Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

bucking in low gears

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A part of the problem is the stock turbo. My car use to buck bad in 5th gear since I'd often be cruising right about the point the turbo is hitting max boost. The car really doesn't like to be below 3k when moving.

A lot of things improve when the car is tuned. I have trouble with my six puck if I try to shift with revs below 2k but you guys needed to shift the stock clutch at 4k? Sorry, but I think you need more practice and it's not the car.
Old May 25, 2010, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

I thought my girlfriend how to drive in my EVO and surprisingly, it only took her 10 minutes to learn the physics of shifting. And before you know it, she was on the street driving.

Usually when you are a noob at stick shift, people alway tells you to rev match or rev high RPM that way it wouldnt buck too much. I showed my gf a different way of doing it and i think she gotten a hang of it pretty quick.

First off, you would clutch in then give it enough gas to like about 1-2k and slowly let go the clutch, once you feel the car is slightly moving then give it more gas but not too much, and at the same time do not let drop the clutch yet. Because people tend to either forget the clutch or just let go of it completely. drop your clutch slowly and once you give it a good amount of gas then release it all the way.

That should do it. Practice in a parking where there is those little hills, you can practice there too. And that is pretty much it. Good luck !
Old May 25, 2010, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah like i said i mastered my "hiccup" problem. Next step for me is using my whole foot on the clutch from a dead stop instead of resting my heel on the floor. Even though I had more control I think letting off with an ankle roll takes too much time and its harder to feel the "biting resistance". Any who, I'll work on some flat ground tomorrow morning considering I got into a habit of showing up to work an hour early to beat traffic for some practice on that hiccup problem. cheers guys

Last edited by tehSteve; May 25, 2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old May 26, 2010, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

wow that sucked lol...
Old May 26, 2010, 12:58 PM

I was going to say, it could be spark plugs but nevermind
Old May 26, 2010, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Since everyone else is putting in their 2 cents Ill throw mine is. I drive mine almost everyday over 100km in rain, wet and snow from -30C to 30C above. So I deal with a range of minor issues.

First of all the car bucks more when its cold epecially getting stuck in traffic and stuck on hills. So once it warms up a bit and revs stabilize it gets better. The smoother you get driving it in traffic jams and getting stuck on hills (I often make a 30minute commute take 1.5 hours due to insane traffic where I live). You can drive that thing like all standards in very low revs if your smooth on the gas. You can also let it drive in idle in 2nd for long periods of time once its warm.

Shifting the lower gears below 2000-3000rpm causing a little bit of stutter; moreso when the oil is cold.