Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Weird Buck from 1st into 2nd

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Buck from 1st into 2nd

Hey guys I was wondering how to prevent the infamous buck going from first into 2nd gear. All the other gears are smooth as silk, but it seems that everytime I get it into second the rear of the car "bumps upwards". Some people say be slower on the clutch release, but that isn't working. I shift into 2nd around 3400-3700 rpms and it seems as if no matter how I modulate the clutch play the rear bumps up asap I bring it back slowly to the bite and continue releasing. Is it possible for the rear differentials to have gotten loose? I'm about to get an oil change and a tranny flush... should that help a bit? Could it be bad synchroes or a vacuum, torque converter, maybe i need an ecu reflash, bad solenoid lol? Other than getting into 2nd the car is a blast! Just wondering what it can be.

Last edited by tehSteve; Jul 22, 2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

1000k on stock. Grabs beautifully, no signs on slipping after testing it today on the Garden State Parkway. No "shuddering" or anything taking off. Also no lurching forward unless it is at an extremely low rpm which one shouldn't do lol. Just remembered can a CDV cause this? Prob not since it's supposed to "help" you shift.

Last edited by tehSteve; Jul 22, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

Its probably not a torque converter cause your cars a manual.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it's the driver. you're car is fine.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

I believe this happens when the clutch is released too fast and/or not enough throttle is used.

definitely a driver issue
Old Jul 23, 2010, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup ... sounds like your revs are just not matching up perfectly when you shift and the engine/transmission are having to sync up when the clutch grabs. Play with your timing of the shift ... the foot work and the time it takes you to shift all affect this.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

yea it took me a while to adjust to it to when i was new in my evo x, when you shift from first wait about half a second befor eu start to let off the clutch allowing the rpm to drop down so that when u do start to let off the clutch and give it gas, youll be around the right rpm for it to be a smooth shift. good luck
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

i've been having this problem too, new to the evo X as well. sometimes i notice if i shift wrong, getting the lever into 2nd feels wrong (feels like what happens if you don't fully pushy the clutch down when shifting, although i am pushing the clutch all the way in).

if i shift around 3.5k and give it just a little push of gas in first right before shifting, it seems to be pretty a lot smoother. getting the lever into 2nd feels right when i do it right too.

i think part of the issue is it's really a heavy car. you don't notice it too much in daily driving because it has such a strong engine, but getting it to go from stop does require things to happen precisely to make it smooth.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xdmitrix
i think part of the issue is it's really a heavy car. you don't notice it too much in daily driving because it has such a strong engine, but getting it to go from stop does require things to happen precisely to make it smooth.
it's more that the power output without the turbo spooling is pretty anemic and the gearing is set up for acceleration, so you need to step on it between gears. no ***** footing or it will shift like crap.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

I'll have to try that dek thanks for the tip. I've been tending to go easy on it since i'm new to the car and i drive in congested areas where it's hard to push it faster than the other cars in front of me.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xdmitrix
I'll have to try that dek thanks for the tip. I've been tending to go easy on it since i'm new to the car and i drive in congested areas where it's hard to push it faster than the other cars in front of me.
i know what you mean. a little turbo spool in each gear helps it shift better like i said. in congested areas i usually back off on how hard i accelerate and rev it to 4k rpms before shifting and that works too or else you have to rev match using throttle and clutch.

i am surprised there are so many new people having problems driving these cars.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

i wouldn't call my issues a problem , i'm just learning the car. 95% of the time i do things smoothly and the 5% of the time i get the job done, but wonder how i can do things better.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:38 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

smh
Old Jul 23, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

why smh? everyone's got to learn sometime. i tried going a little past 4k rpm in first before going into 2nd on the way home, it's really smooth. thanks for the tip.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

glad it helped you a bit.

this is a smh thread. this OP has so many SMH thread that it is ridiculous.

once you are proficient at driving at manual and it becomes second nature, you'll syh when you see threads like this.

the majority of people didn't learn stick on their evo and have been doing it for years but you got to learn sometime. what the OP needs to do is ride around with someone and practice on his own. A forum isn't going to offer as much as real world experience and that not just the basics but extends to all areas of knowledge/ability with cars/life.

Quick Reply: Weird Buck from 1st into 2nd