Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Debating between Evo GSR and Audi A5

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debating between Evo GSR and Audi A5

Hi All,

I have been visiting this site for a while and wanted to get some advice/comments from this crowd.

Some info about myself. I am 29 and currently driving a bmw 330i (2006) and I have a chance to get into either an Evo GSR non SSS or an audi a5 2.0T. I know that the two cars are very different but I am torn between the two. Keep in mind that my previous cars were 03 WRX and a 00 S2000.

I know that the the evo is really fun to drive (never driven it) but the A5 is really beautiful. The price difference between the two is about $10k when all said and done but have yet to see the A5 in person.

Has anyone driven the A5 and how does that compare to the Evo?

I know that I am choosing performance or luxury and a 4 dr sedan vs a sports coupe but most of all, I want to make sure I choose a car that I will enjoy driving it.

I have been wanting an Evo since it came out and the evo x seems more suitable for peeps my age. Since I will be starting a family in a few years, a 4 dr may be more useful than a coupe.

My plans for the evo (if I do get it) will probably be mostly cosmetics and a cat back exhaust. I dont drive crazy all the time so big power may not be necessary.

I also wanted to ask you guys if you think the evo will last a long time if I dont go crazy with the mods. I got about 120 - 130k with the wrx at cobb stage 2 and it was still running like the day I got it. I am thinking that if I do get a new Evo, I will not be switching cars for a while so wanted to make sure that if proper maintenance is done, nothing crazy should happen.

Ok, I know I have said a lot but since its time to make a decision, I wanted to just reach out to you guys for some feedbacks.

Thanks all.
Ed
Old Apr 22, 2010, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

A5 looks Bad A**.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:23 AM

Hey Ed,

know how you feel. I currently drive a 08 MR, my brother recently bought an S5. I know there is a significant difference between an A5 and an S5 but i think they are still along the same "feel".

I'll be honest even when i am in his Audi and when i drive it i still have a warm fuzzy feeling about my car. The Audi is raw class and design but the evo has the element of uniqueness and raw performance.

you're still quite young at 29, i say get the Evo drive it for a few years and then somewhere down the line if financial permits it go for the full Audi experience and get an S4/S6/S5

If anything think of it this way, the 2.0T A5 is the entry-level of the A5 line and the evo is the premiere level of the Lancer line (or Mitsubishi for that matter).

All in all go for the A5 if you want to be pampered in luxury and comfort and place high importance on styling, but don't want to place any value on driving dynamics and response.

Go for the Evo if you are willing to live with rattles, Shhhhhhhhh******t gas mileage, sub-par interior finish. BUT you get the ultimate driving pleasure due to surgical steering, all weather perfection (trust me i live in Canada and this car is a tank... i almost love driving it more in the snow) and mind blowing fun. and if you are into customizing your car, the evo is a lot more friendly. I don' t mean crazy mods, i mean anything from basic interior upgrading to fun "lite" engine mods.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by evox_mtl
Hey Ed,

know how you feel. I currently drive a 08 MR, my brother recently bought an S5. I know there is a significant difference between an A5 and an S5 but i think they are still along the same "feel".

I'll be honest even when i am in his Audi and when i drive it i still have a warm fuzzy feeling about my car. The Audi is raw class and design but the evo has the element of uniqueness and raw performance.

you're still quite young at 29, i say get the Evo drive it for a few years and then somewhere down the line if financial permits it go for the full Audi experience and get an S4/S6/S5

If anything think of it this way, the 2.0T A5 is the entry-level of the A5 line and the evo is the premiere level of the Lancer line (or Mitsubishi for that matter).

All in all go for the A5 if you want to be pampered in luxury and comfort and place high importance on styling, but don't want to place any value on driving dynamics and response.

Go for the Evo if you are willing to live with rattles, Shhhhhhhhh******t gas mileage, sub-par interior finish. BUT you get the ultimate driving pleasure due to surgical steering, all weather perfection (trust me i live in Canada and this car is a tank... i almost love driving it more in the snow) and mind blowing fun. and if you are into customizing your car, the evo is a lot more friendly. I don' t mean crazy mods, i mean anything from basic interior upgrading to fun "lite" engine mods.

Hope this helps.
Great advice. I personally didnt have any issue with my WRX interior so I should be fine with the EVO interior. I rather enjoy the driving experience rather than the luxurious items.

I think you summed up pretty good regarding the fact that the A5 is the entry level line and if I go Audi, I should aim for the S5 or S4 in the future.

