Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Stock cat bad?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your mod list says Turbo XS HFC... isn't that picture the stocker, though?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah he noticed that happened to the stocker when he put on the HFC
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:23 AM

wow...that's crazy
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Oh. Reading helps.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:07 PM

When i called the dealer they said i would have to put the stock cat back on, then take it to them so they can check it out. Because if i go now with it off then they will say that the damage was done after it was off the car.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:45 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by GundamPilot
I have not seen a thread with this much misinformation in a long time, so I felt compelled to respond.

From this picture (which is very little to go by), that cat looks fine.

The stock 08 tune sucks for sure, but one opinion on it is that it was done that way to preserve catalyst life. Rich factory tune = low EGTs = long cat life. There are cars that have very high EGTs and hotter exhaust pulses (the Mazda RX-8's NA rotary comes to mind) that actually damaged cats with a more aggressive tune.

My opinion is that exhaust shop doesn't know crap. It looks burnt because its coated with lots of soot from running rich. Its not burnt.

If a cat becomes bad and therefore "inefficient", you don't need a muffler shop to tell you! Your car will tell you. It will throw a catalyst inefficiency code.

One sure fire way to ruin a cat fairly quickly is to run leaded race gas through it. While this will kill O2 sensors over time, it will flat out fry cats. The old shop I used had a few customers with older Evos with stock cats start to throw catalyst inefficiency codes, but it was very, very rare. 100% of the time, the customer had run race gas with the stock cat in place.

I'd lay money that cat is fine. There is no problem that you believed this at first, someone told you and you accepted it. But you need to know it is BS. Have a great weekend.

Last edited by Noize; Apr 30, 2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: rich, not tick. pwnt by autocorrect.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
I have not seen a thread with this much misinformation in a long time, so I felt compelled to respond.

The stock 08 tune sucks for sure, but one opinion on it is that it was done that way to preserve catalyst life. Rich factory tune = low EGTs = long cat life. There are cars that have very high EGTs and hotter exhaust pulses (the Mazda RX-8's NA rotary comes to mind) that actually damaged cats with a more aggressive tune.

My opinion is that exhaust shop doesn't know crap. It looks burnt because its coated with lots of soot from running tick. Its not burnt.

If a cat becomes bad and therefore "inefficient", you don't need a muffler shop to tell you! Your car will tell you. It will throw a catalyst inefficiency code.

One sure fire way to ruin a cat fairly quickly is to run leaded race gas through it. While this will kill O2 sensors over time, it will flat out fry cats. The old shop I used had a few customers with older Evos with stock cats start to throw catalyst inefficiency codes, but it was very, very rare. 100% of the time, the customer had run race gas with the stock cat in place.

I'd lay money that cat is fine. There is no problem that you believed this at first, someone told you and you accepted it. But you need to know it is BS. Have a great weekend.
Agree with Noize. Cat is fine.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

My opinion is that exhaust shop doesn't know crap. It looks burnt because its coated with lots of soot from running tick. Its not burnt.

Old Apr 30, 2010, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

It looks good.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 05:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
yeh it looks ok to me...

maybe if you can get a better angle, and just crop everything except for the mesh and make the picture igger that would help...
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Noize...
question for you. Reading about the race gas... if I use octane boost every once in a while when I fill up, will that damage anything? How about the fuel injector cleaners or the other fuel additives made by STP?

Thanks.
Old May 1, 2010, 04:14 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Both of those won't harm a cat at all.
Race gas and that Torco crap will.