telling me he can't guarantee that it'll fit on my '10. should i just go with that instead of paying dealer over 1k for the replacement.
What do you mean by W/S ?
Im guessing sunroof ?

If so yes they should be the same . Best bet is to contact the dealer and ask for both of the part numbers .

It would be best to contact 2 different dealers . Doesnt matter if there out of town or state part numbers are part numbers .
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
is it safe to drive with a crack two feet long? the local body shop guy told me it's okay since the windshield is made of two panels and only the outside one has the crack, but he told me cops will give me ticket if they see it.
The cops will ticket you and yeah it's two panels and probably safe
Old Mar 22, 2010, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

did you have the dealership body shop install it or any local body shop would do?
It was a company my insurance company suggested to me. Something like Safelite auto glass or safety auto glass. But they were willing to go to where ever i was so they replaced it in my garage The tech also brought along his attractive single daughter so i had someone to talk to
Old Mar 22, 2010, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Safelite auto glass is a great company and repair/replace glass much cheaper than others.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Xtremist
Safelite auto glass is a great company and repair/replace glass much cheaper than others.
yeah, called them just right now. problem is on their website, they don't even have Evolution listed as one of the models by Mitsubishi. they only have Lancer listed. when the guy called back, he had no idea what an Evolution is, he kept ask me whether it's a suv or 4 door sedan, i told him it's a sedan, then he say all sedans should use the same windshield.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 02-Lancer-Es
What do you mean by W/S ?
Im guessing sunroof ?

If so yes they should be the same . Best bet is to contact the dealer and ask for both of the part numbers .

It would be best to contact 2 different dealers . Doesnt matter if there out of town or state part numbers are part numbers .
W/S = windshield. called two dealers so far, both quoted the '10 factory oem windshield around 900 bucks. i think i'm going through the insurance route and get an oem one for '08 Evo MR and call it a day.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, called them just right now. problem is on their website, they don't even have Evolution listed as one of the models by Mitsubishi. they only have Lancer listed. when the guy called back, he had no idea what an Evolution is, he kept ask me whether it's a suv or 4 door sedan, i told him it's a sedan, then he say all sedans should use the same windshield.
I think i might of had that problem too with my evo 9 last year. But they had a long list for the "lancer" and they described each one to me over the phone. Really the only differences were the upper sun tint area. I think they call it solar guard? The one i got was a near perfect match to the oem.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys, I spent 7 years in the auto glass industry. Trust me!! You don't want the dealer or body shop changing your windshield. The dealer is probabley the worst place to call because they will just have a glass company replace it and then charge a couple hundred bucks extra. Call an auto glass company. Its what they do every day. If its not done right with the right tools, it will rust, leak and give you nothing but problems. Most of the glass you get from auto glass companies is OEM. It may not say mitsubishi on it but its still OEM.
Glass is covered under your comprehensive insurance but some states make you pay a deductible.
Too much to post here, if you have any questions shoot me a pm. I'm not on every day but at least a few times a week.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:04 PM

got a safelite for mine called all the installers in town, bidded them against each other paid something like 500 (generic), bought mine because didnt want ins. premium to rise. oh and guy came to my house to install it..
Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by misterhaahaa
got a safelite for mine called all the installers in town, bidded them against each other paid something like 500, bought mine because didnt want ins. premium to rise.
when you called and provided your make and model of your car, did you tell them Evolution or Lancer? all they have on their website is Lancer and when they called me back for a quote they asked me if Evolution is an suv.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

ins is your friend!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by misterhaahaa
bought mine because didnt want ins. premium to rise.
Depending on the state you'll have to pay the deductible but its not a moving violation. It wont cause your ins to go up.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

anyone else here had experience with Safelite Auto Glass?

Quick Reply: this blows, have to replace windshield on my two day old Evo