If I may ask a side question, does all GSR come with Bluetooth? That was something I liked in the BMW.

Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:38 AM

a5 with 2.0t? have fun moving all that mass...if it came with the v8, i'd buy the a5.

between the two you put in front of us, evo.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by jumpman86
Great advice. I personally didnt have any issue with my WRX interior so I should be fine with the EVO interior. I rather enjoy the driving experience rather than the luxurious items.

I think you summed up pretty good regarding the fact that the A5 is the entry level line and if I go Audi, I should aim for the S5 or S4 in the future.

If I may ask a side question, does all GSR come with Bluetooth? That was something I liked in the BMW.

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure it's not a standard option but you can ask for it to be installed from the dealership as an accessory.

i am glad i helped. and good luck with the shopping
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

I'd go audi personally. For what your needs are (4-Door, starting a family, not super into modding, longevity w/o problems) its the right fit. If I was in your position the choice would be simple for me. I like the Evo, dont get me wrong, but the Audi seems a better fit all bias aside. This Evo will honestly be the 1st and last one I'm likely to own. I'll be stepping back into the European market after this. Just can't beat the quality and comfort.

Last edited by CC16; Apr 22, 2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

A5 way nicer than an evo any day
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by CC16
I'd go audi personally. For what your needs are (4-Door, starting a family, not super into modding, longevity w/o problems) its the right fit. If I was in your position the choice would be simple for me. I like the Evo, dont get me wrong, but the Audi seems a better fit all bias aside.
except that the A5 is not a 4 door and not the most practical for rear seat access. Though i know the Evo is not massive in the back it still has dedicated doors and surprisingly good leg room.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evox_mtl
except that the A5 is not a 4 door and not the most practical for rear seat access. Though i know the Evo is not massive in the back it still has dedicated doors and surprisingly good leg room.
I missed that important point. I'd go with another Audi 4 door then still over the Evo, for his reasons. Altho if it was a broader horizon I'd be going with a BMW.

Last edited by CC16; Apr 22, 2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

I have an 06 330i as the daily driver as well.

The A5 is a piece of **** fwiw the s5 is a lot better but not worth the money. I would totally go evo or if you want more luxury than that and still performance get an E60 M5 for around the same price
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Morse
I have an 06 330i as the daily driver as well.

The A5 is a piece of **** fwiw the s5 is a lot better but not worth the money. I would totally go evo or if you want more luxury than that and still performance get an E60 M5 for around the same price
well i wouldn't say it's a piece of ****. It's a great car BUT for it's target market. I mean it's a great car for those who just want a great looking calm luxurious coupe. But i do agree with the direction, i am not a fan of the 2.0T, don't think it embodies what an A5 should be, which is a sporty coupe, at 211 HP it seams a little underpowered and you just don't get that v6/v8 growl which adds a lot to the feeling of driving such a car.

the e60 is great but it would have to be used. I you absolutely wanted luxury coupe but didn't want to make too much compromise on the driving enjoyment I'd go for a 328ci, or even a 6speed accord V6 coupe. You'd be surprised with the honda, i've driven one and it's a great GT coupe.

my 2 cents
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:05 AM

Yeah, the A4 is probably what you are thinking about. If I go A4, I may as well continue to drive my bmw.

Just so you guys know. I do like my BMW 330i and it is a CPO. However, I did bring my car back like 5 - 6 times for warranty work in the past 1.3 year. Also, the reason I am looking to switch is because I found out my dealer never disclosed to me that the car was hit in their dealer lot prior to my purchase. It was a hit and run and my car was stationary. The dealer claimed that they informed me that the bumper was repainted due to scratches but not the fact that a police report was filed and that a car accident report would show up in carfax 6 months after my purchase. The dealer is now willing to buy it back (higher than what i got for a trade in from a mitsu dealer but lower than what nada report calls for). I am still negotiating the buy back price.

So for all of the others looking to get an used car, make sure you have everything in writing. In my case, certain information was missing from all the document (hit and run incident) that I received.

Thanks for all who is replying to this thread.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:06 AM

The GSR is a blast to drive and my 9 year old thinks the back seat is very comportable, but If this is a car you want to drive your family around in for long distances, you may want to drive the GSR on the highway at your crusing speed. I drove my GSR for four hours yesterday at between 75-85 mph and it is loud (stock exhaust). Revs at 85 mph are in the 4K range (like your S2K but louder).
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Silver05Bullet
A5 way nicer than an evo any day
why? you talking about luxury and looks?

Quick Reply: Debating between Evo GSR and Audi A5