Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Debating between Evo GSR and Audi A5

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on some of the threads I've read recently... try to get Audi Customer Service with your Evo. Or get Audi to service your Evo. Then you'll be in the money!
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I went through a similar decision, not quite the same, but between S4 and Evo X GSR. I test drove the S4, and was quite impressed. It was both powerful, and handled well. Big bootfuls of throttle mid-corner resulted in a brief moment of wheelspin at one wheel then traction. It was, of course, more refined than the Evo. As for the image, I tend to be put off by the Audi elitism aspect, but I am not hung up on it. And while I have nothing against other people driving BMW's, I just wouldn't.

In the end I would have been happy with the dynamics of either, but the GSR was about $17k less than the S4, and it sure as hell didn't bring $17k worth of extra fun to the party. Although Audi were going to through in 3 years of maintenance...

Now, having buried the throttle in the GSR on the same twisty road I took the S4 on, I am a confirmed Evo fan. It feels 1000lb lighter and more nimble and just more ALIVE.

I came from an 07 STi, which I still love, but it would be in terminal understeer at the speeds I can corner in the Evo :-)

Same sentiment as others in the end. If you want the more exciting driving experience, go for the Evo !!! If you value the refinement and luxury more, go for the Audi...

Jim M.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TruSlide
You have to change rotors with brakes... everytime. period. no way around it.
Routine maintenance is expensive as hell.
No $hit ! I almost bought an A6 before I bought my X. I just wanted a 50K or lesser car so that I could pay it off within an year. I decided to get the 38K evo and add 12K to it over 3 years to make it better than the Audi could ever have been in my hands.

As for maintenance, I think the evo is pretty expensive too, if you were to get the same level of care as an audi dealership would provide at a specialized evo shop. It would still be lesser than the Audi, but a lot by itself none the less.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gr8dc2b
once you drive the 5 series Audi, and then drive the Evo, you will have the suprisingly impressed concept in mind upon getting out of the Evo driver's seat. It is hard to explain, but you will be impressed.
Tell me all about it. When I was car shopping, I and my wife went to Subaru (STI), Acura (RL), Audi (A4 & A6) and Mitsubishi (Evo X) in that order. I was just so tired before I went in to the dealership and the sales guy was scoping me out if we deserved a test drive or not, I just hated the feeling of even being there. But once I made the first turn in the evo, everything I drove before was forgotten. You remember the scene in Ratatoullie when the villain tastes the dish the mouse makes and gets smacked into his memories of childhood, that was kind of how I felt in the GSR. It was mind blowing since I never drove a car with that quick a steering and sharp turn in.

Then I made my wife drive it, I told her, "you've got to drive this". Same thing happened, first turn came, and she was all giggles.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by vassili
370z, 2011 mustang gt, 2010 wrx (straight line speed), 2010 STI, 135i, cobalt ss even...lol

umm, na i don't think any of those cars out perform the evo, none of those cars can hang with the evo on a road course, straight line sure, but when we say performance we mean all around!!
Old Apr 23, 2010, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Evo...hands down
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Dude... Audi is expensive. If you are SERIOUSLY considering it, call them and ask them how much the routine services cost so you can get an idea. And FYI, the cost fluctuates every year or so. When I bought my Audi, they tried to sell me a pre-paid service plan so basically i'd pay $700 ahead of time for the 50K and 60K mile service because after this-and-that date, the prices were jumping by by the hundreds for each service. When I had to get my sunroof replaced (because everything goes bad on those cars) it would have cost me $1500 to have it replaced luckily I had my extended warranty.

Another experience was the Engine. So many things went bad... PC valve, Diverter Valve, Fuel pump, fuel pump regulator, and some other things I cant remember.

If you do get an Audi, don't run the car when you have less than a 1/4 of a tank. Coming from the service adviser... "If you run it while it's low on gas, it could cause the fuel pump regulator to malfunction causing the car to throw a CEL" I had to take my car in because everytime I'd get on it, once the car went over 99mph the CEL came on...

Just some food for thought for ya so you can make an informed decision brotha.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

well really depends on what you need!!! if you ask sti or evo thats hard to pick, but a5 and evo are two different cars... evo is more fun and powerful